Store installed LM 18.1, Wish to replace with my original LM 18.3

Screenshot from 2019-04-23 13-09-38.png
Screenshot from 2019-04-23 10-27-03.png
Screenshot from 2019-04-23 09-03-09.png
Hi Wiz...I went thru your steps again on the Terminal on the Toshiba...to download Unetbootin. I downloaded it and you can see where it was stored in .bin. Now what do I do 1) to get the same screen as yo sent me above with your red & blue indicators?...and then engage all tthis with the usb? We need that bootable 18.3 from Unetbootin on that thumb drive. I'm including some screenshots.

View attachment 3963 View attachment 3964 View attachment 3965 Hi Wiz...I went thru your steps again on the Terminal on the Toshiba...to download Unetbootin. I downloaded it and you can see where it was stored in .bin. Now what do I do 1) to get the same screen as yo sent me above with your red & blue indicators?...and then engage all tthis with the usb? We need that bootable 18.3 from Unetbootin on that thumb drive. I'm including some screenshots.
I'm being told I don't have sufficient space when I'. trying to do this????? So much for the screenshots!
Doc

It appears that the Store Tech has left you so little space, that Serena is all but unusable, so scratch any idea of working with it, it will be fixed before long, I hope :)

1.Go to the Desktop and fire up Windows, and open its internet browser, can't remember if that was still Internet Explorer.

2. Go to https://unetbootin.github.io/

... and choose the Windows download, likely on the left, and click to download, choose to save the file, it should default to where your Windows Downloads are kept.

3. When the download is complete, open your Windows File Manager (may be Explorer) and find the file and double-click it, it will warn you/ask you about making changes to your drive and allow it to install Unetbootin.

4. Get your 18.3 USB stick - remember it was compromised, too, by the Store Techs.

Pause here - do you remember I said at #6 on page 1 of this Thread -

Take your USB stick and insert it and wait for it to be recognised, then close any popups.

Go to Menu and type in usb, you will get two choices, choose the one with Format. Before you format it, click the “down elevator” button at the end of the Format field and check that you have the USB stick selected, NOT your T5. Where it says Volume Label, you can overstrike that with eg “Sylvia-Live”. You Format it to Fat32 (likely the default) and that will erase Serena Live that the Store buggered up with.

Pop the stick out, wait a few seconds and insert it again, you will be notified that a drive has been inserted, close that.

Go to your File Manager (Nemo) and look in the left-hand pane for Sylvia-Live and click, the right-hand pane , at the bottom it may show 0 (zero) items, 8.0 GB free, where 8.0 represents the size of the stick. LET ME KNOW.

Did you follow that at the time, ie is the stick now formatted and clean/empty?

5. a. If it is NOT, do the format from Windows. Insert the stick and open the Windows File Manager and find the stick, it will likely be on an E drive or F drive, and you should be able to tell that it is 16 GB or thereabouts. Once you have identified the thumb drive

5.b. Right-click its entry and choose Format. If it offers a choice of Quick Format or Full Format, choose Full Format and format it as FAT32. Once the formatting is completed, eject the stick.

6. Still in Windows, go to the site for Linux Mint and download the .iso for Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit Cinnamon, using one of your Universities if you wish.

When you have the downloaded iso, we'll use Unetbootin to burn the iso to the thumb drive, but don't get ahead of me.

Cheers

Wiz

Hi Wiz...this is so wild. You do realize we're heading for that dreaded 10 page ceiling???

O.K., I'm thrilled we're maybe onto the right track here...and once again I'm sorry for the monumental shop screw- up.

I took a brand new 14.8 thumb drive and formatted it. I ejected it from the desktop usb port.

Also I've got Clarkson U.'s Sylvia download standing by. in Downloads.

Now for me this is where it gets tricky and usually screw up...getting the downloaded .exe to open and burn the .iso onto that new thumb drive.. Please step me thru the land mine, o.k.? Thanks!
Doc

I'm sorry for the monumental shop screw- up.

You are not accountable for their screwup, friend, it is just unfortunate. ;), and makes for lateral thinking.

getting the downloaded .exe to open

If that is the .exe for Unetbootin, then double-click it and install it.

