Timeshift & Similar Solutions - Safeguard & Recover Your Linux

@Sherri is a Cat - if/when you get a chance, can you just respond on my #488 above, please?

I should explain I am seeking to establish exactly where the Timeshift snapshots are being stored currently, so we can explore longer term options to safeguard your Mint.

Cheers

Wiz

@Sherri is a Cat when you are next on, maybe you can open your FM (File Manager, aka "Nemo", under Cinnamon) and let me know if there is a folder (directory) there for Timeshift?

It could be in one of two places
  1. Click File System in the left pane of Nemo, and see if there is a /timeshift folder or if not
  2. Click Home - eom and see if there is one there
Cheers

EDIT - That should be just Home, unless you go in via File System, in which case it is /home/eom for you
Home/oem/system/Timeshift

That's how I found it

Are the forward slashes right ( / ), or should they be backwards ( \ )?

Root= Folder <---
Timeshift folders.png
Whew! That sounds a lot less intimidating!

@Sherri is a Cat - if/when you get a chance, can you just respond on my #488 above, please?

I should explain I am seeking to establish exactly where the Timeshift snapshots are being stored currently, so we can explore longer term options to safeguard your Mint.

Cheers

Wiz

I'm not up. Just saw the notification on my tablet.

Lol - for tomorrow then or whenever.

Re screenshot, near right side just left of magnifying glass - click that icon and a path will appear

Tomorrow is here, Friday. I have some letters to write when I get home. If you don't mind would you reply to this with some sort of nonsense or whatever? It will go to my inbox and remind me to look at the homework you assigned. I'll look at that and then I'll be here.

I know, I have Texas time as a pinned tab in Firefox and just refresh it.

So it's /home/oem/timeshift

I can work with that. Ta.

Later :)

I know, I have Texas time as a pinned tab in Firefox and just refresh it.

So it's /home/oem/timeshift

I can work with that. Ta.

Later :)

Home/oem/ system/timeshift.

I'll keep this to myself, the idea that a newbie had to tell the great wizard how to find the Timeshift root in Linux Mint 21.3 cinnamon! :D

OK, smarty pants (lol) you'll have to show me a fresh screenshot tomorrow (as per my #504). Ta.

I'll keep this to myself,...

That's because we are advised to store them off-drive. Not much point in storing them on a hard drive that may turn into a brick.

Charlie's 64 GB USB stick is a good compromise.

Nite

Maybe I will, Wiz. Sounds like a good idea.

I realize my... distaste towards Timeshift may have come a little too harsh and someone may have thought I was trying to impose my views on others. I wasn't. It's just that when you have installed your distro only a few hours earlier and Timeshift makes a mess of your dir, I think anyone would get mad because of that.

As for RescueZilla, it's missing some key functions I will make sure to mention in my topic about Clonezilla. Functions that I suggested to the developer over a year ago and which he agreed to add, but hasn't done so yet.

OK, smarty pants (lol) you'll have to show me a fresh screenshot tomorrow (as per my #504). Ta.

That's because we are advised to store them off-drive. Not much point in storing them on a hard drive that may turn into a brick.

Charlie's 64 GB USB stick is a good compromise.

Nite
Is it possible to move the Snapshots to my USB drive? Somewhere around her I have another 500GB drive. It's probably under one of those mountains in my back room...

Lol - for tomorrow then or whenever.

Re screenshot, near right side just left of magnifying glass - click that icon and a path will appear
I just fell asleep sitting my chair. My head dropped and my chin hit the edge of my coffee mug. I think I should wait on this 'til tomorrow.

Sherri, can you copy that path and share it with us? Ta.

Is it possible to move the Snapshots to my USB drive?

Better is to start taking snapshots to the USB drive and then come back and delete the snapshots on your hard drive.

The USB drive needs to be formatted to EXT4 and that can be done in a number of ways:
  • Using GNOME Disks (already installed)
  • Using the GNOME Partition Editor aka GParted (is on your Live Mint USB, but you can also install it onto your hard drive)
  • From Terminal

Let me know when is a good time to coach you on the options.

Maybe I will, Wiz. Sounds like a good idea.

I realize my... distaste towards Timeshift may have come a little too harsh and someone may have thought I was trying to impose my views on others. I wasn't. It's just that when you have installed your distro only a few hours earlier and Timeshift makes a mess of your dir, I think anyone would get mad because of that.

As for RescueZilla, it's missing some key functions I will make sure to mention in my topic about Clonezilla. Functions that I suggested to the developer over a year ago and which he agreed to add, but hasn't done so yet.

I only use Timeshift for minor problems but for major problems like system failure or HDD/SSD failure I use Foxclone.

I've been using it for over 6 years and it's never failed me. You can create an image or clone one Drive to another.
Get it here...https://foxclone.org/
User guide...https://foxclone.org/uguide.html

Sherri, can you copy that path and share it with us? Ta.
I'm not sure this is exactly what you're asking for...
1707021822472.png

This is how I got there.

Type Nemo in the terminal
Home (root)(file in Windows) pops up.

Click on "File System"

Time shift is in the "File System"

I click on the Timeshift (root)

I see a bunch of files. Snapshots is one. When I click on that, I get the above image. When I click on the funny looking shape Show location it entries as also in the image above.

I think the whole thing would be Home/OEM/file system/Timeshift/snapshots

I hope this is what you're looking for! Let me know

@wizardfromoz

Typing "Nemo" and "File Manager" in the menu search bar doesn't bring up anything.
In the terminal "file manager" results in cannot open 'manager' (No such file or directory)
As one word "filemanager" comand not found
Only typing nemo the terminal results in anything.

That gives me this

1707023090968.png

Members online