Sudden crashing of the pc running on linux mint 20.3

What kind of drive is the primary drive for that computer? Is it a spinning disk (HDD) or a solid state drive (SSD)? What specs does it have and how old is it?

Others above are right when they pointed out that drives (especially HDD) often show intermittent failures, which usually come just before the failure is not intermittent. (Extra credit to @Brickwizard for emphasizing it.)

Late edit: Noticed and fixed typo

Last edited:
I tried the smartest you posted but, for my ssd it said that the test is not possible, i will post the photos of the same once i reach home.(currently on road)

In Linux Mint...type disks in the search box and hit Enter...select your SSD and click the three dots and select Smart Data and Self Tests...hope this helps.
m1212.gif

What kind of drive is the primary drive for that computer? Is it a spinning disk (HDD) or a solid state drive (SSD)? What specs does it have and how old is it?

Others above are right when they pointed out that drives (especially HDD) often show intermittent failures, which usually come just before the failure is not intermittent. (Extra credit to @Brickwizard for emphasizing it.)

Late edit: Noticed and fixed typo
Its a ssd sandisk 128gb.it is 3 years old.

I tried the live running of linux mit 20.3 and guess what? It so crashed. So i guess my ssd is right but it's my ram then?

In Linux Mint...type disks in the search box and hit Enter...select your SSD and click the three dots and select Smart Data and Self Tests...hope this helps.
m1212.gif
Smart data is. Not available

Attachments

• 20230219_001740.jpg
    20230219_001740.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 158
I would try disabling hardware acceleration in FF. If it only crashes in FF.

My Laptop is 13 yrs old and running Mint Cinnamon 20.3...not long ago I swapped the HDD for a 500GB SSD...SmartTest works fine...
2023-02-21-15-43.png

If it works on mine...it should work on yours.

You have a 128GB SSD...how much free space do you have on the SSD ? You should have at least 20% of free space at all times so the Drive runs efficiently...maybe this is the problem.
m100.gif

ok so this post is coming to you via my 2008 dell laptop
it originally ran mint on a disc spinner, it now runs [mint] lmde5 on a second hand SSD, but uses the same tools
my inxi
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 111.79 GiB used: 34.05 GiB (30.5%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Kingston model: SV300S37A120G size: 111.79 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 105.53 GiB used: 34.05 GiB (32.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
Swap:
ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 4 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda1

Memory: 3.8 GiB used: 1.46 GiB (38.5%)

my drive test
Screenshot from 2023-02-21 11-59-37.png

If INXI is showing the expected amount of ram then there is no problem with your ram,
disc health check is found in, LM menu, all applications, discs, then click on target drive [if you have more than 1] then the 3 dots [upper left] and click on smart data check
note i have 4gb of ram but it only shows as 3.8 due to the rest being allocated to graphics&sound