Some books for completely understanding Linux

Huu Hieu

Reaction score
Credits
I have using Linux for a long time, but I am too confused. I read tutorials on web, then try and fail as always.
Please suggest me some books for command line, tools, shell script and knowledge need to configure system.
Then How I proceed to programming on userland and in kernel, especially in embedded system.
Thanks.

From memory, these are what got me going.

'How Linux Works' - 'The Linux Command Line' - 'Bash Scripting on Linux'

I have using Linux for a long time, but I am too confused. I read tutorials on web, then try and fail as always.
Welcome to the forums.

With actual books or electronic ones, and especially videos created by half-intentioned people, this will not get better for you unless you practice, practice, practice. Also not look to do things with GUI which could be done more easily on the terminal.

There are many things I still don't know, and other concepts (like "bash" programming) that will remain forbidden fruit for me. "Completely" understanding Linux is impossible. Even the experts don't know all the ins and outs about the kernel, about optional components such as "systemd" and about the various window managers and desktop environments. Usually someone is good at a couple of topics, but clueless about something else in the same category.

One thing for sure. "Learning" the terminal takes practice... and maybe some data loss, headaches, screaming and throwing fists toward the computer and whatnot. I'm sorry I have to say things like this but the learning experience could be difficult for some people.

Certianly "How Linux Works" is a good book.
But I often suggest you also follow this set of lessons on line.
Linux Journey

The Linux Foundation has free courses on edX.
"Linux for Dummies", "Linux Bible", plus the docs for whichever distro you are running are a good place to start.

I've flipped through, perusing some sections more than others, and find the latest version of the Linux Bible to be quite good. It's not necessarily something you read from cover to cover, but you could. I'd consider it more of a reference book, where you look up what you want to know.

Welcome to the forums.

With actual books or electronic ones, and especially videos created by half-intentioned people, this will not get better for you unless you practice, practice, practice. Also not look to do things with GUI which could be done more easily on the terminal.

There are many things I still don't know, and other concepts (like "bash" programming) that will remain forbidden fruit for me. "Completely" understanding Linux is impossible. Even the experts don't know all the ins and outs about the kernel, about optional components such as "systemd" and about the various window managers and desktop environments. Usually someone is good at a couple of topics, but clueless about something else in the same category.

One thing for sure. "Learning" the terminal takes practice... and maybe some data loss, headaches, screaming and throwing fists toward the computer and whatnot. I'm sorry I have to say things like this but the learning experience could be difficult for some people.
I completely agree with you, you shouldn’t neglect practice.

So you want to "completely understand linux"?

Forget it! Thats too much information. I think the best you can do is understand how the kernel works generally speaking, but you need some programming background b4 that's even possible.

I try to look at tech on a need-to-know basis. Nobody completely understands linux, i doubt linus torvalds even does. The kernel has grown tremendously since he created it.

I have no books because experience doesn't come in them. The problems you encounter or create aren't in books...the best way to learn is by trial and error...get in and have a go and keep notes.
m1213.gif

Of cause there's this Forum where you can learn from people who have solved many problems in the past on many Distros.
m1212.gif

Members online