[Solved] Linux Mint Mate 21.2 Partitions, BIOS settings

visionhelp

Reaction score
Credits
Hallo.
(Ich hoffe, im richtigen Forum-Bereich zu posten.)
Bei Versuchen, ohne exakt vorbereitete Partitionen, mißlingt die Installation.
(Wenn es nicht noch etwas Anderes ist.)
Uefi - Partition - soll nicht sein.
Ich möchte gerne wissen, welche Partition mit welcher Größe welches Datei-System soll.
Und gerne noch die optimalste Reihen-Folge der Einrichtung der Partitionen.
(root (muß per ´/´ eingehängt werden), boot, home, swap: alle benötigt ?
Vielen Dank im voraus.

[Solved so far:] CORRECTION, conclusion:
Linux Mint Mate has an own install-manager, which handles - creates - the required partitions automatically.
(From Knoppix (install to HD) only known to me until this time, I was misleaded understanding to have to manual create (the (Knoppix) required) partitions for Linux every other Linux version, too.
Now first I may know this better. Thank You.)
Further Note: When installing on EFI there happens a warning, that it is not recommended to continue to install ... THIS really is just to ignore and just to continue to install. This I could experience with Linux Mint Mate 21.2.)

Last edited:

translate.google.com
(I hope to post in the right forum area.)
In experiments, without precisely prepared partitions, the installation fails.
(If it's not anything else.)
UEFI partition - shouldn't be.
I would like to know which partition with which size which file system should.
And gladly the most optimal series sequence of setting up the partitions.
Thanks in advance.

Translate to English , Please

What are you installing?

More detail please

Welcome to Linux.org

English ... OK.
Linux Mint Mate 21.2. (German version, if reminding correctly.) Not enough info ? Sorry.
Thanks Your welcome.

This is kind of like asking, what kind of motor should I put in my car. It depends.

Assuming your computer supports EFI, all you really need are two file systems.
/ and /boot-efi

All the other directories, could be under the / parition.

You will get a lot of different opinions on this, but I typically create ..
/
/boot-efi
/boot
/root
/home
/var
swap

each as it's own partition. But really it's just personal preference.

Sometimes I also create....
/opt
/srv

boot-efi is rarely over 300 MB (meg )
I usually a rolling distro that gets new kernels about every week, so I make /boot about 2.5GB (gig)

The rest depends on how big your hard drive is.
/ should be at least 10GB, but if you have the space, 25GB isn't unreasonable.
swap should usually be the same as your RAM up to a point. If you have 8GB RAM, make swap 8GB.
/var should be at least 10GB, I know some people will disagree, but by default a lot of things go under
var these days. Sometimes If I have a lot of VirtualBox VMs, I make it 20GB.
/home this is usually the biggest partition, If I have a 250GB hard drive, /home can be close to 200GB
of it.

The currently still trouble topic is EFI, UEFI.
UEFI touching in into the BIOS I do not want.
The file-format GPT I do not want also.
(In BIOS with no UEFI should not require an extra partition for EFI, I only can imagine.)
So this limits the partitions to only 4 possible on 1 drive. (Which even is enough for Linux Mint Mate, as far as I already can understand.)
The minimum size my drives is 64 GB. So enough for every OS.
(´swap´ I want 16 GB, for possible 8 GB RAM double.)
`home´, I understand, to prefer the most possible space, so the rest of what is needed for the other partitions.
But I like - the other partitions - to configure to the highest sizes, but these still not quite clear.

´home´ and ´swap´ I do prefer.
What of ´boot´ and ´root´ is needed what for ? ´boot´: OK. ´root´ in addition ?
And still to have to know, which of these partitions require the ´/´ ´option´.
Usual partition-manager do not have this. The best method to do this appears currently to me, to use the install method the Installation Type ´Something else´ partition-manager, because there is the ´/´ option very visually well to see.
(Each partition as Primary, so far I understand already also.)

Thanks Your interesst.

Last edited:
If you don't want to use /boot-efi

then you will need a /biosboot partition, this can be very very small. Usually 2MB is more than enough.
However if your computer supports it, EFI is recommended, it's faster and more secure.

The GPT partition table isn't a requirement, but it's nice to have more than 4 partitions sometimes,
so there really is no need not to use it. It works with Legacy BIOS and EFI mode.

If you have really big hard drive of more than 2TB, then you would not be able to use it all,
because MBR only supports up to 2TB.

/boot-eft != /boot/efi. Normally it's /boot/efi, where the efi direectory is in boot directory.

