Timeshift & Similar Solutions - Safeguard & Recover Your Linux

Granny Sue

Credits
Here you go, Kokomo! (Caffeine, ya gotta love it!) No axes for you, y ou are my Linux friend and mentor!!

Screenshot at 2020-02-25 10-06-49.png

Last edited by a moderator:

70 Tango Charlie

Credits
Wiz, I'm not seeing a blow-by-blow of how to restore with Timeshift. I'd still new to Linux, and got pretty lost when I started reading this thread from the beginning, so it could be I just missed it. At any rate, I'm still lost.

Also, I have another question - I recently started doing some blog writing on this computer and have all the originals (only 6 so far) stored on this computer. Do I need to back these up somewhere else? I don't want to lose them, of course.
@Granny Sue
Hello Granny,
Hope I am not intruding too much here, but I just could not resist.
I also do a little writing.
I found out years ago that no matter where else I might save things, I got in the habit of copying the articles on to a flash drive which I had dedicated to nothing but my written material.
I use a 32 gig flash drive that holds lots of written stuff, which I have labeled 'My Writings' using printing labels wrapped around the flash drive.
Hope this is of some help, fellow writer.
Old Geezer
TC

Granny Sue

Credits
@Granny Sue
Hello Granny,
Hope I am not intruding too much here, but I just could not resist.
I also do a little writing.
I found out years ago that no matter where else I might save things, I got in the habit of copying the articles on to a flash drive which I had dedicated to nothing but my written material.
I use a 32 gig flash drive that holds lots of written stuff, which I have labeled 'My Writings' using printing labels wrapped around the flash drive.
Hope this is of some help, fellow writer.
Old Geezer
TC
Thanks, TC (I can never call you "Old Geezer," that is just WAY too rude. :) ) That's a great suggestion. I have a couple of tiny SD cards (1 gig) that I can back them up on for now. I'll have to invest in a bigger flash drive.

Granny Sue

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Member @jjconstr has a Thread here, now solved, this for background, makes for an interesting read.

https://www.linux.org/threads/solve...ed-timeshift-asking-for-root-subvolume.29224/

At its conclusion, he asked a couple of questions that might prove to be of benefit to many, so I have copied them here, to answer.

When deleting old snapshots, suppose the first full snapshot is always kept? It is 16.5 GIB.

Do you recommend backing up home folder separately? Noticed Timeshift's default is to not include it in a snapshot.

Thanks a bunch!
jerry
The answer to both is

Yes ... provisionally

and I will explain further. But first, I found a couple of videos that might provide much of Jerry's answers.

My Google search keywords were

timeshift are on demand snapshots culled

I knew they weren't, but I figured if I could find a good video or article it would save me typing :)

The first revealed 3 videos and I have only explored the first. It deals with Linux Mint 19.1, but the basic principles are applicable to Jerry's Ubuntu 18.04 'Bionic Beaver' MATE.

VIDEO 1 - TIMESHIFT

Following the conclusion of the video, as is often the case with Youtube, a timer starts to show a subsequent video. Same fellow, on Backup and I let it run, also good.

If your Browser does not do the same, here it is, direct.

VIDEO 2 - BACKUPS

So take a view of those, and I'll come back with further clarification and explanation.

Cheers

Wizard

Last edited:

jjconstr

Silver Member
Silver Supporter
Credits
Wiz,
thanks for those videos. They are a great boost to get started on backing up Linux so data doesn't get lost or your OS can be restored to an operable state. Home backups are next on my list. After everything is safe I'll run those updates sitting patiently in my systray.

Thanks again!
jerry