tf am I supposed to do

gktuz

Reaction score
Credits
I used to be interested in changing Linux distributions. Stayed with fedora. Now I have no interest, and I'm too lazy to change them, and I'm bored to death. tf should I do?

I used to be interested in changing Linux distributions. Stayed with fedora. Now I have no interest, and I'm too lazy to change them, and I'm bored to death. tf should I do?
Learn the CLI?

I stopped distro hopping myself. Settled on Mint and MX Linux for the box connected to the TV.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Operating systems are supposed to help us do our job, run our programs and utilize our hardware. We are not supposed to use them for the sake of them. So learn an application to accomplish something, for example Blender runs fantastically on Linux, do CAD, or something else, leave the OS alone as long as it is working

Considering how boring installing an OS is (IMO), there are literally millions of activities one could do that are more exciting. Buy some cheap paint to watch dry. Measure a blade of grass every 5 minutes to keep accurate records on it's growth. Install Windows and watch the progress bar while it updates. I could go on.

Jokes aside, shut off the computer and walk away from it. Get out and meet people. Volunteer. Whatever. There is a whole world out there.

Do you have any other interests? Computers are great, I enjoy them.
But I also have other passions. If I get bored, I have other options.

Maybe get a dog ?
m0124.gif

I've been running Mint Cinnamon for nearly 9 years and I'm never bored...always something to learn or new software to try.
m1212.gif

I would start drinking beer and write AI or some ground breaking program with friends. That's just on the computer though. Working out and trying new food seems fun too. I've been gorging different kinds of beverages lately. I really wanna go to the club though.

Operating systems are supposed to help us do our job, run our programs and utilize our hardware. We are not supposed to use them for the sake of them. So learn an application to accomplish something, for example Blender runs fantastically on Linux, do CAD, or something else, leave the OS alone as long as it is working
I've always maintained the same myself. An OS is a means to an end.....a 'base' on top of which you can do a million and one other useful, interesting, productive things.......NOT an end in itself.

Me, I quit distro-hopping many years ago. I found the "one for me" a long while back. I'd rather polish up the OS I do use, and make it as suitable for my own work-flow as I possibly can, than endlessly install/uninstall/re-install over and over again, ad infinitum. In a way, I feel sorry for those that endlessly distro-hop, never settling, never getting to know a system properly. And at the end of the day, there's only so much 'tweaking' and 'fettling' you can do in any case.......beyond this point, there's just no sense in it any more.

The best OSs maintain a low profile and keep out of your way.....unlike a certain well-known OS from a company based in Redmond, which insists on putting itself front & centre ALL THE TIME. As though it's afraid you'll forget about it......(fat chance!) :confused::rolleyes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As for boredom, switch the damn thing off and get out there in the real world. There's always summat interesting going on in your neighbourhood, lots of people to get to know, things to do, places to go & visit. Take up photography.....ride a bike.....join a club.....etc, etc. Nobody has any excuse for being bored these days....

Mike. :p

An OS is a means to an end....

This is much like how I don't care what's on the desktop background and have no icons on the desktop.

I have full-screen browsers and applications, at least to the point where I never actually see my desktop.

The computer is the tool I use to accomplish things. It's best when I don't have to think about it - which is why I use Linux. It just runs and runs and runs. I seldom have OS issues.

Staff online