The Universal Linux Community - Discord server

Status
Not open for further replies.

About your Discord server and Telegram group, did you know that Discord is closed-source and the backend of Telegram is also closed source.
Just check under "License" on Wikipedia. Why not just use Matrix or IRC since both of them are opensource and your target audience is the opensource community?

About your Discord server and Telegram group, did you know that Discord is closed-source and the backend of Telegram is also closed source.

LIIIIIIIIIIIKE !!!!!

Just check under "License" on Wikipedia. Why not just use Matrix or IRC since both of them are opensource and your target audience is the opensource community?

EVEN MORE LIKE.

Matrix ftw. IRC doesn't have encryption, or for the servers that do its not half as fancy as matrix.

linux-org is still free on matrix.org. I'm tempted but I think a forum admin should create it.

Btw if anyone ever needs a teamspeak alternative (I literally never tried discord, I think its like this no?) there is https://www.mumble.info

linux-org is still free on matrix.org. I'm tempted but I think a forum admin should create it.

Chat has been briefly discussed here and nobody seemed interested. I did not proceed beyond that.

We also don't have the staff to moderate an official chat. We'd need to address that.

The server doesn't exist anymore, so you might as well delete the topic. I'll think about the other platforms and an independent linux group.

I'll lock the thread, rather than deleting a thread with activity in it.

The thread can be revisited and opened back up if folks want to discuss the idea of a chat.

I'm not against it. I just don't have time to always moderate it in real time. We'd need trusted members to moderate the chat, probably with the existing forum moderators providing oversight as needed.

A 24 hour chat is going to need at least three or four mods dedicated to sitting there in chat, checking it frequently even when the room is idle.

Then, there's no guarantee of growth. It could turn into just a bunch of off-topic chatter instead of being an asset to help people.

If folks want to discuss that, we can unlock the thread and keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online