My apologies, I had a typo error there.

/boot-eft != /boot/efi. Normally it's /boot/efi, where the efi direectory is in boot directory.

It's mounted under /boot, but it has to be it's own filesystem.
This has to be formatted using vfat. Everything else can be ext, xfs, or a few options,
Even /boot can be a Linux filesystem, but /boot/efi cannot.

UEFI touching in into the BIOS I do not want.
The file-format GPT I do not want also.
If you don't want to use /boot-efi

then you will need a /biosboot partition
The OP may be able to install Linux 21.2 into just a single partition ( / ) on a HDD/SDD... I just did it on an NVMe. The drive needs to be prepared (with Gparted or other tool) as "msdos" and the bootloader is installed direct to the NVMe drive (not a partition), like in the old days installing it to the MBR. Mint uses swap files, so no partition is needed for that either.

This setup shown below is the most simple possible, and it boots fine on my Dell desktop. It's possible that it won't work on other brands of computers, or those with different BIOS setups. Setting up this way requires using the "Something else" partitioning method during installation. If instead you choose to "Erase disk and install Mint"... then Mint will still create a /boot/efi partition, and I think it also creates an extended partition (and another partition inside the extended) that it will install the OS into. This isn't needed, but that's what they do, as I recall.

mint21.png

EDIT: No, it doesn't create an extended partition when using "Erase disk and install Mint" method, at least it didn't this time while testing it again. I did not change the partition table from msdos to gpt, so it looks like Mint did that too. Here's how it looks now:

mint21b.png

Last edited:
Ouh, ouh, ouh, lots to read.
But, from the first fast overflying, it appears it is going into the right direction to me. Thanks a lot so far.

(2 TB I will never need, let me say it once so.
More than one partition for me in Windows already is un-overviewable.
For a further, for example, a Windows installation, for me it is clearer apparted, having it on a second drive. With already easy to use the boot-menu.
Or edit the boot-loader manually.
Because Linux or Windows - no matter which first - each boot-loader overwrites the boot-loader of the other. Some tries and much work and much disappointments just.)

From Knoppix (9.1) I know Swap partition creating, which I understand faster as just file. (With Swap-Linux (or Linux-Swap) file-format.)
That double size of RAM-size is to recommend I did read now in some instructions for Linux Mint. For perhaps receiving 8 GB some time I do now already the this 16 GB.
So now this partition, the size, the file-format is clear. Thanks.
The decision, whether as second or third partition or which succession, chronology, still is not clear for me. For performance, for fastest: in all.
With reading the link´s

How To: Create And Enable A Swapfile • Linux Tips

is to realize, that using Swap at all may be deactivated. This to check will last many months at least, for me.
This in Windows prefered, for faster perforrmance, so my impression, could be a further option. But without knowing, this is the same in Linux, does now not want to speak against this partition, but for switch off the swap-function once at all, for an at first testing, from the experience from Windows.
(Let me say it so, that it is not just easy, to recognize whether a (rare) trouble may be from Swap deactivated or from anything else.)

(Joke, please: enough "details" ?)

(First try) to conclude: (as second or third partition), Linux-Swap partition, 16 GB, file-format Linux-Swap.
If OK, I would like to conclude in the first post.
The topic EFI I post as next.)

Last edited:
EFI:
"/biosboot partition, this can be very very small. Usually 2MB is more than enough.
However if your computer supports it, EFI is recommended, it's faster and more secure."
"It works with Legacy BIOS and EFI mode".

"faster and more secure": great.
(I hope, EFI will stay in future ... sorry, my head: I need some break, for health for now. Thanks for understanding.)
In BIOS I do the setting: Legacy. This either does with set (to) the EFI mode or EFI has to be set extra. (Do not remind, sorry.)
(And, for example for HDMI, switch off, basically: Secure Boot.)

So, now the partition, the ´/boot´:
Size: 2 MB (enough; 512 MB over-sized ?), file-system, best ? ´ext4´ ? Fat 32 ?
(As first partition, I assume.)
Have to set this partition with the ´/´ option (called mounted) ? (In Installation ´Installation Type´ ´Something else´ partition-manager.)

"I did not change the partition table from msdos to gpt, so it looks like Mint did that too": this may come from BIOS-setting ´UEFI´.

(This (with 2 or 3 tries) does not work ""Erase disk and install Mint", perhaps from EFI in BIOS setted, but I do not know. Therefor now the manual partitions creating.)

