Timeshift & Similar Solutions - Safeguard & Recover Your Linux

I forgot to tell you that the last Snapshot took an unusually long time. Maybe that's normal, but again I'm assuming anything.

Gotcha, it was the downloads for updates you interrupted, not the Timeshift snapshots. I'm nearly awake now.

It's not uncommon for some snapshots to take longer than others, and the "estimated time left" figure can be way out of sync with reality but it eventually comes back to a realistic estimate, can depend on the type of files and folders being captured and other factors.

I set up a scenario to follow, in a 40 GB testing partition that can be considered to be like @Sherri is a Cat 's snapshot storage folder, /timeshift

It contains snapshots of
  • Gecko Linux Cinnamon
  • antiX Bookworm
  • Gecko Linux Cinnamon after installing the screenshot utility Shutter and
  • MX Linux
I have determined the size the snapshots consumed, by comparing before and after figures from bottom right where my white cursor shows available space remaining.

6Q0bvVo.png

More to follow.

I'm really glad you seem to like helping people. Just about every time I see you post something here I have MORE questions. But those are for other threads on another day.

Under my scenario, I have decided that the snapshots for antiX and MX 19.4 can go, I only want to keep the snapshots for my Gecko Linux.

STAGE 1

I first adjust the Comments, to include "KEEP".

Although the Comments field says (click to edit) that is only for the first time you add comments.

To edit/add to Comments, double-click or click then click again (first click highlights the comment, with the second click your insertion point appears where you clicked, to allow editing).

If you do not follow this process, you may lose your existing comments, it has a fickle memory.

So I
  1. Double-click on the first Gecko entry, then
  2. Press my Home key and
  3. Insert KEEP and a space, then
  4. Press my End key to take the insertion point to the end of the line, and only then
  5. Press Enter to save the edited comment.
D3xy2LP.png

STAGE 2

Now I will select the snapshots to delete, and delete them. I first
  1. Click the antiX one and it highlights
  2. Holding down my Ctrl key, I click the other one/s to delete. In my case there are 2 snapshots to delete, Sherri will have a number more
  3. Once chosen, I move to the Delete button at top left
6aSSgOF.png

I then press the Delete button, and in Sherri's case it will take a few minutes to delete them one by one (progress is shown identifying each snapshot being deleted).

On completion, I am left with the following

KWyoR8X.png

... and I have redeemed 16.1 GB of my storage space.

More to follow, where I will let Sherri know what to delete.

Under my scenario, I have decided that the snapshots for antiX and MX 19.4 can go, I only want to keep the snapshots for my Gecko Linux.

STAGE 1

I first adjust the Comments, to include "KEEP".

Although the Comments field says (click to edit) that is only for the first time you add comments.

To edit/add to Comments, double-click or click then click again (first click highlights the comment, with the second click your insertion point appears where you clicked, to allow editing).

If you do not follow this process, you may lose your existing comments, it has a fickle memory.

So I
  1. Double-click on the first Gecko entry, then
  2. Press my Home key and
  3. Insert KEEP and a space, then
  4. Press my End key to take the insertion point to the end of the line, and only then
  5. Press Enter to save the edited comment.
D3xy2LP.png

STAGE 2

Now I will select the snapshots to delete, and delete them. I first
  1. Click the antiX one and it highlights
  2. Holding down my Ctrl key, I click the other one/s to delete. In my case there are 2 snapshots to delete, Sherri will have a number more
  3. Once chosen, I move to the Delete button at top left
6aSSgOF.png

I then press the Delete button, and in Sherri's case it will take a few minutes to delete them one by one (progress is shown identifying each snapshot being deleted).

On completion, I am left with the following

KWyoR8X.png

... and I have redeemed 16.1 GB of my storage space.

More to follow, where I will let Sherri know what to delete.
I'm going to look at this in about 30 minutes. I want to get things ready for tomorrow. If I don't do it now, I'll be tired and put it off until the morning. I prefer to start the day with as little stress as possible, especially if I wake up late!

At #577 on the previous page (and you don't need to scramble back there, as I will duplicate an amended version), @Sherri is a Cat shared with us her current State of The Nation on snapshots.

If it were me, I would keep as follows and delete the rest.

hiSUOhw.png

Just remember to edit those comments to add KEEP at the beginning, and delete the rest. So 4 to keep, and 8 (maybe 9 by tomorrow) to delete.

