Success. Dual Boot MX

Mike13Foxtrot

Reaction score
Credits
I had MX Linux 19.4 the way I wanted it. On the initial install I used the whole drive. Upgrade path to MX Linux 21 is a no. I want to keep 19.

So I booted to GParted split the 500GB drive in 2 already had a Snapshot of 19. Successful and it took a total of 1 hour, most of the time was GParted doing its thing. Now I have an MX boot screen with both versions and both are running fine. Actually for me the first dual Linux boot. Have done many distros dual booting next to Win. I read on the web of "horror" stories (that being a bit dramatic) of neither working, or GParted not working, or 21 not installing correctly. I seem to be Problem free.

In the End I keep my VM of WIN10, Kali, Raspi, Win7, all in MX 19.4, and will test distros in VM booted into MX 21. Unlike the Wizard I don't have hundreds of lines in boot menu to choose from. :D But all in all a win.

Nice one, Mike, kick a wizard when he's down. :)

Actually, a little known tip for multibooting is that in Grub Menu, navigation keys

PgUp
PgDn
Home and
End

work fine, so it doesn't take me long to choose.

I have a soft spot for MX having used it since it went to 14.

Glad you got it going.

Wiz

Really like MX, I use Mint to sign on pay bills and sign off. That laptop stays at home. Mint is also on my "gaming rig" Peppermint is light fast and the one that kept the touchscreen with no issues on a 2 in 1 Dell. My other 2 laptops have MX. And a former HP slimline, Win crapped out open the slim little tower it was a Laptop board, so it is in a 9 inch electronics project box, running MX.

I may have to boot up MX Ragout onto a Pi and try it out. Once I clicked install MX 21 took a total of 12 minutes. Lets see Win do that.

I'm not an MX user, at least not long-term. I've poked it in a VM a few dozen times - at best.

What prevents you from updating to new major MX versions, such as 19 to 20 to 21, etc?

It's because of the change in base from Debian 10 (Buster) to Debian 11 (Bullseye).

No official upgrade solution available.

Wiz

Members online