[Solved] Linux Mint Mate 21.2 Partitions, BIOS settings

I don't think I can help you to install Knoppix
Instead of ´install´ - because of it is not a real install - the DVD-version to USB-stick just select the HD.
I will find out, whether in 9.3 is a CD-version in, and with or without VM.
DELUG-DVD
Please, what is DELUG ?
OK, found it: (DELUG = Deutsche Linux User Group)
version 9.3, but no download links that I saw

Here in german an intro, where the including CD-version is mentioned https://knoppix-intro.de/neu-knoppix-9-3/.

(The drive for VM better hd-partition or virtual, thanks ?)

Thank You the info QEMU in the DVD-version.
But also for to install - for example - Linux Mint Mate into the VM I will need to install Knoppix 9.3 onto harddrive, not just the DVD-version onto HD.

Perhaps for to handle QEMU or KVM here already exists a contribution.

Here in german an intro, where the including CD-version is mentioned https://knoppix-intro.de/neu-knoppix-9-3/.
I don't read that mention as saying that a new CD-version is available... it says:
In particular, the following new or less known features are presented, which are possible in version 9.x:
Virtual camera with OSB studio
Screen transfer with Miracast
Mini version of Knoppix suitable for CD-ROM
Remasters with flash-knoppix
and in a separate section then some details about the topic
UEFI with or without Secure Boot
presented in context.
Phrases like "features... which are possible in version 9.x" and "suitable for CD-ROM"... do not indicate to me that Klaus (or anyone else) has actually produced such a smaller CD-version for 9.3 series. Maybe it will come in 9.4, or later, maybe when it is next released to the general public and not just in Linux Magazin. If you want the smaller size CD-version, you'll have to use 9.1 it seems.

That's a good find on that ISO.... it was only posted on archive.org about a month ago! But it took a very long time to download, about 2 or 3 hours at only KB/sec speeds. I did not find any MD5 or SHA256 checksums, but my download copy seems to be okay. I'll put my checksums in this spoiler if anyone wants to compare.
MD5:
efb0e1c6bccda6eae50874481308b6f4

SHA256:
52115fb3f39a221cebb38a6a0c40141cf875c2f4d1d00ebab6f89283b99819e0

Although Knoppix 9.3 is a German-language only version... it can still be run with English, if anyone is interested. The trick to use English is at the boot menu, enter this cheatcode: knoppix lang=us. Sounds easy, but you have to find the "=" key (because you're defaulted at the boot menu to a German keyboard layout). For me, Shift + 0 (Shift + zero) printed out an "=" sign and Knoppix ran in English... and I'm pretty sure it loads a US keyboard when booting with this cheatcode too. Maybe other languages will also work with the correct two-letter code. Knoppix 9.3 seems as nice as all the previous versions. And it runs very quickly in live mode (which I booted in VirtualBox... not installed).

But also for to install - for example - Linux Mint Mate into the VM I will need to install Knoppix 9.3 onto harddrive, not just the DVD-version onto HD.

Perhaps for to handle QEMU or KVM here already exists a contribution.
That's what you will have to find out... either by installing and learning by trial and error... or by finding more info on Google search...or maybe someone else here will have more advice for you. I'm at the limit of my Knoppix knowledge. And I have no knowledge of QEMU/KVM.

When you boot on Knoppix 9.3, click on its Menu button, then the Knoppix category, then see "Install KNOPPIX to flash disk".... that looks like it will install Knoppix to your SSD. But that's where I jump out. You will have to take the plunge yourself.

Last edited:
And it runs very quickly in live mode
Also on stick.
KNOPPIX to flash disk".... that looks like it will install Knoppix to your SSD
Yes. When the choice - later possible - to the HD is done.
(But this is not comparable to the usual installation on HD.)

"Mini version of Knoppix suitable for CD-ROM":
I do understand "suitable", the 9.3. But not important for me now, from for VM needing/wanting now.

Thanks very much the exchange and the contact. All the best.

Last edited:
Thank You.
I did read Your recommandations, MATE is named there, MATE is - this time my second version of Linux I am looking at, and planning to install in VM of Knoppix.
(Knoppix - in the meanwhile - I am very well able to handle the installation onto HD.)

MX Linux someone also recommends here https://www.linux.org/threads/angry-at-the-whole-computing-industry.21975/#post-79948, makes me curious.

