Timeshift & Similar Solutions - Safeguard & Recover Your Linux

OK, then maybe your best bet for now is to revisit #594 on the previous page, where I had those 3 screenshots.

Answer for yourself those questions I asked, change the Settings for Users to include hidden files, and when congestion is low, take an on demand snapshot.

@wizardfromoz

I deleted some posts. My thoughts are all over the place. I'm sure it's difficult to make sense of them. I'm going take a few minutes to think. Then I will make ONE cohesive post.

I’m not sure how to proceed from here. I’m going to outline the order of updates, related monitor performance and the seeming affect of my VPN extension. As of now, I think my brain is looking for things I may not actually be “seeing”. Right now I’m not sure.

• My monitor
    • I started using the browser extension after the update on on February 5th, and before the update on February 6th
      1. February 5 update
      2. VPN extension
        1. Monitor performance improved a lot. No blinking out.
      3. February 6 update
        1. Monitor performance issues returned
    • It seems like the issues get worse with every update after beginning to use the vpn browser extension.
      • After today’s update it is blinking out more, and the inconsistencies in some image pixels are much more apparent. The inconsistencies seem to follow a pattern around images in the display ON THE DESKTOP. There are no image problems streaming videos.
      • Now there are also graphics issues on the Linux.org website.
      • Still no graphics issues streaming video or IPTV
    • My connection speed did seem to improve the monitor issues
    • Those issues are not as bad during low internet congestion

• VPN
    • Yesterday I found 10 DNS leaks.
      • DNS leaks have profoundly slowed my connection in the past
    • Today I got my VPN fully installed through the terminal (all by myself)
    • I still have 9 DNS leaks.
      • Condobloke referred me to a site to fix those issues
    • IF connection speed does affect the graphics on my monitor, fixing the DNS leaks may solve my problem.
My brain is a little overwhelmed today. I spent a few hours trying to resolve DNS issues in a new OS. For some reason nearly everyone of my cats are mental issues and can’t seem to get along. Yowling, hissing, close to fighting, knocking things over…

It’s been just little bit frustrating dealing with them. Only a little bit now! They keep taking my mind away from trying to resolve this monitor problem. They are definitely worse after the update today. I think my mind is obsessing now. Every time I blink my eyes I think I saw something, but it’s gone and I’m not sure.

At this point, I think the best thing I can do is let you do your expert thing. I’m a little overwhelmed trying to figure out how to do a lot of things in Linux that I already know how to do in Windows. Between that, the monitor issues and my moody cats, I think I’m losing my mind. Please, advise me what the next best thing is to do from here because I have no idea!

I have screen shots of what things look like on my monitor.

Meanwhile, I’m going to look at those things you recently posted. I don’t want to make any changes in Timeshift until I hear from you.

Thank you!
P.S. God help me if I remember something else that isn’t in this post!

OK, then maybe your best bet for now is to revisit #594 on the previous page, where I had those 3 screenshots.

Answer for yourself those questions I asked, change the Settings for Users to include hidden files, and when congestion is low, take an on demand snapshot.

I don't use NORD, and Brian @Condobloke likely knows where settings are stored.

If I were to guess, I would say they will be in something like /etc/nord/ and within that there will be a file named perhaps nord.cfg or openvpn.cfg or other.

If that is so, then that will be captured with Timeshift snapshots as they are.

If you follow the content of #594 and change those settings in Timeshift, NORD settings will still be safeguarded.

Take the snapshot, comment it briefly as eg "home settings saved"

Then when you are up to it, we can practice a Restore.

Cheers

Wizard

I don't use NORD, and Brian @Condobloke likely knows where settings are stored.

If I were to guess, I would say they will be in something like /etc/nord/ and within that there will be a file named perhaps nord.cfg or openvpn.cfg or other.

If that is so, then that will be captured with Timeshift snapshots as they are.

If you follow the content of #594 and change those settings in Timeshift, NORD settings will still be safeguarded.

Take the snapshot, comment it briefly as eg "home settings saved"

Then when you are up to it, we can practice a Restore.

Cheers

Wizard
Timeshift Settings

Done, Include Only Hidden Files

Took a Snapshot_ "Home settings saved"

QUESTIONS FOR YOU

1. If you use a Web Browser (Firefox, Brave, Chrome/Chromium or other) - have you set Bookmarks, tweaked the theme, added or subtracted from its toolbar or menu, and similar changes?
  • Firefox is my default browser
  • Website appearance
    • Dark
  • Always ask where to save files
  • Digital Rights Management is unchecked (VPN thing)
  • I didn’t change this one
    • Updates disabled by your system administrator
    • I think I saw an Update with that stuff
  • Default search engine
    • DuckDuckGo
    • I deleted all the search engines I’ll never use. Wikipedia, Google, Amazon….
  • Home page and new windows
  • Website Preferences
    • Tell websites not to sell or share my data
    • Send websites a “Do Track Request”
  • Cookies and Site Data
    • Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed
  • Permissions
    • Block everything
      • Location, camera, microphone, etc
    • Block pop-up windows
    • Warn you when websites try install add-ons
  • Firefox Data Collection and Use
    • No to everything
  • HTTPS-Only Mode
    • Don’t enable HTTPS-Only Mode
  • Extensions
    • uBlock Origin
    • NordVPN- A VPN Proxy Extension for Firefox
    • Clear URLs (I forgot about this one and not sure I need it)
    • Don’t track me Google
    • DuckDuckGo Privacy essentials
      • There others that are disabled.
  • Theme
    • Yes
All of my book marks were imported when I signed into my Firefox account

1. If you use an Email Client (Thunderbird or other, that was default or has been installed by you) and you have tweaked it ?
  • No email client

1. Have you changed your Desktop Settings and icons since installing?
  • Desktop image but only a few days ago.
  • Added shortcuts to the (pane?, task bar in Windows)
  • No other changes

1. Other changes
  • Display settings,
    • LG monitor is the primary.
    • Resolution has been changed to best the possible match to native settings for my monitor, NOT the integrated one.
    • LG monitor settings on laptop
      • 2560 x 1440/ 59.5 (16:9)
    • Native default settings for the LG monitor
      • 2561 x 1440/60 Hz (I don’t see the aspect ratio)
  • Integrated display (not using it)
    • 1366 x 768 (16:9)
  • Install Nord
  • Downloaded Ungoogled chromium
    • Have not opened yet

• I'm tired and don't seem to remember how to toggle off the unordered list
    • I downloaded a desklet for the weather. Haven't opened it yet.