If you have already done that, then go to Windows Start Menu/button and click, and start to type in Unetbootin, something should come up, click it.

See if a Window opens similar to the screenshot I did with the arrows and the 8 step ordered, in it. If it does, we are in business. One of the fields will be empty until you insert the formatted thumb drive (not now). When we DO do that, it will have something like D drive or E drive showing, rather than /dev/sdd1 or whatever, because my screenshot was shot from Linux, not Windows. We'll adapt.

If the above has been satisfied, then you will be able to close Unetbootin, and then insert your formatted thumb drive.

I am going to dive over to Windows and check something and then continue.

Wiz

I'm trying to hold my mouth the right way, Wiz, really! I am taken to the download choice of distributions. No way getting around it. Among the many choices there is Linux Mint but you say to leave this alone but I am not allowed to go further unless I choose a distrib.

So next step is to send my friend a screenshot of the message. I take it and file it. Then I try to upload it using the button next to 'Post Reply'. I have to right click and copy the address to the bar above...that's right, I can't Upload a File here in Windows. That brings me to a totally new forum page where I copy but then I find I'm no longer responding to your #45 above. The message I started and was going to send you (like this one) has been wiped out and I'm re-written my response to you.

I'm chasing my damn tail, Chris. I must be doing something wrong. Help!
Doc

Attachments

• UBootin Download.PNG
    UBootin Download.PNG
    54 KB · Views: 821
Wow...now in review it is there. This is really crazy. Please respond when you can. I'm standing by.
Doc

I'm embarrassed to tell you this after all the hard work you've done, Chris. I can't tell you why but after about 6 times re-reading your #31 post, my eyes opened. I realized I was failing to focus on step 3 & 4. I changed the Persistence to 2048 and then actually entered the storage place for this downloaded file to go.Your steps couldn't have been more clear. I was just focused on other things, I guess. Anyway, iIt started right up. So I think I've got a burned .iso for 18.3. I didn't know the steps to take to do a Checksum, so I'm assuming it is o.k.??? I did download a Checksum utility but I don't know how to grab the numbers off the 256 file and actually check them. So I'll wait just to be safe. I haven't touched the Toshiba.
Doc

Phew!!! :p:):D

That sounds promising.

Dick we can check the checksums in Windows 7 through 10 with a product called

Raymond's MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility

... which is free from

http://raylin.wordpress.com/downloads/md5-sha-1-checksum-utility/

The website page shows a screenshot of the PRO version, but the one you download is freeware.

We can come back to that if we need it, but for now, let's go ahead with what we have?

If the burned thumb drive is still in the Windows rig, eject it and move to the Toshiba.

Wiz

Done...it's pulled. Want me to now shut down the Toshiba and then plug it in there? F12 to Boot?
Doc

First of all let's be sure we are on the same page with the Toshiba's drives.

The 1 TB WDC (aka WD Blue) SSD is currently /dev/sda. 'Serena' is on /dev/sda1 and they gave it too little space to continue with.

The 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD is on /dev/sdb, currently is have two partitions, about the same size, one is formatted to EXT4, the other for who knows what lack of intelligence, they made as Swap.

Tell me which one is the newer, and which one you want Sylvia on?

Wiz

The newest is the internal SSD just installed with Serena. For clarification, the other internal SSD (500Gb) was installed several months ago replacing the DVD. It has never been used and I don't know even if there is anything on it or if it was ever partitioned. I'm open to suggestions as to how best to use it but at the moment let's just set that one aside, Chris. I don't even know how to properly save info to these other drives.

I'm holding on. I sense we're getting close to installing 18.3 on this notebook.

Doc

Are you fresh enough? I note it is 9:50 PM there.

I will swing over to Sylvia and be back in a few

You're probably right. I'll be at it fresh tomorrow a.m. Sorry to miss your immediate post on this.
Doc

No problemo.

I will post some info for you to check with regard to the USB stick working, and customising it a little, then we can do the install as a separate exercise.

Sleep well :)

OK first of all, let's see, Dick, if the Unetbootin-burnt thumb drive works OK?

