Technologies We Grew Up With That are Now Obsolete

Worse. They LIED to us!
They said that a (new) 10-cent piece was equal in value to an (old) one-shilling piece.
But us Yilgarn kids were smart enough to count to twelve, and we noted that although last week a shilling was rewarded with twelve sugary penny-sticks, this week we received only ten.
I have never forgiven politicians for that, and today still hold them to blame for programming errors, regardless of which language I am using .
Chris

Politicians lying ? No way

When they introduced the Euro, one of the main reasons they wanted that was to push prices up.
The conversion time was very suited for making "errors" during conversion, and guess what ... all prices actually went up.
But it was hard to notice, because the "new" Euro was hard to use, at start.

They didn't convert to Euro because "it was easier to use", in context of trading between countries, or even - and that is more something practical to normal people - going on holiday, and needing to exchange at every single border.
The banks made sure they made lots of money with that as well, as they had different conversion ratios for trading in and getting money back, which is a super obvious way of saying: let us steal as much money as we want, because we can. They could have traded both ways with the same ratio, and ask a price for the fact of doing the trade/keeping money/etc., but they made more money this way ..

Politicians lying ? No way
[now this is very old]

"How can you tell when a politician is lying"?

"Their lips move"

Friendly reminder, politics is strictly off limits. Thanks.

OK, I get it

I din't mention any name, not even a country, or orientation :)

Anyway - no issue, no politics, no religion, got it.

Black and White TVs with Rabbit ears
Transistor Radios
Camreas with Film
Street Directorys
Phone Books
Type Writers

I had all of these.

c0218.gif

Remember when your power supply would have a pass-through so that you could also power a monitor through that same power supply?

I suspect that went the way of the dinosaur because computers started needing more power overall.

I also don't recall seeing that many of them, so maybe it was never all that popular.

Remember when your power supply would have a pass-through so that you could also power a monitor through that same power supply?

I suspect that went the way of the dinosaur because computers started needing more power overall.

I also don't recall seeing that many of them, so maybe it was never all that popular.
I opened up a few of those power supplies because, you know, "no user serviceable parts inside", and the pass through was just that - the A/C power was passed directly through to the monitor power port, so I don't think the power draw of the computer would have been a consideration - though I suppose the maybe the power draw of some of those honkin' big CRT monitors might have been. :)

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure the pass-through power supplies were pretty much gone well before the big CRTs became a thing.

I always thought the pass-through was a nice convenience feature but to this day I don't see why they couldn't have used a standard shaped outlet for it. U.S. standard, of course. ;)

so I don't think the power draw of the computer would have been a consideration - though I suppose the maybe the power draw of some of those honkin' big CRT monitors might have been. :)

My thinking is that maybe they don't want that much current being drawn from a single socket - at least not here in the US where we may have a single 15 amp circuit for several rooms (or worse).

Of course, our response to this will be to stuff a cheap power strip into the wall.

I'm kind of guilty of that, though I have more outlets than most people. I don't tend to use cheap power strips.

I recall that from every time in I was in the US : power outlets and connectors seem to be very flimsy, and also 110V only.
The connectors often feel like cheap toy thingies.
When you connected them, you never hear that solid "click" we are used to here.

At least one thing the EU got right around here , I'm thinking

At least one thing the EU got right around here , I'm thinking

You also decide at the cord - with a fuse - in the EU.

We also have other outlets for higher voltage. You just didn't see them.

We also mount our outlets upside down, seemingly more often than not. The ground plug should be on the top.

We also have plugs without a dedicated ground pin. Those cords are still fairly common. The two slot outlets are less common these days.

If you're out and about, you can plug a tester into the outlets you find. It's amazing how many aren't wired properly.

Yes, but the standard is still 110V, no matter how many 220V you also install next to it ...

Walkmans. Still have mine that I bought in 84. As you can see, it's a Realistic, bought at a Radio Shack. I really liked that store.

20240120_110121.jpg

Last edited:
Here in Australia we have 240V and power outlets look like this...
1754.jpg

Black and White TVs with Rabbit ears

Did the rabbit ears also have foil? Our did. And remember the rolling lines on the screen if some was using the vacuum cleaner?

Walkmans.

They still exist as a brand name. They're MP3 players that look like the old cassette players.

It still amuses me that we called anything a Walkman. If it was a small and portable media player, we called it a Walkman - even though that's very much a Sony property.

Record stores - sifting through albums, the smell of incense in the air. You can't even find albums on CD anymore.

These are the TV Rabbit ears I remember.
93fa1237de1e9a3cfaaeaa8dc6470d92.jpg
Ours looked like that but the middle part was a circle. We put little aluminum flags at the top of the ears to improve reception. Sometimes it helped.

It still amuses me that we called anything a Walkman. If it was a small and portable media player, we called it a Walkman - even though that's very much a Sony property.
Kinda like how we call gelatin "jello," even though that's only the brand name.

Growing up my brothers had a black and white TV in their bedroom. They still sold those in the early 80s.

We also mount our outlets upside down, seemingly more often than not. The ground plug should be on the top.
Is there a reason why you say they should be on the top? Most that I see, especially in newer houses, are on the bottom. The way a lot of cords are made today, especially extension cords, are for it to be on the bottom.

Members online