The web camera of my laptop doesn't seem to work

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Credits
I use Debian 11, I tried the app ''cheese'' that it is pre-installed but it doesn't see any devices. How can I determine if the webcamera will work in a Microsoft Teams Meeting that I have scheduled for tomorrow?

Teams has a mic and webcam test functionality somewhere in the settings, I don't have Teams open right now but if you look through the menu you will find it.

Teams has a mic and webcam test functionality somewhere in the settings, I don't have Teams open right now but if you look through the menu you will find it.
I entered Microsoft Teams Meeting (on the web with browser) and it doesn't see any camera or microphone, it is probably a driver problem, how can I proceed?

What is the make and model of the laptop?

Are there hardware buttons to turn the webcam off?

I usually have to install "cheese" sometimes on some of my laptops. Then it usually works.
I usually don't have to do this for my USB webcam.

If this is the correct User Guide it shows a camera hotkey

If this is the correct laptop you can see a camera icon of the f8 key

It's referred to as a camera instead of a webcam.

Or have I got the wrong manual/computer...
You have the correct laptop, I went to the BIOS and the Hot Keys are enabled, the f8 key with the camera in it doesn't do anything

You have the correct laptop, I went to the BIOS and the Hot Keys are enabled, the f8 key with the camera in it doesn't do anything

Try it in combination with the Fn and Shift key?

I'm just spitballing here, but I've had some laptops that required the shift button along with the Fn button for some things.

I tried all that you suggested but I don't think the web camera is turned off, I think is missing a driver. How can we determine if there is a driver installed and functioning for this device?

The only other thing is to try guvcview. That should be able to connect to any UVC (USB Video Class) webcam. If your webcam supports UVC, it should just work out of the box. If it doesn't, then it depends whether or not the webcam manufacturer has a Linux driver available for it. If not, you're pretty much stuffed!

What's the output of the following command?:
Bash:
lsusb | grep -i cam

Does that yield anything at all?

The only other thing is to try guvcview. That should be able to connect to any UVC (USB Video Class) webcam. If your webcam supports UVC, it should just work out of the box. If it doesn't, then it depends whether or not the webcam manufacturer has a Linux driver available for it. If not, you're pretty much stuffed!

What's the output of the following command?:
Bash:
lsusb | grep -i cam

Does that yield anything at all?
The output is:
Code:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b624 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Integrated Camera

In 1.5 hours I have interview on Microsoft Teams. Last chance!

I didn't manage to get it to work in time and as a result they skipped me and now I am stuffed... @marbles has a point about Linux after all

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b624 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Integrated Camera
I've never not had a webcam working if the kernel sees it. What you could do is plug the webcam into the usb port and then run the following.
Code:
dmesg | grep usb
Then check what the output says, maybe it will display an error or something that we can work with. Did you check if other usb devices worked correctly just as a comparison? If other usb devices don't work either you could try resetting the usb controller.
@marbles has a point about Linux after all
You could have also tried a newer kernel to see if that would have give you different results since Debian isn't known for it's new packages. Maybe you shouldn't have gone for Debian but a distribution with newer packages and libraries? Maybe you should have a backup laptop with Windows in case you can't get something working, that way you won't always have to rely on forum topics when it could effect something import in real life?

I've never not had a webcam working if the kernel sees it. What you could do is plug the webcam into the usb port and then run the following.
Code:
dmesg | grep usb
Then check what the output says, maybe it will display an error or something that we can work with. Did you check if other usb devices worked correctly just as a comparison? If other usb devices don't work either you could try resetting the usb controller.

You could have also tried a newer kernel to see if that would have give you different results since Debian isn't known for it's new packages. Maybe you shouldn't have gone for Debian but a distribution with newer packages and libraries? Maybe you should have a backup laptop with Windows in case you can't get something working, that way you won't always have to rely on forum topics when it could effect something import in real life?
The web camera is integrated in the frame of the screen, I can't plug it in a USB port.

I have a backup HP laptop that also run Debian 11 but 11.2, I have some years to update it. The integrated camera in that laptop works well, but it can't run Microsoft Teams on the browser because the OS or the browser is not supported, at least this is what Microsoft said

You may wonder why I didn't update the OS and the browser in that laptop and have the job done... well, because I have NO DATA to do so!

The Odds were against me for this job and maybe it was for the better, who knows what those guys wanted from me in Microsoft Teams and why they even use that spyware and they didn't wanted to meet me in person... Debian forever

The web camera is integrated in the frame of the screen, I can't plug it in a USB port.
I got confused because of the "lusb" output, that's why I thought it was a usb cam.
The integrated camera in that laptop works well, but it can't run Microsoft Teams on the browser because the OS or the browser is not supported, at least this is what Microsoft said
So that cam works with other things but not Teams in the web-browser? I actually dislike using Teams as a web-application so I use the community version of teams as an electron app that you can launch from your desktop. Maybe give that a try?

I got confused because of the "lusb" output, that's why I thought it was a usb cam.

So that cam works with other things but not Teams in the web-browser? I actually dislike using Teams as a web-application so I use the community version of teams as an electron app that you can launch from your desktop. Maybe give that a try?
Yes, that cam works in ''Cheese'' and it will probably work in Microsoft Teams if they let me in but I can't join with that version of the OS (11.2) and FF in 96.something, I have to update in order to join. Whatever happened is happened, I am stuffed

Yes, that cam works in ''Cheese'' and it will probably work in Microsoft Teams if they let me in but I can't join with that version of the OS (11.2) and FF in 96.something, I have to update in order to join. Whatever happened is happened, I am stuffed
The app I linked before doesn't use your local browser but whatever browser is integrated into it which is Chromium wrapped in Electron to work as a desktop app.

Members online

Latest posts