[SOLVED] I've added double-spacing to my date and time by accident?!

electric

Reaction score
Credits
Hello to whoever has the time to offer some advice to me, and thanks in advance.

I think, and I'm starting to gaslight myself somewhat, before I tried to install Kubuntu there was no double-spacing on my date. Like so:

1646147371376.png

This also affects my start screen, but I'm not sure how to screenshot that just yet.

The double-spacing is driving me absolutely crazy. I don't believe I'm actually running Kubuntu, but I did try to install it using apt-get in the terminal from Ubuntu. I wanted to select it on the start screen, but when I clicked the little cog I didn't actually see the option.

If anybody has any guidance for me, I'd be ecstatic to hear it. I can't believe I am so bothered by this double spacing, but I think I might lose my mind.

Thanks in advance to anybody who decides to help me.

Hello @electric,
Welcome to the forum.
When you tried to install kde what was it you installed? You need to install kde-plasma-desktop That will install the desktop itself then you would have to install other components that you want. Or you can install kde-full for the full Kde with all the kde apps.
However that being said. KDE and Ubuntu- Gnome to not always play well together and you will find some inter action between the two. If you just want to try KDE why not download Kubuntu and try it from live usb.

As far as the double space goes not able to help there because if the full kde is not installed then your still running gnome and you changed something in it that has caused the problem.

ASSUMING that it's not a theme thing, artifact of multiple desktops involved...

Can you right click on it? If so, look for properties, then look for something called 'custom settings', and remove the spaces. It should be %H:%M - with no spaces.

Hello @electric,
Welcome to the forum.
When you tried to install kde what was it you installed? You need to install kde-plasma-desktop That will install the desktop itself then you would have to install other components that you want. Or you can install kde-full for the full Kde with all the kde apps.
However that being said. KDE and Ubuntu- Gnome to not always play well together and you will find some inter action between the two. If you just want to try KDE why not download Kubuntu and try it from live usb.

As far as the double space goes not able to help there because if the full kde is not installed then your still running gnome and you changed something in it that has caused the problem.
Thanks for the guidance.

I don't have access to a live USB right now, otherwise I'd happily do so. I think I'll also do so at my earliest convenience.

I installed via the sudo apt-get install kubuntu (I believe). I do have some extra apps like Konsole and Spectacle, which I assumed was down to that, but visually I am mainly suffering from this pained double space.

I have begun to see it everywhere. It is now in my battery life, and I think even in my battery percentage, which I also suspect didn't have a space before. I have no idea what I have done, but it is undoing me. : (

ASSUMING that it's not a theme thing, artifact of multiple desktops involved...

Can you right click on it? If so, look for properties, then look for something called 'custom settings', and remove the spaces. It should be %H:%M - with no spaces.

I can't seem to do that. Do you know if this is a file I can access?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-03-02 07-31-08.png
    Screenshot from 2022-03-02 07-31-08.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 149
also electric, i just want to let you know that sometimes i feel gaslighted by my computers as well...computers do act on their own sometimes, which i guess is scary :p Especially conflabbit smart phones with their moisture activated screens!

Hello to whoever has the time to offer some advice to me, and thanks in advance.

I think, and I'm starting to gaslight myself somewhat, before I tried to install Kubuntu there was no double-spacing on my date. Like so:

View attachment 11935

This also affects my start screen, but I'm not sure how to screenshot that just yet.

The double-spacing is driving me absolutely crazy. I don't believe I'm actually running Kubuntu, but I did try to install it using apt-get in the terminal from Ubuntu. I wanted to select it on the start screen, but when I clicked the little cog I didn't actually see the option.

If anybody has any guidance for me, I'd be ecstatic to hear it. I can't believe I am so bothered by this double spacing, but I think I might lose my mind.

Thanks in advance to anybody who decides to help me.
I gave in and reinstalled. Thanks for all the help anyway, but I thought I was gonna die and kept trying to fix it to no avail.

On that note, reinstalling is sometimes the best way to fix things.

It's as though some folks have a reinstalling phobia. They'll spend 12 hours trying to fix something when they could have reinstalled and restored from backups in under an hour.

Members online