Sadnessly KVM (VM) in Knoppix - or VirtualBox, but not pre-installed in Knoppix as it appears - here is no contribution to find ?
(In XP - sadnessly 32 Bit - VirtualBox seems very easy, but seen from just one try.)

As I mentioned there... that thread is now about 5 years old. MX Linux is now at version 23. It has been at the top of the DistroWatch list for quite awhile now because it is a solid distro and very popular. If you want to experiment and learn beyond Knoppix and Linux Mint MATE.... MX Linux would be a good choice to look at. But there are many MANY other good distros too. The more you try, the better.

Sadnessly KVM (VM) in Knoppix - or VirtualBox, but not pre-installed in Knoppix as it appears - here is no contribution to find ?
Knoppix may not be the best distro to use as a virtual host... since it is not even designed to be a fully installed operating system. This is the trial and error part for you if you can't find other instructions on the web. Maybe you can make it work as you think it should. Or maybe you will spend a lot of time on it and fail... but you will learn even if you fail.

Linux can do a lot of things, but it can't do everything. There are hundreds of different Linux distros, all with their own idea of how a distro should work, how it should look and feel... and what it should accomplish. There may be a better distro to install to be your virtual host than Knoppix. Linux Mint MATE and MX Linux can both serve as a virtual host, if you have enough RAM and resources. You could then run Knoppix as a virtual guest.

(In XP - sadnessly 32 Bit - VirtualBox seems very easy, but seen from just one try.)
You could also run Windows XP as a virtual guest....
Or any other version of Windows or Linux that your hardware will support.

You can use Windows as your virtual host, if you prefer... but not XP. At least Windows 7, and Win 10 would be better as a virtual host.

The more you try, the better
Time and energy is limited all in all.

Knoppix may not be the best distro to use as a virtual host... since it is not even designed to be a fully installed operating system.
OK. Here I did find now at last once an explanation of this claim: http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/25...0d153d0e82e559&p=110586&viewfull=1#post110586

OK. Now, I think, I have an idea of this tricky announcment: "Not meant for HD-installation".
Now I also may understand, why I do not may expect more comfort (for) to have to fulfill the preconditions the manual prepared required 2 partitions with 2 different file-systems ..., for the HD-installation ... Wouh !
And in the same breath said: "Do not expect, everything (installed on HD) works as the live version". Wouh !
(Since more than 10 years of very been wondering this all.
Thanks, this exchange, this now may find for recognizing this at last.)

There may be a better distro to install to be your virtual host than Knoppix. Linux Mint MATE and MX Linux can both serve as a virtual host, if you have enough RAM and resources. You could then run Knoppix as a virtual guest
OK. That´s an idea. Thanks.

But let´s see: The more challenge begins already with the download - which for what - and the first further steps to install ...

You can use Windows as your virtual host, if you prefer... but not XP. At least Windows 7, and Win 10 would be better as a virtual host.
My tries - Win 7 and Win 10 - only install VirtualBox already fails, all with the same error message.
XP (SP3) does not make this trouble. (With the correct version for XP.)
But the 32 Bit XP makes a CPU- and BIOS-feature necessary (for 64 Bit guest OSs), which will not be needed extra-ordinary, if having XP (SP3) 64 Bit, which I just missed to understand - at starting with XP the years ago - the now necessary - precise - way.
As I understand so far for now (the CPU- and BIOS-feature) ..., maybe: yet wrong.

Last edited:
Time and energy is limited all in all.
True for me too.... for all of us. ;)

OK. Here I did find now at last once an explanation of this claim: http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/25...0d153d0e82e559&p=110586&viewfull=1#post110586
You have to be careful reading old material... that thread is from 2007... 17 years ago (Knoppix 5.1)! Yet this has always been true of Knoppix... it was always designed to be used from live CD/USB. So, in this case, although the comments were very old, they are still accurate (as far as I know).

But let´s see: The more challenge begins already with the download - which for what - and the first further steps to install ...
I recommend that you start a new thread to ask for installation help for whatever distro you want to actually install on your computer. Pick one, Knoppix, Mint, MX, or other... but just PICK ONE and ask for help installing it. Your attempt with Mint MATE did not finish properly before, so you might try that again, but you can change your mind to try another too. Let Linux use the entire disk when you install it... do not try dual booting or virtual machines until you get more experience. Pick one Linux, and make it work!

