Timeshift & Similar Solutions - Safeguard & Recover Your Linux

Yep. Things are looking up.

... and that was to the previous post, getting like a chat room here.

I have an allergy to chat rooms.

I wasn't sure if you were still digesting. I stuck around for lessons. Does that make me a good student?

Nite

You'll see on your report card at end of semester.

Good night then. I'll probably be back tomorrow

@Sherri is a Cat when you are next on, maybe you can open your FM (File Manager, aka "Nemo", under Cinnamon) and let me know if there is a folder (directory) there for Timeshift?

It could be in one of two places
  1. Click File System in the left pane of Nemo, and see if there is a /timeshift folder or if not
  2. Click Home - eom and see if there is one there
Cheers

EDIT - That should be just Home, unless you go in via File System, in which case it is /home/eom for you

Last edited:
@Sherri is a Cat when you are next on, maybe you can open your FM (File Manager, aka "Nemo", under Cinnamon) and let me know if there is a folder (directory) there for Timeshift?

It could be in one of two places
  1. Click File System in the left pane of Nemo, and see if there is a /timeshift folder or if not
  2. Click Home - eom and see if there is one there
Cheers
On my tablet now, in my bedroom where I should be going to sleep! I like to listen to meditations YouTube at night. I don't sign out before disconnecting from wifi. Notifications pop up when I connect again. Since I'm addicted to this place now, I can't help myself. I have no choice but to look at it!

I'll look tomorrow!

@wizardfromoz
This is very useful topic.
:) as a Slackware (and on/off Gentoo) user I can't provide any information about timeshift practical application in the above distros.
Timeshift is available for both though.

For me the main reason for not using timeshift is the fact that I have a separate partition for user so I just copy important folders to separate two disks.

The rest: OS is incredibly stable. E.g I installed Slackware-current 3yrs ago. The previous Slackware installation worked for 4 years and died with laptop.
Because it is such a rare event, I don't mind re-installing OS as this way I can refresh my memory regarding OS installation.

So maybe someone else will have more experience with timeshift on Slackware.

Hello everyone.
I am using Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria MATE on my daily driver.

Another plus for Timeshift.
I did a rollback a few days ago, after I installed something I should not have done.
It was very uneventful - just the kind I like.
Everything got back to normal in about 20 minutes.

I have Scheduling set for once a week and save the last three. This seems to be plenty for me.
I save the snapshots on a 62 GB flash disk.
Not bad for an 89 year old CP junkie, eh?
Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

This is very useful topic.

I am glad you find it so.

...I have a separate partition for user so I just copy important folders to separate two disks.

Likewise, I save my important docs, videos, pictures and downloads to a separate drive.

I then include my /home/chris content in the TS snapshot in order to safeguard my browser configurations, app settings and so on.

The absence of the docs, videos, pictures and downloads keeps snapshot sizes more manageable.

I have Scheduling set for once a week and save the last three. This seems to be plenty for me.
I save the snapshots on a 62 GB flash disk.
Not bad for an 89 year old CP junkie, eh?

Always a pleasure to hear of your journeys and your innovations, Charlie. :)

Wiz

These snapshots can be restored at a later date to undo all changes to the system.
Which isn't how in reality Timeshift works. I used that thing only once (it was the first and the last time) and after "restoring" with it, it made a complete mess of everything, I had double folders of everything in /home. Double .config, double .local, everything was double. The first .config was created when I installed the system (back then it was Mint), the second was my latest one changed prior to my recovering with Timeshift. All the programs were confused which ~/.config to use. I cursed at the Timesh*t (yes, I did write "Timesh*t", guess why), reinstalled Mint and started using Clonezilla. Have been using it ever since. Timesh*t is a joke!

Timesh*t is a joke!

My 10,000+ uses of it using 80+ distros from 4 "families" (Debian-based, RPM-based, Gentoo-based, Arch-based) over 9 and a half years would suggest otherwise. :)

During that time and usage, I have had maybe 2 adverse outcomes, and one of those was my fault for being too quick to want to stop and start another process.

I used that thing only once (it was the first and the last time)

If you ever need help in configuring Timeshift, you know where to come - here.

But given what I have mentioned above, it is just a shame you feel a need to bucket it because you may not have configured the settings correctly.

Cheers

Wizard

But given what I have mentioned above, it is just a shame you feel a need to bucket it because you may not have configured the settings correctly.
Amen to That !!!

I cursed at the Timesh*t (yes, I did write "Timesh*t", guess why) ....Timesh*t is a joke!

I'm in no way attacking you, disrespecting disgarding your knowledge and understanding of Ubunto based systems.

It was pointed out to me that bashing apps we don't like is discouraged on this forum. Out of respect for the forum, I've done my best not to do that. Changing my behavior seems to have changed my attitude about the software I was used for over 20 years. My attitude hasn't changed completely. But, when I have an open attitude and I'm willing let people form their own opinions based on their own experiences, they seem to be more willing to consider my opinions.

I've learned that no matter how expert I am in something, I still make mistakes. One use is awefully limited to make a judgement about software. Personally, I would go back and see if the problem was me. In my case, it usually was.

If you ever need help in configuring Timeshift, you know where to come - here.

Cheers

Wizard
I know and thanks but it's highly unlikely. If a program underperforms, I abandon it and never look back to it. In the backup case I need something that would work out of the box, I don't have time to waste in configurations. CZ might not have a convenient and beautiful GUI but that has its purpose - to be able to run even on the oldest computer. Besides I doubt that timeshift can provide some of the features CZ offers, such as extreme compression done in extremely fast time, which is the main reason I love CZ. 30GB installation shrunk down to a 10GB image file in just 90 seconds. :D

It was pointed out to me that bashing apps we don't like is discouraged on this forum
This is the first time I hear about us not having the right to a personal opinion on this forum.

Trying to compare Timeshift and Clonezilla is comparing apples to oranges. They are as different as chalk and cheese.

They are apps that have different goals in mind and different methods employed to achieve those goals have been developed by their different authors. There is room for both in a User's "toolbox" and some of our Members use both. That is their right of choice, and Linux is nothing if it does not allow the User choices.

On GUI, RescueZilla is a GUI frontend supporting Clonezilla, for the user's choice.

And with Timeshift, you do not ever have to use the GUI if you do not want to. You can simply go to Terminal and run it with

Code:
sudo timeshift

with options, to check, create, restore, delete or list snapshots and also to insert comments.

Where compression is called for, there has to be a decompression function as well, in order to use the image or clone.

With Timeshift having a 1:1 ratio, I can browse a snapshot taken and pluck out files or folders I may have deleted, and use them straight away, unless they come from Home, in which case Permissions just need to be modified.

I can also restore a snapshot to a totally different partition or drive, or even a different computer by simply clicking an option, and the target destination only needs to a be a little larger than the snapshot.

Incidentally, when I moved my 80+ Linux distros in June 2022 from the computer in the garage to the computer in the study, I first moved my 3 Timeshift snapshot storage partitions to my 4 TB Western Digital MyBook and guess what solution I used for that?

Clonezilla.

Anyway, I think that is enough on this subject, at least from me, but @rado84 fee free to start your own Thread any time extolling the virtues of Clonezilla. I'll be sure to take a look. ;)

Cheers

Wizard

BTW - both clonezilla and timeshift are available in the repositories of most Linux distros, so I am guessing Developers find value in both.

Members online

Latest posts