This leaves me confused:
"It's mounted under /boot, but it has to be it's own filesystem.
This has to be formatted using vfat. Everything else can be ext, xfs, or a few options,
Even /boot can be a Linux filesystem, but /boot/efi cannot.".
So: not ´ext4´ or Fat32 ?

After all that: the ´home´ partition, all the free available space on drive, I think.
As last partition ?
File-format ? ´ext4´ ?
(This should it be.)
Once installed it is not runable on other hardware, I think ? Just to ask it, please.

After figuring it out, with Your helps, it will last a week or so. I will report.
(The datas, the partitions, still as notes on paper.)

Last edited:
I found @atanere 's results interesting. So I did some research. I created a USB drive with a single partition of Linux.
No separate biosboot or efi partition. I was able to get this to work on a very old legacy BIOS system. But I couldn't
get any of my newer computers to boot from this. Most said "missing operating system". Even though it wasn't missing,
and actually booted on one system. I also tried this on some VirtualBox VMs, by default VirtualBox likes you to use
Legacy BIOS, but all you have to do is click a box if you want to use EFI. I tried it both ways, but I could not get it to find
an OS without a /biosboot or EFI partition. Some then, why does it work on some, and not others?

Here is what chatGPT had to say about it.
The necessity of a separate /boot/efi or /boot partition for Linux can vary depending on several factors, including your system's architecture, bootloader, and how you want to set up your system.

1. UEFI vs. BIOS: If your computer uses UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) for booting, you will typically need a separate EFI System Partition (ESP) mounted at /boot/efi for Linux. The ESP contains the bootloader and boot files for the operating system. If your system uses the older BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) for booting, a separate /boot partition is often not required, as the bootloader can be installed in the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the primary drive.
  2. Distribution and Setup: Different Linux distributions may have different requirements or recommendations regarding the use of a separate /boot or /boot/efi partition. Some distributions, like Ubuntu, may create a separate /boot partition by default, while others may not.
  3. Complex Disk Layouts: If you're setting up a dual-boot system with multiple operating systems or using disk encryption, a separate /boot or /boot/efi partition can simplify the configuration and ensure that the bootloader and kernel are accessible.
  4. Bootloader Choice: The choice of bootloader also matters. GRUB and systemd-boot, for example, can work with either UEFI or BIOS, while some bootloaders may have specific requirements.
In summary, whether you need a separate /boot/efi or /boot partition for Linux depends on your system's firmware (UEFI or BIOS), your distribution's defaults or recommendations, and your specific use case. If you're unsure, it's a good idea to consult your distribution's documentation or seek advice in relevant Linux forums or communities.

The /biosboot partition is not a standard or common partition in Linux setups. It may not be required for typical Linux installations.

The /biosboot directory could be used in specific cases or for specific setups, but it is not a standard part of Linux filesystem organization. More commonly, when dealing with BIOS-based systems, the bootloader and boot files are often placed in the Master Boot Record (MBR) of the primary drive, or they can be placed in a separate /boot partition.

If you encounter a reference to a /biosboot partition, it might be specific to a particular system or configuration. In general, for BIOS-based systems, you would typically use a separate /boot partition or store the bootloader in the MBR. The specific setup can vary depending on your distribution and your system's requirements.

Hmmm... this does slightly disagree with Redhat and SuSE.

You need to create a BIOS Boot (biosboot) partition to install on a BIOS system where the disk containing the boot loader uses GPT. The biosboot partition should be 1 MiB in size. However, you do not need the biosboot partition if the disk containing the boot loader uses MBR. Only GPT is allowed on UEFI systems.

So maybe it's not required for Mint after all. But it's required for Redhat/CentOS, Oracle, Scientific, Rocky, Alma, and Fedora.

Here is what SuSE had to say about it.

When a system is using the older "BIOS" (NOT UEFI [1]) but the disks are configured with a GPT (GUID Partition Table) disk label, an additional partition is required for GRUB2 to operate correctly. A partition with the type "bios_boot" or "BIOS boot" or "bios_grub" is required.

... so it wasn't my intention to add confusion here, but it seems it is confusing anyway.

Last edited:
It sure is confusing... and evolving... ever since UEFI was required on PC's starting with Windows 8.0 in 2012. (UEFI actually started appearing in BIOS at the end of the Windows 7 era, but it wasn't required at that time. Macs got EFI/UEFI even earlier.) My Dell XPS desktop is just under 2 years old, with UEFI enabled but Secure Boot disabled. I suspected that my Dell may be better able to handle some of the "evolution" of boot sequences, which is why I included the caveat, "It's possible that it won't work on other brands of computers, or those with different BIOS setups."