This thread (regarding setting specific partitions) is no longer really needed if you will follow the standard advice and let Linux Mint (or other Linux) set up your partitions for you instead of trying to do it yourself. Do not think you are smarter than the people who make each Linux distro! Let any distro install the way the developers intended (different distros do partitions differently) . If you don't like the way they do partitions (or any other details of their distro).... then delete it and try another until you find those that you are comfortable with.

An example title of a new topic might be, "Help installing Linux Mint MATE on (brand & model of computer)" in the Getting Started Forum. I don't see where you have told us (in this thread) what brand/model of computer you are using, and how much RAM you have. Knowing these details helps us to help you, but I may have missed them, or I've forgotten.

You can probably expect more help for Linux Mint than for Knoppix... simply because many more people actually use Mint. And few people, very few, will have actually tried to "install" Knoppix. Most of us use Knoppix on live CD/USB as intended, so other people may not be any more helpful than I can be. Maybe someone will know more, but they haven't jumped in here yet! But if you're going to "install" Knoppix, I would do it the way Klaus Knopper intended (using the tool he includes with Knoppix to "install to flash drive"). If that type of installation does not work for you, then find another distro. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Knoppix "installation tool" will only put the "live version" onto a hard drive for you... so it is still not a "full installation" as you get with other distros. If you want or need a "full installation" (for future virtual machines or other reasons)... Knoppix is probably not your best choice.

Your attempt with Mint MATE did not finish properly before
What do I miss ?
(Your question was about install on EFI BIOS setted ?
I did find during install the warning - something similar saying as - "not tecommended on EFI, on own risk". Did it and worked.
Knoppix I am able to install, and install PaleMoon and XP Wordpad (into) WINE. And from stick as (the) DVD-version.
Linux Mint Mate did work to install (on EFI).
A neighbour´s laptop - since months - he is it running just for online TV, and Youtube, and some browsing the internet - all well.)
This thread (regarding setting specific partitions) is no longer really needed if you will follow the standard advice and let Linux Mint (or other Linux) set up your partitions for you instead of trying to do it yourself
Yes. OK.
(Knoppix there seems to be an exception, which did it make difficult to me, to get in touch already only to, because of two partitions required prepaired to be able to install. Yes sorry, I am realizing the (some) reasons why Knoppix is not recommended to install on HD.)
what brand/model of computer you are using
A laptop - (about from 2010) - 1,6 GHz, but all well. (Real Installed (7.6., not the Flash-(DVD-)version).)
And on PC board - about 2010, about 2,8 GHz - the stick (the Flash-version) with 9.3 all well.
(The Linux Mint Mate - the Flash AND live version (all in one) from stick - on Laptop and on PC, on first partition from two.
The bootloader for the second partition would have been another challenge, if I would continue this way. But don´t because of an other plan, just figuriing out these days.)
(RAM both (laptop, PC) 4 GB, only.)
"Help installing Linux Mint MATE on (brand & model of computer)"
I would prefer without brand and model ..., this can be added within the exchange, if somebody at all has a special trouble with a special brand or model.
´MX Linux install and Virtual Machine´ or/and ´Virtual Machine in Linux Mint Mate´.
(But both - at the same time now - currently just overhelms me.)

the Knoppix "installation tool" will only put the "live version" onto a hard drive
No, The "install to flash drive" does THIS. To HD with the choice ´To HD´ also possible, then this but as the DVD-version.
(The "installation tool" does the real installing on HD.
But requires 2 partitions already before manual prepared, with 2 different file-systems.)

Knoppix is probably not your best choice
I take this advice and I am planning now Knoppix for into VM in Linux Mint Mate. Thanks.

Last edited:
atanere said:
This thread (regarding setting specific partitions) is no longer really needed if you will follow the standard advice and let Linux Mint (or other Linux) set up your partitions for you instead of trying to do it yourself.
What at all leaded to this thread by me is the experience of the manual to have to prepare the required partitions for to install Knoppix.

This did mislead me to the mis-understanding of this, that every Linux does need to have to be installed this - or a similar - way. (And I just did not still expect at all, it - this - could be very easier really.)

Just to explain why - what from - I have been misleaded.
But thanks this exchange and help here now I could figure out, that this is not the case.
Great.

