Today's article is about an easy way to deal with frozen applications...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It's not always an option, sometimes things are too frozen to use this method. But, when you can use it (when you can access a terminal), it works well enough.

Feedback is awesome.

That works. Quite deadly!

Just click in the middle of the page somewhere....and kapoof !...Gone...Closed.

Yeah, you don't really want to miss-click with that - especially if your work is unsaved!

It's rather indiscriminate.

It's worth creating a keyboard shortcut for xkill (if one doesn't exist already), just in case Terminal is inaccessible.

The shortcut in Mint is Ctrl+Alt+Escape but you can change it to whatever suits you.

It's not always an option, sometimes things are too frozen to use this method. But, when you can use it (when you can access a terminal), it works well enough.

Feedback is awesome.

It might be an idea to add a warning NOT to Accidentally click the Desktop instead of the Frozen App.
I found out years ago that can really mess up your day . . :)

It's worth creating a keyboard shortcut for xkill (if one doesn't exist already), just in case Terminal is inaccessible.

The shortcut in Mint is Ctrl+Alt+Escape but you can change it to whatever suits you.

Huh... I did not know that. Proof positive that I do not, in fact, know everything! :)

It might be an idea to add a warning NOT to Accidentally click the Desktop instead of the Frozen App.

That's probably a good idea.

You both are more than welcome to leave a comment at the site. The site is an ongoing project of mine, where I'm getting my notes (and more) online. It's a year-long project but it's pretty safe to assume that I'll not be stopping after a year. It has been great fun and very, very educational (for me - as well as others).

Seriously... Everyone should do a project like this. It''s amazing what you'll learn.

I'm a sick puppy - I read Condobloke's reply "
That works. Quite deadly!
Just click in the middle of the page somewhere....and kapoof !...Gone...Closed."

and thought of replying to that with:
Just click in the middle of the Desktop somewhere...and kapoof !...

Then I thought I had better make my reply a WARNING instead - just in case someone does

I don;t know if anything has changed in the last ten years or so - but if it still works the same way, then seriously (from experience):
DO NOT click the X-kill cursor on the Desktop

You can get your desktop back - but it will freak you out until you do. :cool:

That's one of the (many) benefits to asking for feedback. To me, it was painfully obvious. There was no need to issue a warning, 'cause I told you what was going to happen if you did it. From my perspective, that didn't need any additional warning.

I have since added a warning.

that's beautiful, i just skimmed it. It's funny how earlier today, since i'm now back in the swing of things, i found that if you want to kill EVERY WINDOW

(save your data first...)

you just hit Ctrl + Alt + Backspace, with that and xkill you can solve all your problems if you're not opening too much idle stuff at once...

Huh... I did not know that. Proof positive that I do not, in fact, know everything! :)

That's probably a good idea.

You both are more than welcome to leave a comment at the site. The site is an ongoing project of mine, where I'm getting my notes (and more) online. It's a year-long project but it's pretty safe to assume that I'll not be stopping after a year. It has been great fun and very, very educational (for me - as well as others).

Seriously... Everyone should do a project like this. It''s amazing what you'll learn.

From your updated article -
I’m also told that CTRL+ALT+ESC is a shortcut in Mint for this, but I can’t seem to make it work.

I should have said that it works in Mint Xfce, I can't vouch for the other Mint desktops. Out of interest I checked on Xubuntu and it also uses CTRL+ALT+ESC for xkill.

I'll be more specific about which desktop I'm using in future ;)

Oh I remember that, that's the linux ctrl + alt + delete?

As @Condobloke linked (yay for it being my article), it's kinda like the nuclear option. When CTRL ALT DEL situations wouldn't work, REISUB would if they'd had that on Windows.

I should have said that it works in Mint Xfce, I can't vouch for the other Mint desktops.

Duly noted. I will get to it. I have very poor bandwidth right now. A tree fell on the lines. Power will probably be restored in a day (as we're pretty remove) but the phone company can take a while. I have one bar of cell phone bandwidth - and a ton of obligations.

Yeah, i'm using linux mint uma and REISUB works just fine, probably requires the most keyboard finess out of anything else i've experienced except maybe using VIM or emacs fluently.

Richard Stallman: EMACS!

CLI/Server admin community: No, VIM!

Me: GEDIT, REISUB, SHHH, REISUO!

Yeah, i'm using linux mint uma and REISUB works just fine, probably requires the most keyboard finess out of anything else i've experienced except maybe using VIM or emacs fluently.

Yes, but it *works* and works well. Very few times have I seen a system so frozen that it didn't work.

If your scroll lock, shift lock, or caps locks don't show a light on the keyboard when you press them, the system is locked and REISUB may not work.

Yes, but it *works* and works well. Very few times have I seen a system so frozen that it didn't work.

If your scroll lock, shift lock, or caps locks don't show a light on the keyboard when you press them, the system is locked and REISUB may not work.
That last part only happened when I entered the virtual console: is the virtual console case sensitive with passwords? If so, then I can only enter/escape the virtual console...

It should be case sensitive. It is everywhere else you look. Well, REISUB isn't case sensitive, 'cause there's no shift required. I suppose you could do it with caps lock turned on. That'd still probably work...

It should be case sensitive. It is everywhere else you look. Well, REISUB isn't case sensitive, 'cause there's no shift required. I suppose you could do it with caps lock turned on. That'd still probably work...
What I was saying is that the caps lock doesn't work on the virtual console for me...I got so irritated that I resorted to powering off the system, even though ctrl + alt + f7 should work just fine.

Members online

Latest posts