Stellaris - Turn off vsync

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
I need to disable vsync on stellaris on linux.
On windows you do it simply by opening settings.ini on your documents folder, but on linux its not there. So how do you do it on Linux?

which distribution are you using ? it should be in system settings

which distribution are you using ? it should be in system settings
I do not wish to disable vsync globally. Only per this game. The option is not present within the game itself, therefore you must must edit the settings in your local documents folder. However this is a procedure that is only applicable on windows cancer, on Linux, the aforementioned file does not exist.

I am not a gamer, have you had a nose around the steam forums?

I need to disable vsync on stellaris on linux.
On windows you do it simply by opening settings.ini on your documents folder, but on linux its not there. So how do you do it on Linux?

The game is natively supported on linux, with already superior performance on it's native mode. You would have me activate compatibility mode using proton, lose performance on the translation layer, only to regain it by disabling vsync?

Both actions would in my case cancel each other out.

The game is natively supported on linux, with already superior performance on it's native mode. You would have me activate compatibility mode using proton, lose performance on the translation layer, only to regain it by disabling vsync?

Both actions would in my case cancel each other out.

You know what. Find out how to do it yourself if you gonna act like a kid.
I was nice to give you a solution. If you want to use it or not, it's up to you.
And also, don't talk to me about OpenGL. I have played more games on Linux than you will ever do in a lifetime; I have 2000 games on my main Steam alone, and I build a youtube channel up around gaming on Linux, so a lest show some respect when people try to be friendly and help you.

Last edited:
You know what. Find out how to do it yourself if you gonna act like a kid.
I was nice to give you a solution. If you want to use it or not, it's up to you.
You know, your reply had me setting in front of the screen for almost half hour, pondering just why would you feel incensed and filled with indignation over my answer.

Please don't misunderstand, I don't know you and I couldn't care less about emotional state of mind. I just found it curious that someone would be so inflamed over someone saying, in uncertain terms, that "No, this unfortunately wouldn't help me very much".

Must be a Danish culture thing. Should I choose, I could have done a balkan culture thing and have a few choice words prepared for you. I'd prefer you stop provoking me.

You know, your reply had me setting in front of the screen for almost half hour, pondering just why would you feel incensed and filled with indignation over my answer.

Please don't misunderstand, I don't know you and I couldn't care less about emotional state of mind. I just found it curious that someone would be so inflamed over someone saying, in uncertain terms, that "No, this unfortunately wouldn't help me very much".

Must be a Danish culture thing. Should I choose, I could have done a balkan culture thing and have a few choice words prepared for you. I'd prefer you stop provoking me.

Re-read your own reply and then this replay you just made again, and if you still can't see why, then I feel sorry for you. Anyway, this will be my last comment to this post because I don't like your attitude, and I take the high stand here and not get the admin involved in this for no reason. Hope you find out how to do it in OpenGL.

Where are you looking for the file?
As he said, the file doesn't exist in native linux. I am not going to make a mess of this simple inquiry. If it can't be done without proton, then it can't be done. I found a another way to fix my latency issue by using
gamemoderun -high
custom parameter on steam. I just ended up with very little performance overhead when tabbing out of the game.

As he said, the file doesn't exist in native linux. I am not going to make a mess of this simple inquiry. If it can't be done without proton, then it can't be done. I found a another way to fix my latency issue by using

custom parameter on steam. I just ended up with very little performance overhead when tabbing out of the game.

If you have NVIDIA, you can try __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0. It's what I use to turn it off, so I don't have to change it in the NVIDIA control panel. And if you want the OpenGL FPS Overlay, you can use __GL_SHOW_GRAPHICS_OSD=1, and if you're going to have the GLCache turn on, you can use this __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE=1, and if you want it at a place of your chosen, you can use __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH="/mnt/Games/Cache". And, using this variable you can have a cache size bigger than 128MB __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_SKIP_CLEANUP=1

Members online