The best Linux laptops for consumers and developers

mrcrossroads

Reaction score
Credits

The last laptop I bought was an Acer Swift 3 for $700. I installed Mint on it and it's just as slick as snot. The laptops in the above link certainly look appealing if you have the budget though.

I picked up a fantastic MSI on sale for about that price. It was like 50% off for a day and I just happened to need one for testing purposes. It's nearing the time to replace another laptop that's a few years old, but that will be for using and not for testing.

Anyhow, the MSI works pretty much perfectly. I could probably install different software for the touchpad and I don't think the screen dims with the Fn buttons. It otherwise dims just fine with software. I really don't mind either of those things. I don't need intelligent gestures, I just need the device to act like I expect it to (which it does).

With that one I don't think I did anything other than just change some BIOS/EUFI type stuff and then booted to USB long enough to install a base operating system. Otherwise, it's used to test daily Lubuntu builds.

Great choice of words, I thought......Captures the attention

Good thread btw.

I picked up a fantastic MSI on sale for about that price. It was like 50% off for a day and I just happened to need one for testing purposes. It's nearing the time to replace another laptop that's a few years old, but that will be for using and not for testing.

Anyhow, the MSI works pretty much perfectly. I could probably install different software for the touchpad and I don't think the screen dims with the Fn buttons. It otherwise dims just fine with software. I really don't mind either of those things. I don't need intelligent gestures, I just need the device to act like I expect it to (which it does).

With that one I don't think I did anything other than just change some BIOS/EUFI type stuff and then booted to USB long enough to install a base operating system. Otherwise, it's used to test daily Lubuntu builds.
I have a bunch of old Lenovo laptops for playing around but wouldn't mind some newer hardware. Have never owned an MSI, of all the brands I've had.

Have never owned an MSI, of all the brands I've had.

What's amazing is that it never gets hot. It's a laptop that defies my expectations. It barely even gets warm.

It also has NVMe M.2 storage that's blazing fast. It'd be fine as a daily driver, but it really only gets used for testing.

What's amazing is that it never gets hot. It's a laptop that defies my expectations. It barely even gets warm.

It also has NVMe M.2 storage that's blazing fast. It'd be fine as a daily driver, but it really only gets used for testing.
My Swift 3 is like that. After 2 hours on it it's still cool to the touch.

My Swift 3 is like that. After 2 hours on it it's still cool to the touch.

I assume they've made some breakthrough in cooling tech - and probably also power management. 'Snot like it's a coal-burning P4 anymore.

Members online

Latest posts