• Important: We recently upgraded our forum software - please let us know if you run into any issues.

Tablet PC: Pen-Monitor & Remote Mapping, WINE Pen Pressure & More <partially solved>

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Is there someone who is known for routinely helping with scripts that can be mentioned to have a look and potentially help with this on these forums?
My thoughts, when I was catching up from #37 on :)

Jas has been around forever and Ken is new.

@JasKinasis , @kenJackson - any chance you folks can take a look over what Sasha has been doing?

Cheers all, and

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Sasha-Jen

Been looking at the minor annoyances, haven't fixed any but:
That's it for "progress" on the matters of this thread. Not much really despite raking the depths of the internet search results.

Sasha-Jen

Hello again! Been a while, hasn't it? I haven't given up on switching to Linux, I've just had to go back to windows and continue my work over spending more time on what OS I do my work on. I'd also love to spend the same amount of time daily as I did while I kept this thread active; but alas, this is just a quick update.

First, I some how enabled a tab in the TV menu that I could not access before, and within that menu was the overscan option. The whole TV overscan issue is fixed.

I have not made any progress - not even finding new info/understanding current info more on the glitchy mouse/UI elements going below the panel.

I have re-read the tutorial I was using on the remote remapping. I think I understand it more than I already did. I decided to copy a back-up of what I had when I came back today and edit the file going by the new understanding. Unfortuately I still have not got to the result of the keys actually remapping.

The back-up file:

#!/bin/sh
# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
# global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)
# invoke global X session script
#. /etc/X11/Xsession

remote_id=19(
xinput list |
sed -n 's/.*Polostar.id=19.*keyboard.*/\1/p'
)

# To remap the nine shortcut remote keys

mkdir -p /etc/X11/xkb/symbols
cat >/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/custom <<\EOF
xkb_symbols "remote" {
key <AB04> { [ AB05 ] };
key <AD08> { [ DOWN ] };
key <SPCE> { [ AD03 ] };
key <AB05> { [ LCTL, AB01 ] };
key <RTRN> { [ UP ] };
key <AB01> { [ LCTL, AB01 ] };
key <AB07> { [ LCTL ] };
key <AD10> { [ SPCE ] };
key <AD07> { [ LALT ] };
};
EOF

setxkbmap -device 19 -print | sed 's/\(xkb_symbols.*\)"/\1+custom(remote)"/' | xkbcomp -I/etc/X11/xkb -i 19 -synch - $DISPLAY 2>/dev/null
The current file:

#!/bin/sh
# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
# global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)
# invoke global X session script
#. /etc/X11/Xsession

remote_id=$(
xinput list |
sed -n 's/.*Polostar.*id=\([0-9]*\).*keyboard.*/\1/p'
)
[ "$remote_id" ] || exit

# To remap the nine shortcut remote keys

mkdir -p /tmp/xkb/symbols
cat >/tmp/xkb/symbols/custom <<\EOF
xkb_symbols "remote" {
key <AB04> { [ AB05 ] };
key <AD08> { [ DOWN ] };
key <SPCE> { [ AD03 ] };
key <AB05> { [ LCTL, AB01 ] };
key <RTRN> { [ UP ] };
key <AB01> { [ LCTL, AB01 ] };
key <AB07> { [ LCTL ] };
key <AD10> { [ SPCE ] };
key <AD07> { [ LALT ] };
};
EOF

setxkbmap -device $remote_id -print | sed 's/\(xkb_symbols.*\)"/\1+custom(remote)"/' | xkbcomp -I/tmp/xkb -i $remote_id -synch - $DISPLAY 2>/dev/null
I have noticed that XP-pen have released a linux driver for my tablet. That's not helpful since I do not need it, but I'm pointing this out as it gives hope for a linux driver for the shortcut remote, which I would 100% use myself just for the easy remapping that would come with it.

Lastly, the reason I decided to boot-up linux mint again was because I checked the wine bug reports and one had a new comment asking for a log for +wintab. I've done a quick search for creating such a log and got nothing, as well as trying to re-find how to create the terminal log I did for the bug report already and cannot re-find it. These were both quick searches, but unfortuately I cannot spend that much time on this right now.

I don't want to keep the bug fixers waiting for long, so I may do brief searches here and there, but I simply must boot up windows and do things on windows currently. C'est la vie.

Sasha-Jen

Update on 2 of the problems:

First, I have logged and attached a file for the WINE bug report on pen pressure.

Secondly, on the whole elements under the panel thing. I think the multiple monitors are causing them to bleed into one another some how. Until today I've been using the "displays" UI to drag and drop the monitor placements (it is simply called "displays"). Today I tried the "Nvidia X server settings" UI and the "X server display configuration" tab.

If I disable all but my main monitor there is no bleed. No UI elements going under the panel. This confirms it is to do with the multiple monitors. Furthermore, it isn't just elements going under the panel but desktop icons bleed as well. All my current desktop icons on linux are at the top-left and their names bleed onto the left monitor. e.g. The Medibang WINE shortcut has "Me" on right-hand side on the left monitor and the rest "diBang Paint Pro" on the main monitor.

I would assume this is to do with digital monitor positioning but i cannot change it for some reason. The options for monitor position has: Absolute, right of, above etc. None of the directional options work and so I attempted to change the numbers for the absolute. There is a space to change those numbers yet despite allowing typing, it doesn't save or change anything.

I thought perhaps since all monitors are 1920x1080 and the second (middle) monitor starts at the absolute of +1920+0 that changing it to +1921+0 may nudge the desktop icons off the left monitor fully onto the middle monitor where they are suppose to be. Same with nudging the graphics tablet that sits below the middle minitor down to +1920+1081. These do nothing. They do not save or change. I'm not sure they would fix the problem if they did, but they don't even try.

Members online