Today's article has you sending a message, but not in a bottle...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Have you ever wanted to send a message to someone's terminal when they're logged into the same server you're logged into?

No?

Well, that's unfortunate, 'cause that's what I wrote about for today's article. If you change your mind and do want to send messages to another logged in user, the article will still be there!

Yeah, it's not something most desktop users are going to use. In a corporate environment, they probably have better ways to communicate. So, this article might not be all that helpful, but at least it's an article and I've got that going for me.

For reasons, my posting may be a bit sporadic over the next few days.

Is this contingent of users being logged in? Because the way I see it, it could be useful on system with multiple admins performing maintenance to leave notes to each other, like "Drive 6 on tray J has gone boom, couldn't replace because I don't have any on hand!"

Is this contingent of users being logged in?

Yes.

I don't know of any way to do it without them being logged in at the time, at least not easily. You can send a generic message that shows when they connect, but they have to be logged in for this to work

So, it's useful for the situation you've described. The message pops up no matter what they're doing, as far as I can tell. You can even be inside of a man page and it will still pop up.

'Snot much use for a home user with just a desktop that has a single user and no remote connections, but as an admin it'd be pretty handy.

Members online

Latest posts