Sound not working after updating to 23.04

Hans52

Reaction score
Credits
Hello guys, the sound on my laptop is not working. I went on this website for help: https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-no-sound-issue-ubuntu/#pavucontrol and I ran this command: amixer -D pulse sset Master toggle. The ouput is displayed in the image below. I was thinking that maybe my issue was that [off] that's written right next to "Front Left" and "Front Right". How can I turn it [on]? Thank you in advance!

E6EYZ.png

running that same command again should hopefully toggle the last two rows to [on].

Sorry I can't help, but I'm unsure if that article linked to in the original post would have helped either, as it was written for PulseAudio, 23.04 uses pipewire now for sound which has changed a few things (23.04 is a non-LTS release showing the progress/status towards the next 24.04 LTS don't forget)

FYI: If you scan the article for mention of pipewire it does mention it a number of times, alas I read it as coming in the future, and you system is in that future.

If it was me, I'd ensure pipewire is mentioned in articles about troubleshooting, if they don't they maybe too old (and could lead to making changes that aren't good for your system).

Sorry I was only involved in testing the pulseaudio to pipewire conversions & looking for problems (22.10 to 23.04 upgrades etc) & didn't take enough notice of how it change operation (I only experienced minor package issues, that didn't require me to have any sound knowledge).

Last edited:
The command: pavucontrol, works in pipewire. Sound can be unmuted there if that's the issue.
An alternative is to run: alsamixer, and ensure sound is not muted there.

To find out which sound server is running the sound devices, you can run:
Code:
lsof /dev/snd/*

Ensure that sound is started by systemd.

I'll add in case my prior post was less than ideal, but from a user perspective, the change from PulseAudio to Pipewire changes ~nothing...

Most the changes are system level and unseen by us end-users (I'm a user and not a developer; not understanding it I felt helped with my QA of changes; I may have some understanding how some things work, alas not sound).

I use my system now (I'm on mantic & using Ubuntu Desktop or GNOME currently, but other DEs have migrated too) as if there was no changes (using my desktop/GUI), however I'm aware package & configuration changes have occurred, and its my understanding that this has changed some things from a package/configuration level when working from terminal etc. This was provided primarily as warning, and I'd only use guides written that take pipewire into account.

G'day Hans52, Welcome to Linux.org

Which OS are you running?

Is PulseAudio installed?....Pipewire?....pavucontrol?

G'day Hans52, Welcome to Linux.org

Which OS are you running?

Is PulseAudio installed?....Pipewire?....pavucontrol?
Hey, I am on Ubuntu 23.04 and I suppose that everything should be installed, I am not much of an expert tho

The command: pavucontrol, works in pipewire. Sound can be unmuted there if that's the issue.
An alternative is to run: alsamixer, and ensure sound is not muted there.

To find out which sound server is running the sound devices, you can run:
Code:
lsof /dev/snd/*

Ensure that sound is started by systemd.
When I run the command it tells me this, what should I do now?:
Screenshot from 2023-07-01 08-39-08.png

Thanks for the detail. The system is running the pipewire sound server.
Have you made sure that sound is unmuted in pavucontrol or alsamixer? That needs to be done.

Next you could check the status of the sound server with these commands:
Code:
systemctl status --user pipewire.service
systemctl status --user wireplumber.service
If either is not running, you can start them with:
Code:
systemctl --user start pipewire.service
systemctl --user start wireplumber.service
Then check that they have started with the status commands above.

If after determining that sound is unmuted, and still not working after starting the sound server, then the problem needs further investigation.

Hello guys, the sound on my laptop is not working. I went on this website for help: https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-no-sound-issue-ubuntu/#pavucontrol and I ran this command: amixer -D pulse sset Master toggle. The ouput is displayed in the image below. I was thinking that maybe my issue was that [off] that's written right next to "Front Left" and "Front Right". How can I turn it [on]? Thank you in advance!

View attachment 16144
Hello Hans52,
Can you post a screenshot of the output of alsamixer ?

Thanks for the detail. The system is running the pipewire sound server.
Have you made sure that sound is unmuted in pavucontrol or alsamixer? That needs to be done.

Next you could check the status of the sound server with these commands:
Code:
systemctl status --user pipewire.service
systemctl status --user wireplumber.service
If either is not running, you can start them with:
Code:
systemctl --user start pipewire.service
systemctl --user start wireplumber.service
Then check that they have started with the status commands above.

If after determining that sound is unmuted, and still not working after starting the sound server, then the problem needs further investigation.
Hello thank you for the advice, I checked everything: pavucontrol, aslamixer, pipewire and wireplumber, it just won't work. Do you know what to do now? thank you so much for the help

Thanks for the alsamixer pic. Sound is not muted, though not set loud on the speaker. At this point it's worth looking at the sound card and drivers, and what the system is using, which can be accessed with the command:
Code:
lspci -nnkd ::403
This should show the devices, the drivers and the modules.

By the way, what's the machine model and the installed distro?

Thanks for the alsamixer pic. Sound is not muted, though not set loud on the speaker. At this point it's worth looking at the sound card and drivers, and what the system is using, which can be accessed with the command:
Code:
lspci -nnkd ::403
This should show the devices, the drivers and the modules.

By the way, what's the machine model and the installed distro?
Hello, the machine is an HP EliteBook 840 G7 and the distro is the normal Ubuntu 23.04. I'm sorry but the line of code didn't return anything, like hitting the enter key.

1688281079849.png

At first I copy pasted it, but know I wrote it myself and the result is the same.
Screenshot from 2023-07-02 09-22-10.png

Thank you for your patience mate, I really appreciate it

When you are on the page labelled sound....what does it say the output device is ?

btw....ubuntu 23.04 would be a waste of space...it is only supported until January 2024

At first I copy pasted it, but know I wrote it myself and the result is the same.View attachment 16209
Thank you for your patience mate, I really appreciate it
Try:
Code:
lspci -nnk |grep -A3 -i aud
Fortunately there's more than one way to get the info, but if you get no result all, then the hypotheses would presumably turn to: Is there a sound card at all? Or, is there a hardware issue with the existing sound card which prevents it from either showing itself or working?

Last edited:

Members online