Last edited:
Your attempt with Mint MATE did not finish properly before
Please, sorry, what do You mean ? What now is still not finish in Your eyes ? Or is it now ? Thank You.
(I will add a note to my start-post here, to, that Linux Mint Mate has an install-manager, which does not require these from me thought needed manual preparing partitions.)

But there are many MANY other good distros too. The more you try, the better.
I did read these days, there are about 500 Linux versions.

Now - after rethinking my basically needs of an OS -, I remind this, what for XP I did need some years of research:
a version of Linux installed - not as Live - have to change the hardware (board and so on), but the needed drivers the hardware just possible to install within this installed version.
(With XP now works, but there was said it is about the chipsets the drivers, which did a trouble the drivers, but in the end it is about the setting in BIOS whether SATA or IDE or a combined - do not remind the name - setting has to be done to avoid the blue-screen error ...7b.)

But I really can imagine, that in a PERHAPS ´already´ existing list of this all 500 Linux versions, there must not be mentioned with, which versions does - all - what and what not, for example now: just reinstalling the - for the new hardware - needed drivers.

Please, sorry, what do You mean ? What now is still not finish in Your eyes ? Or is it now ? Thank You.
Yes, I have nothing further. I was confused by MATE telling you, "not recommended on EFI, on own risk". Yet it worked for you, so I guess all is good. All versions of Linux Mint work fine on either MBR or UEFI.

But I really can imagine, that in a PERHAPS ´already´ existing list of this all 500 Linux versions, there must not be mentioned with, which versions does - all - what and what not, for example now: just reinstalling the - for the new hardware - needed drivers.
There is no version that does all. That's a feature, not a bug. ;)

People have different tastes in cars, food, clothing... people also have different tastes in what makes a good operating system on their computer... what feels comfortable to them. Some like the look of Windows and try to emulate that. Some like the look of Mac OS and try to emulate that. Some want to look very distinctly different from everyone else. Linux provides all of that.

There is no version that does all
This - so far - is clear.
When for this feature - where the life versions do this just with, having the most posible needed drivers with, at least a standard driver - exists a - or some - Linux version(s), which save(s) those drivers already with, at installation, and with changing the hardware, these drivers will be - can be - re-installed, this would be my favourite Linux.
So I can do system-image, and if the hardware needs to be changed, I just can change the drive to the new hardware ...

When for this feature - where the life versions do this just with, having the most posible needed drivers with, at least a standard driver - exists a - or some - Linux version(s), which save(s) those drivers already with, at installation, and with changing the hardware, these drivers will be - can be - re-installed, this would be my favourite Linux.

Just about every distro does this. I would divide Linux distro's into two types.
LTS or long term. ... and "rolling". LTS distro's don't get updated as often. That can be better for some situations.
Rolling distro's typically get updated every week. That means new kernels and new drivers every week. A few distro's
are somewhere in the middle. When a Linux system does updates, it's a lot like Windows updates. It just puts newer drivers on your OS. You don't have to re-install everything.

As a whole Linux is pretty good about automatically knowing what kind of hardware you have, and automatically installing whatever you need. There are two well known exceptions to that. Some wifi wireless chips don't play well with a distro's of Linux out of the box. The other big one is Nvidia video cards, these require proprietary drivers that you have enable some 3rd party repos in order to use. Other than those two, you typically don't have to deal with anything.

are somewhere in the middle. When a Linux system does updates, it's a lot like Windows updates. It just puts newer drivers on your OS. You don't have to re-install everything
these require proprietary drivers that you have enable some 3rd party repos in order to use
I think, I mean something else:
let me try to begin to explain from my XP experiences.

Installing installs the ´only´ needed drivers, chipset and so on.
Graphics, sound: if only possible, a standard driver, which makes graphic and sound work, but not in its full capacities, therefor the manufacturer´s drivers are necessary, to - download and - install manually.

The same way do the Linux versions install.

Now - with one this example: chipsets in the main, but not only - I could experience by changing a board - so: harddrive to another board - this - different chipsets - drivers (and others) could be reinstalled, without having to use the install-CD (again with) at all.
(Graphics, sound, if not having a good origin one (from alrady in XP in with), a standard one.)

I did once try this with a Knoppix version, which just did not work.
(Sorry, I slowly realize, that Knoppix is not meant to be installed this way. despite it is possible.)