After that has been accomplished (and when she is fresh) Sherri could share another screenshot of the new SOTN. :)

Coming up soon will include
  • Restoring from a snapshot, in one of several ways
  • Changing your Timeshift Settings to best suit your needs - there is a very important one here to look at so that you don't have to perform a lot of work after
Cheers

Wizard

At #577 on the previous page (and you don't need to scramble back there, as I will duplicate an amended version), @Sherri is a Cat shared with us her current State of The Nation on snapshots.

If it were me, I would keep as follows and delete the rest.

hiSUOhw.png

Just remember to edit those comments to add KEEP at the beginning, and delete the rest. So 4 to keep, and 8 (maybe 9 by tomorrow) to delete.

After that has been accomplished (and when she is fresh) Sherri could share another screenshot of the new SOTN. :)

• Changing your Timeshift Settings to best suit your needs - there is a very important one here to look at so that you don't have to perform a lot of work after
Cheers

Wizard
Starting now. Will add "Keep" first so I don't accidentally delete the wrong one. The one deleted yesterday to sometime!

@wizardfromoz

Before I delete anything else...

Since I post the last Snapshot image I posted, Timeshift took 2 more scheduled Snapshots. Yeah, I think I could use some advise with scheduling.
I would think they are the same as the the last one you said to keep, KEEP_Feb 7_after updates and reboots

They were taken the same day, nothing has been installed etc. But I will defer to your opinion

1707368485590.png

Yeah, you can delete the last two, as well, the on demand one from 4:26 PM will have you covered.

If you want to address the schedule a little for now - just go into Settings - Schedule and uncheck everything except Daily.

@wizardfromoz

I'm afraid to make an independent decision! Like accounting, just because the little guy thinks his way is better because it makes more sense to him, it doesn't mean the guy higher up has a bigger problem to deal with later on....
Yeah, you can delete the last two, as well, the on demand one from 4:26 PM will have you covered.

If you want to address the schedule a little for now - just go into Settings - Schedule and uncheck everything except Daily.
I know what I did...
I changed how many to keep in case you needed them before we're done. I changed settings to keep 10 of everything. I didn't realizing I was changing the schedule too.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the message I saw when it was booting up again....
And the longer to to boot up...

1707371740892.png

No, it's just that some processes continue to do their voodoo for a couple of minutes after you boot up. LM for example takes 30 seconds to update its Update Manager and so on.

So Timeshift gives the system a few minutes to settle before it takes a Boot Snapshot.

I've looked at the other thread but I'll swing over there tomorrow with a thought or two.

Gotta get my tea cooking.

Nite.

G'day.

Earlier, I said

I am going to deal with the 2nd one first, because being able to restore your system to the way you like it, your chances of succeeding in that are only as good as the snapshot you are restoring from.

That involves your Settings.

If you launch your Timeshift and are on the page where it shows snapshots stored, click Settings - Users.

If you have not changed the settings since you installed Timeshift (or since you installed Linux Mint, Linux Lite, Manjaro and a number of other distros which ship with Timeshift installed by default), that tab's content will likely look like this

0wrj0qY.png

Mine does not look like that. Mine looks like this

BWXzyvx.png

BUT

(and Wizard's butt usually follows close behind him, unless it's following a poorly-cast spell, in which case he looks somewhat like CatDog)

Chances are you won't need to have yours like mine.

In my case, I save nearly all of my important documents, downloads, music, pictures and videos to an external hard drive - not to those folders in /home named as such.

If you are a User who saves nearly all of your important documents, downloads, music, pictures and videos to those folders in /home named as such, then having settings like mine is going to result in considerably larger Timeshift snapshots, and thus an associated rapid reduction in the capacity of your storage space allocated to snapshots.

There is a happy medium between the two options, and I would advocate that you consider using it. It looks like this

36B2n1S.png

The column heading

Include Only Hidden Files

can mislead. It means Include Only Hidden Files (and folders) in addition to all of your System Folders and Files.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU
  1. If you use a Web Browser (Firefox, Brave, Chrome/Chromium or other) - have you set Bookmarks, tweaked the theme, added or subtracted from its toolbar or menu, and similar changes?
  2. If you use an Email Client (Thunderbird or other, that was default or has been installed by you) and you have tweaked it ?
  3. Have you changed your Desktop Settings and icons since installing?
  4. Other changes
If you say Yes to a number of the above, then all those changes are stored in hidden files and folders in your /home folder or partition and those may not be immediately visible to you. You can usually reveal those with use of Ctrl-h in your File Manager, or from its Menu by editing its preferences to show hidden files and folders.

