Stack Smashing. What's that?

PuppyHome

Reaction score
Credits
Hi fine people of Linux.org.

The other day I was running Chromium in Firejail and a few times before I noticed that for a few seconds (about 3 minutes runnig) my PC was being very busy with, well something.
Fans whirring, lights flashing, slow browsing that sort of thing.

So yesterday I fied up my Parrot Home machine (not using it but keeping it up-to-date) and decided to browse a bit to see if that weird thing is still going on. And indeed it did. I immediately checked the terminal (from where I started Chromium in Firejail and noticed a line in the log saying Stack smashing Terminated. Or something to that effect.

Could anyone explain the to me as if I was a10-yo as the documentation I was reading after researching it is a bit over my head. Is it something I should be concerned about?

I checked 2 other browsers Firejail (FF and Brave ) and there was no stack smashing detected whereas in Chromium this occurs within 3 minutes of running.

Thanks in advance. :cool:

It means something is trying to things with memory outside of where it's allowed to do things.

It could be accidental due to aloppy programming, or it could be malicious. Either way, it isn't good.

It means something is trying to things with memory outside of where it's allowed to do things.

It could be accidental due to aloppy programming, or it could be malicious. Either way, it isn't good.
Thanks. So, not running that browser is a good idea, right? (Will do some more reading).

It may mean you need to customize the firejail configuration for that application.

Firejail tries to keep things in a jail - containerized. Chromium was probably trying to do something like allocate more memory or something similar.

That's my official guess.

It may mean you need to customize the firejail configuration for that application.

Firejail tries to keep things in a jail - containerized. Chromium was probably trying to do something like allocate more memory or something similar.

That's my official guess.
I've been thinking along those lines as well. I do have a costumized config file on Chromium so yeah that could be a factor.

Live and learn. Will dig deeper into this.

Members online