An evil maid attack is an act of hacking a device through physical access. The name refers to a scenario where a hotel employee compromises a laptop, smartphone, or tablet left in a room. Other versions of the evil maid
How to prevent an evil maid attackExperts recommend the following to avoid having a mobile device or a computer compromised in an evil maid attack:
- Avoid leaving your device unattended where it can be accessed by strangers;
- Protect your device with a strong password and set a minimal lock screen timeout;
- Use full disk encryption;
- Keep system software and device drivers up to date;
- If possible, set up the BIOS to restrict direct access to device memory through communication ports such as FireWire, Thunderbolt, PCI, and PCI Express.