When a Linux version would be able to recognize the NOW different hardware, and would offer - at least - to use the install -CD (/DVD) to reinstall the now needed drivers, that already would be OK. to me.

With hope, now this is better understandable. Thank You.

Last edited:
Now - with one this example: chipsets in the main, but not only - I could experience by changing a board - so: harddrive to another board - this - different chipsets - drivers (and others) could be reinstalled, without having to use the install-CD (again with) at all.
(Graphics, sound, if not having a good origin one (from alrady in XP in with), a standard one.)

I did once try this with a Knoppix version, which just did not work.
(Sorry, I slowly realize, that Knoppix is not meant to be installed this way. despite it is possible.)

So there is what I would call optimized, and non-optimized.
Linux uses something called initramfs ( it's named slightly different for some distro's ). This is where
things like device names, UUID's, drivers, and partition info is stored. This can be embedded into the kernel
or... more often it's a separate file.

Initramfs can be updated or customized using commands like update-initramfs or mkinitramfs.

If you move your hard drive from one computer to another, you may need to re-create your initramfs because the initramfs contains some information that is specific to the hardware configuration of the original computer, such as the device names, UUIDs, drivers, and modules. If the hardware configuration of the new computer is different, the initramfs may not be able to find or mount the real root filesystem, or load the necessary drivers or modules, resulting in boot failure or errors. Therefore, it is recommended to re-create the initramfs after moving the hard drive to a new computer, using commands like update-initramfs or dracut. You can do this from a live CD or USB, or from a rescue mode, by chrooting into the root filesystem of the hard drive and running the commands.

There are circumstances where this won't work. For example putting a 64-bit version of Linux on a 32-bit system.
Or putting a disk that boots from a efi partition on a legacy BIOS system.

Last edited:
So there is what I would call optimized, and non-optimized.
Linux uses something called initramfs ( it's named slightly different for some distro's ). This is where
things like device names, UUID's, drivers, and partition info is stored. This can be embedded into the kernel
or... more often it's a separate file.

Initramfs can be updated or customized using commands like update-initramfs or mkinitramfs.
Hm. Thanks. Not so elegant ..., sorry.
All in all - to may stay easy -, as I know from XP - just at boot, or fast short after - the ´new´ hardware automatically is recognized and being installed.
(Some BIOS settings, as EFI (as only standard BEFORE UEFI) or UEFI, or/and the drives (IDE, SATA, or both) settings preconditioned.)

I imagine an other possiblity:
as an upgrade equal possible, without the loss of the settings and programs already being in the old version - if so -, after the change of the hardware just install the same version over the old one. similar as a new installation. But without having to format the partition, because file-system and partiton already still exists.
Just an idea, please.

There are circumstances where this won't work. For example putting a 64-bit version of Linux on a 32-bit system.
Or putting a disk that boots from a efi partition on a legacy BIOS system.
Just to mention this still, please:
The most CPUs since about 2004 are 64 Bit. (Which works also with for 32 Bit systems.)

´EFI´ - in opposite to UEFI - IS ´legacy BIOS´.
(Through that both settings - if available (UEFI) at all - needs to be done in the BIOS, there is no non-BIOS UEFI, despite of in the representations - what ever for with which intentions - it is said so, that UEFI would not (no more) be (called) BIOS, more specifically "there is no more ´such a thing´ as the BIOS" ...)
In older BIOSs - which is just EFI, but without extra labeled, because of there is not to switch to anything else there - so, there is no UEFI.
First in newer BIOSs it is possible to switch between EFI or UEFI.
(But both are (the) BIOS still. Correct ? Sorry, saying it twice.)

I think I have to open a new topic ´which installed Linux has all the mainboard drivers with available, as they are in a life Linux version with, or which are in the install version ?´
But This title is much too long:
So: ´HD with installed Linux EASY to change (with which Linux version) to other mainboard´, is currently the best shortest, I think.
Doable this way ? Thank You.

Last edited:
First in newer BIOSs it is possible to switch between EFI or UEFI.

Not on the newest boards I have bought ( both in 2024 ). They are strictly UEFI only.
I do have some older motherboards that support both.
In older BIOSs - which is just EFI, but without extra labeled, because of there is not to switch to anything else there

No, they really are different things, which require different boot partitions.

Members online

No members online now.