I'd like you to start from a powered-down state on the Toshiba, no T5 yet.

Do you remember how to get into your Setup? It would likely have been two Function keys that did it, out of -
  • Esc
  • Del
  • F2
  • F10
  • F12
One of the successful candidates would take you straight to your full Setup facility, the other would take you straight to Boot Order, perhaps on a one-time basis. Remember one of them had F5 and F6 as a means of moving items up and down.

So once you have established that -

Insert the stick and then power up. Interrupt the boot process to boot from the thumb drive first.

See if it boots in to a Linux Mint 18.3 'Sylvia' Cinnamon Desktop. It will have an Install icon on the desktop near top left, maybe 3 icons down.

If that does not work, let us know. Remember you can click the Menu button bottom left, start to type in Welcome and click that and it will tell you what you are in.

If it DOES work, I'd like you to do the following, in any order:
  • Right-click anywhere on the Desktop, choose New ... file, and click. Call the file TestPersist and enter it. Type in "does this work?", save and close.
  • Right-click anywhere on the Desktop, choose change background. Pick a background you like.
  • Go to Menu button, there will be a left-hand pane. Mouse over to Settings (intermeshing cogs icon) and click, a window will appear with 4 categories.
  • Find Screensaver and open its window. Go to Settings and change from default time to Never and exit that
  • Find Power Management and open its window. Presuming you have the laptop on Mains Power, and not Battery, set up Mains or A/C from default (30 mins?) to Never and exit
  • Find mouse and keyboard and enter it, move the cursor size bar to large, it will grow, and exit
Following these changes, in the System Tray bottom right of Desktop will be a small icon of a bust (human head), click and choose to restart.

Restart, follow the same procedure to get back into your Live environment (through Setup), and when you get to the Desktop, see if your changes have "persisted".

If they HAVE, reward yourself by double-clicking the file TestPersist and adding a line "Yes, it does, you beauty!!", save and exit.

You can then power down again. Wait 20 seconds or so and remove the stick (always a good idea to wait a few secs, in case read/write operations are completing) and next we will look at installing.

Good luck :)

Wizard

F2 brings up the Setup Utility, Wiz...from the full shutdown you requested. Here's what I see (of relevance).

Main: HDD/SSD WDC WDS100T2Boa-00SM50 (S2)...Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB MB Total Memory Size: 2048 MB

Boot:: 1. HDD/SSD WDC WDS100T2BOA-00SM50 (S2);
2. Totally 'Blued out) with the number '3' close to the end of the first line of the 5 lines of blue;
3. USB
4. FDD SMI USB Disk
5. CD/DVD
6. LAN

After I exit...it starts to bring up LM and a message appears on screen saying:
(Warning !) User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This
prevents the default session and language from
being saved. File should be owned by user and have
644 permissions. User's $HOME directory must be
owned by user and not writeable by other users.

The thumb drive is still in at this point and nothing indicated that Sylvia was installed/recognized. What to do...just wait?...pull the thumb drive and wait?
Doc

Oh Lord...the Toshiba shut down. When I bring it up there is a (-) message...could not update ICEauthority file /home/richard/.ICEauthority...only option for me was to log out. I'm given two login names (Dick...and Richard) when it starts up. Real slow. Good news is that it does open...LM 18.1 though. But my background screen has changed back to LM. Weird startup though.

Don't look like I did right...the boot process you gave me. I'll wait.
Doc

My goodness you DO get the doozies, don't you? :)

Boot:: 1. HDD/SSD WDC WDS100T2BOA-00SM50 (S2);
2. Totally 'Blued out) with the number '3' close to the end of the first line of the 5 lines of blue;
3. USB
4. FDD SMI USB Disk
5. CD/DVD
6. LAN

Is this on a screen where you can move up USB (currently at 3.) ahead of HDD?

Wiz

I wish that wasn't so, Chris. No, that is merely showing what is where. Further down is the 'Boot' order where you can change what is in primary order. If I'm reading you right, you want the USB (#3) to be in #1 Priority.
Doc

Staff online

Members online