@wizardfromoz

I need to wait to move forward, unless you need me to answer more questions. It's late here and I have work tomorrow.

Thank you so much for everything!

I'm tired and don't seem to remember how to toggle off the unordered list

When you are finished with it, just press Enter twice, 2nd one returns you to usual editing mode.

Sleep well.

@wizardfromoz

The only reason I mentioned my VPN and DNS leaks is because of the impact on my internet speed. Connection speed seems to effect the performance of my monitor

@wizardfromoz

2 things to tell you...
  1. I finally found my 1 TB USB drive.
  2. I changed the resolution for my LG.
    1. I can't change the native resolution. They were made in Display settings
    2. I took Snapshots before and after the changes.

Now to find something to put on the 500 GB USB drive....

@wizardfromoz

The Snapshots were taken during low traffic.

Aside_
I don't really to tell you this, but you appreciate it!

I'm sure you've noticed I seem to always remember things after I post. Therefor, I'm going to sit on this for a bit in an effort minimize the number of posts and hopefully head off confusion!
:p

Now to find something to put on the 500 GB USB drive....

...ummm ... Timeshift snapshots?

If you start a thread on it, we can show you how to create a partition of say, 100 GB on that drive, using tools such as GParted or GNOME Disks.

Then return here and we can move your target drive for TS snapshots from your current /dev/sda2 to the new partition on the 500 GB drive.

Wiz

...ummm ... Timeshift snapshots?

If you start a thread on it, we can show you how to create a partition of say, 100 GB on that drive, using tools such as GParted or GNOME Disks.

Then return here and we can move your target drive for TS snapshots from your current /dev/sda2 to the new partition on the 500 GB drive.

Wiz
Okay.
1st, how should I format the drive? ExFat?
Right now the only thing on both drives is a copy of Linux 21. I downloaded the one on the 1TB drive a couple of years ago. I'd rather use the 1 TB drive with 2 partitions. One for this laptop and one for my ASUS when she comes home from the hospital. They had to order a specialized a titanium plate.

A few things have happened since my last post. It's not something I forgot about!

As I said previously, I changed the resolution settings for my LG monitor in Display settings in Linux.
Around the time of internet traffic congestion, the graphics started looking bad. Then got a lot worse! I A WHOLE LOT WORSE. I took Snapshots. I thought maybe returning to the higher resolution would be better? I changed it back an now everything looks fine....

And this is where I bring up my VPN again, NOT because I think you could or should help me with DNS settings or VPNs.

The reason is because my VPN increases my internet speed A LOT. I straightened out a few things with my VPN today. I'm not making any conclusions, but I can't ignore the repeating concurrence either. Since my monitor is one of the reasons I'm here, it seems that information might be useful to you.

I think that's it... No...I hope that's it!

I only use ExFAT when I need it to be operable on other OSes as it's fairly universal.

Which is to say, never... Or at least really seldom...

I use Ext4 when it'll only be used with Linux.

(Just my thoughts on the matter.)

I only use ExFAT when I need it to be operable on other OSes as it's fairly universal.

Which is to say, never... Or at least really seldom...

I use Ext4 when it'll only be used with Linux.

(Just my thoughts on the matter.)
I'm not sure I'll ever be using Windows again... Unless I'm forced, like maybe at a library... only I really have no other choice

@wizardfromoz
I have a message that my disk is likely to fail soon, I guess the heat. My cats like to lay one my laptop.

I'm going to shut down so it can cool off. I'll probably check back in on my tablet

1707790673949.png

@wizardfromoz

Still having problems with that disk drive, even though it cooled down 20 degrees, Fahrenheit. We should put Timeshift on hold for now. I'm going to dig out an old HP with Vista. I forgot the password a long time ago, but I'll figure out a way around that. And I still the USB to install Linux on the HP!

I'll be be searching the net and heading over to hardware soon!

Maybe this has something to do with my monitor.

@wizardfromoz

I'm not sure if you would consider some of this "Off topic". However, I can say this is a very good example of could happen if you don't know about TimeShift and don't get into the habit of using it. For newbies, that should have a huge bright neon exclamation point on the end.

Thank God I ou told me about Timeshift, that I learned how to take snap shots and especially that I have been taking them.

I don't know if I did something to cause this or not. My internet connection dropped. Even though Linux showed a connection to a wired network (my tethered phone) I couldn't get back on. I always ended up at the screen that says, "Hmm, we couldn't....."

With that other system, I know what to do and where to look. I know the usual hick ups to look for. Not so with Linux. I did all the things to do regardless of OS. Restart everything. Reset the access point on my phone, air plane mode. After ALL THE ISSUES WITH COMPUTERS it was very hard to keep myself from descending completely into panic mode.

I put that USB drive away too. I was really glad I had it in case I did something wrong.

So now I think I have a few questions. The ones outside of TimeShift will be in a separate thread.

Members online