The Solar Eclipse

The Duck

Reaction score
Credits
How many of you watched the Solar Eclipse this morning.
Where I live we had around 76% totality.
We viewed via an old fashion box viewer.

b7eedde4-d239-49d7-abf5-42ff5ead01c9.jpg

We viewed via an old fashion box viewer.

That's basically a 'camera obscura'. I'd never considered that before, but it's the same thing.

I was out of the range for it to be worth watching. It may have been up to 15% for me, so that's not worth going outside. I'd barely notice it if I could see it at all. We have a total eclipse coming up sometime soon - I want to say it's July of next year. Something like that. I'll grab a welding hood and watch it that way.

Yeah while not spectacular it was still cool.
It did become very hazy whilst we were in the 76% totality.
The eclipse of April 2024 should be a good one and we may trip to a better location where we can experience the 100% totality.
I make it point to not miss stuff like this I find it to be interesting.

This is also part of Ham Radio stuff that happens.

Yeah, that'd be the one that will hit me fairly square on.

We had a near-complete eclipse in (my memory is terrible) 2018-ish. This next time we'll reach totality. It could have been as far back as 2015, but I don't think it was that long ago.

I assume that I'll still be alive at that point. An astrophysicist friend of mine pointed out that I'll be just a smidge of a percentage point off, even though I'm not that far away, and that I can achieve a true 100% totality by going to Jackman, Maine. The last one was like 95%, which I felt was worth watching.

So, I'll do something like that. I'll almost certainly make the trip over, 'cause it's not too far. It's about two hours from my house and a lovely little town. Plus the roads are pretty awesome that time of the year. That means I can enjoy the drive and get to see something fairly unique.

While I've seen an eclipse hit totality, Maine hasn't had a full solar eclipse since 1963.

August 2017 was the last Solar eclipse before October 2023.

This is a good video of the 2017 Solar eclipse 7 minutes long.

Staff online