If you have to or choose to restore your Linux from a Timeshift snapshot, and then you have to rebuild all those settings, you may be up for a lot of work.

The happy medium I have shown with the last screenshot will prevent that loss (and angst) for the larger part.

More before long.

Wizard

G'day.

Earlier, I said

I am going to deal with the 2nd one first, because being able to restore your system to the way you like it, your chances of succeeding in that are only as good as the snapshot you are restoring from.

That involves your Settings.

If you launch your Timeshift and are on the page where it shows snapshots stored, click Settings - Users.

If you have not changed the settings since you installed Timeshift (or since you installed Linux Mint, Linux Lite, Manjaro and a number of other distros which ship with Timeshift installed by default), that tab's content will likely look like this

0wrj0qY.png

Mine does not look like that. Mine looks like this

BWXzyvx.png

BUT

(and Wizard's butt usually follows close behind him, unless it's following a poorly-cast spell, in which case he looks somewhat like CatDog)

Chances are you won't need to have yours like mine.

In my case, I save nearly all of my important documents, downloads, music, pictures and videos to an external hard drive - not to those folders in /home named as such.

If you are a User who saves nearly all of your important documents, downloads, music, pictures and videos to those folders in /home named as such, then having settings like mine is going to result in considerably larger Timeshift snapshots, and thus an associated rapid reduction in the capacity of your storage space allocated to snapshots.

There is a happy medium between the two options, and I would advocate that you consider using it. It looks like this

36B2n1S.png

The column heading

Include Only Hidden Files

can mislead. It means Include Only Hidden Files (and folders) in addition to all of your System Folders and Files.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU
  1. If you use a Web Browser (Firefox, Brave, Chrome/Chromium or other) - have you set Bookmarks, tweaked the theme, added or subtracted from its toolbar or menu, and similar changes?
  2. If you use an Email Client (Thunderbird or other, that was default or has been installed by you) and you have tweaked it ?
  3. Have you changed your Desktop Settings and icons since installing?
  4. Other changes
If you say Yes to a number of the above, then all those changes are stored in hidden files and folders in your /home folder or partition and those may not be immediately visible to you. You can usually reveal those with use of Ctrl-h in your File Manager, or from its Menu by editing its preferences to show hidden files and folders.

If you have to or choose to restore your Linux from a Timeshift snapshot, and then you have to rebuild all those settings, you may be up for a lot of work.

The happy medium I have shown with the last screenshot will prevent that loss (and angst) for the larger part.

More before long.

Wizard
I need to do this tomorrow. I've been wrapped up in Linux and a few other things. In the mean time, my floors haven't been kept clean. They are SP DIRTY it's starting to affect my mental health!

I have to take care of the floors TONIGHT!!!

I exhausted myself last night and didn't get around to the bedroom till today. I'm waiting on it to dry and then take of the odor on my body! Then I'll be back here.

In the mean time,

I forgot exactly why we started this... Not that it isn't useful!

I think it was initially for my monitor. Two updates ago, it started blinking out again. Earlier today it was really bad. I was watching videos after reading the Rox Rock thread. I would think that has something to do with that, but then there's also the VPN thing. My monitor was performing much better after installing the VPN browser extension and 3 updates ago.

I don't know enough to determine if was updates or if maybe something actually is wrong with my monitor. I CAN say for certain that my internet speed is much faster with the VPN and that seemed to make a big difference.

Also, my monitor requires a high speed HDMI cable. It won't work with a regular one. I doubt this laptop has drivers for that or is even is made to handle high speed graphics. The high speed HDMI cable is backward compatible, but again, I don't know enough about that sort of thing. The high speed HDMI thing occurred to me earlier today. I haven't had time to look it up.

Do you want to restore to the 5th or 6th either side of the NORD install?

Do you want to restore to the 5th or 6th either side of the NORD install?
Yes, but I probably won't know if it fixed the problem. Right now everything is okay, but this is also a time when internet congestion isn't a problem.

Members online