Sound not working after updating to 23.04

Try:
Code:
lspci -nnk |grep -A3 -i aud
Fortunately there's more than one way to get the info, but if you get no result all, then the hypotheses would presumably turn to: Is there a sound card at all? Or, is there a hardware issue with the existing sound card which prevents it from either showing itself or working?
There is a sound card and it was working just fine before I updated, here is the result I get:
1688320593130.png

There is a sound card and it was working just fine before I updated, here is the result I get:
View attachment 16215
Thanks for that output. It wasn't entirely clear to me from post #1 that you did have sound previously, but that is a good sign since it suggests that it's a matter of drivers or firmware. There are two available from the output from your machine, the sof_audio_pci_intel_cnl one being used.

I refer you to this link:
where there is a discussion of the potential problems with the sof_audio driver if it's not the latest one available because of the fast-paced development of it. The text in the link proposes a method to use the other driver you have, snd_hda_intel. Though the article applies to debian, the basics apply to debian derivatives as well, so I think you can ignore the references to the debian releases mentioned and pay attention to the other technical details.

So, it looks at this stage that you need to ensure that you have the latest driver, and also, importantly, the latest firmware installed, which is in the package: firmware-sof-signed, and see if that works.

Alternatively, you can revert to the use of the snd_hda_intel driver as described in the linked article.
See if any of that helps.

@Hans52, are the speakers mentioned there 'comet etc'...your speakers?....does the drop down menu there show any other choice?....have you hit the test button?

Thanks for that output. It wasn't entirely clear to me from post #1 that you did have sound previously, but that is a good sign since it suggests that it's a matter of drivers or firmware. There are two available from the output from your machine, the sof_audio_pci_intel_cnl one being used.

I refer you to this link:
where there is a discussion of the potential problems with the sof_audio driver if it's not the latest one available because of the fast-paced development of it. The text in the link proposes a method to use the other driver you have, snd_hda_intel. Though the article applies to debian, the basics apply to debian derivatives as well, so I think you can ignore the references to the debian releases mentioned and pay attention to the other technical details.

So, it looks at this stage that you need to ensure that you have the latest driver, and also, importantly, the latest firmware installed, which is in the package: firmware-sof-signed, and see if that works.

Alternatively, you can revert to the use of the snd_hda_intel driver as described in the linked article.
See if any of that helps.
Hello, thank you once again for your help. I have read the article and done everything up to the point where it says this:
Create a file

/etc/modprobe.d/inteldsp.conf
and add

options snd_intel_dspcfg dsp_driver=1
then reboot.

So I have to run the commands "touch /etc/modprobe.d/inteldsp.conf" and then "sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/inteldsp.conf" and add the text "options snd_intel_dspcfg dsp_driver=1" to that file, right?
If this is right then I have done everything and it still won't work. Will the new Ubuntu release fix this problem?

There has been one change tho, now it displays a different name for the speakers in the settings:
1688377898289.png

It says "Built-in Audio", instead of the Comet Lake ... from before

@Hans52, are the speakers mentioned there 'comet etc'...your speakers?....does the drop down menu there show any other choice?....have you hit the test button?
Unless I connect other sound devices, they are the only device in the drop down menu. I have hit the Test button and so, but that damn sound just won't work

But are they the asctual speakers you have connected to your PC?

sorry to belabour the point, but I found that 23.04 made a mistake in identifying my speakers

Maybe an idea out of the blue. I've had it that the sound output device at the back of my pc when defect, so then when I turned on my speaker no sound would come out but it did show up as a device. What I ended up doing is plugging my speaker in at the front of my pc where your normally plug in your headset, after I did that I had sound again with the output device show "Headphones - Built-in Audio". It might be worth a try in your case?

Maybe an idea out of the blue. I've had it that the sound output device at the back of my pc when defect, so then when I turned on my speaker no sound would come out but it did show up as a device. What I ended up doing is plugging my speaker in at the front of my pc where your normally plug in your headset, after I did that I had sound again with the output device show "Headphones - Built-in Audio". It might be worth a try in your case?
Thank you for your contribution, but my device is a laptop, I have only one port for headphones or speakers and it works flawlessly, it's just the laptop's speakers that have this kind of issue

Thank you for your contribution, but my device is a laptop, I have only one port for headphones or speakers and it works flawlessly, it's just the laptop's speakers that have this kind of issue
You mean the internal speakers of the laptop?

In terminal....

Code:
rm -r ~/.config/pulse/

Then reboot

I don't think you have anything to lose by trying this

Think it may be time to install something else?

What Ubuntu version where you on before you updated to 23.04? It would be worth it just to create a live usb with that version again, boot from that to test your internal speakers again?

It would be worth it just to create a live usb with that version again, boot from that to test your internal speakers again?

that suggestion from @f33dm3bits would a logical next step

What Ubuntu version where you on before you updated to 23.04? It would be worth it just to create a live usb with that version again, boot from that to test your internal speakers again?
I had the 22.10 Kinetic Kudu. Isn't there an easier way? I am quite a beginner and I am not comfortable in doing this stuff

I had the 22.10 Kinetic Kudu. Isn't there an easier way? I am quite a beginner and I am not comfortable in doing this stuff
You can download it from here:
Then you will have to flash to a usb drive and then boot from it.

Members online