Another very noticeable difference is that I do not need to install Windows first when setting up dual boot, whereas that is the standard instruction to most people. My Dell doesn't care what order I install operating systems (on 3 internal drives) and any OS can be moved around in the BIOS boot order.

But you've got my interest up some more too, and I'll try a few other distros/experiments later today.

Last edited:
I found @atanere 's results interesting. So I did some research. I created a USB drive with a single partition of Linux.
No separate biosboot or efi partition. I was able to get this to work on a very old legacy BIOS system. But I couldn't
get any of my newer computers to boot from this. Most said "missing operating system". Even though it wasn't missing,
and actually booted on one system. I also tried this on some VirtualBox VMs, by default VirtualBox likes you to use
Legacy BIOS, but all you have to do is click a box if you want to use EFI. I tried it both ways, but I could not get it to find
an OS without a /biosboot or EFI partition. Some then, why does it work on some, and not others?

... so it wasn't my intention to add confusion here, but it seems it is confusing anyway.
All well, for me.
ChatGPT makes me fear, despite kindly wording.
But does a good ´explaining´, partly.

My very thoughts can only stay at the BIOS settings touched in, to UEFI. This requires - and is brought with, with Win installation - a GPT-partition.
Setting to EFI the GPT-partition needs be changed.
(This here seems to be known, sorry, just saying it.)
So, putting it to an other hardware, the UEFI - or/and Legacy - there also needs to be switched to EFI. Perhaps even for to work in VM. (But VMs I just prepare to get in touch with first.)
(Sorry, this clear is done by creating a Linux partition.)
Perhaps a ´//boot´ partition - with or without: and a ´/home´ partition - could help there, I could imagine. But sticks sometimes just bring me to despair.

"You need to create a BIOS Boot (biosboot) partition to install on a BIOS system where the disk containing the boot loader uses GPT. The biosboot partition should be 1 MiB in size. However, you do not need the biosboot partition if the disk containing the boot loader uses MBR. Only GPT is allowed on UEFI systems.":
When the "disk containing the boot loader uses GPT", then the partition is a GPT partition.
When the GPT partiton is gone, this boot-loader is gone with, I only can imagine.
And if "boot loader uses MBR": sorry, this sounds to me as just some nonsense.
If FAT32, then it is no GPT (partition), and no "containing the boot loader uses GPT".
GPT only working with BIOS setting UEFI says: if setted to EFI, the GPT partition will not - can not - work.

(Please, correct or confirm, thanks.
Also the following: )
When keeping the GPT partition - for example for Windows - and in BIOS is setted to EFI, for a second OS (for example Linux) installed running (this only ´as´ EFI): THEN the EFI bootloader is necessary therefor ?
(For me GPT partition is not a topic, the first I got was immediatly changed; what I did not know is, the connection to the BIOS setting then EFI, too: I use FAT32, for XP since many years and works all well.
Whether win10 for example is to install there, win10 just is for to try a few things, after receiving it with a laptop, but is no must.)
Ah, perhaps this note still: Knoppix 7.6 - Knoppix 9.1 first on stick, as DVD copy - installing only uses 2 partitions: Swap and what (KNOPPIX, comparable to ´/home´) ? Oops, sorry.
The stick (the DVD copy) is FAT32, on this laptop (win10 running) with UEFI setted, but now also changed. But, sorry, I am not sure, if I do remind this now very correctly.

Last edited:
"var these days. Sometimes If I have a lot of VirtualBox VMs, I make it 20GB.":
´/var´ partition for VM ? Wow.

Last edited:
This imagining now:
When Knoppix (installed) works without EFI (/boot-efi) partition, while BIOS-setting UEFI is disabled, it should/could work for Linux mint also ?
(But I am not sure, whether Knoppix does not install something for EFI, as file - as loader or so - for example.)
Or when UEFI is setted in BIOS, it (Knoppix, Linux Mint) needs an UEFI loader or so ? But without requiring a partiton for this ?
(Sorry.)

(Some off-topic, but from interesst with, perhaps:
XP installed I can put in to other hardware. Despite there is said, the different chipsets makes a trouble, a (the) blue screen, error ´...7b´.
But after longer search (in internet), there was/is the trouble, whether AHCI in BIOS is setted or not. Special for SCSI or/and SSD dirves.
Setted to AHCI, XP did boot and installed automatically the most now there needed drivers. Sorry, not confusioning meant. And, sorry, (if) this dis-placed now so here.)

Members online