[SOLVED] Install .deb with all dependencies

banderas20

Reaction score
Credits
Hi.

I'm trying to install a .deb package in Ubuntu 20.04.
Code:
sudo dpkg -i remarkable_1.87_all.deb

I have dependency problems:

Code:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of remarkable:

I have read that this can be solved with
Code:
sudo apt-get -f install
, but the only thing I get is this:

Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra gstreamer1.0-vaapi
  libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0 libva-wayland2
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  remarkable
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 397 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

I am stuck. Can you help me?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Try
Code:
sudo apt-get install -f
If that does not work (and I take it your distro is ubuntu-derived) try
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get install build-essential
then
Code:
apt-get build-dep (program name) && apt-get install (program name)
in the order given.

NOTE: put sudo in front of commands if not root, like the first example

If you’re trying to install a standalone .deb package that you’ve downloaded from somewhere, install it via apt.

Bash:
sudo apt install /path/to/package.deb
Where /path/to/package.deb is the path to the .deb file you’re trying to install.

The reason you should use apt is because it will resolve and install any additional/missing dependencies.
Whereas dpkg will only attempt to install and configure the package, without attempting to resolve dependency issues.

The reason you should use apt is because it will resolve and install any additional/missing dependencies.

That's one of those things that people don't seem to have picked up on. This has been possible for years and I use it on my site all the time - because it does deal with dependencies. But, somehow, it has escaped notice by so many people.

That one kinda puzzles me. It's somehow kinda obscure. I see current articles suggesting folks use the dpkg method and then fixing the install.

EDITED - My mistake, the below does not work, I am dealing with it further on in the Thread as to how you can install it.
Wizard

G'day @banderas20 , g'day all. :)

You could also use gdebi, which I use periodically. It is a front-end to dpkg but with the extra functionality of searching for and installing dependencies.

Gdebi is not installed by default with Ubuntu but is in the Repos

Code:
sudo apt -y install gdebi

The reMarkable people themselves mention it as a solution here

https://remarkablewiki.com/tips/client

If you read that, focus on the parts that begin with

Debian based systems​

For Debian based systems (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, …), an unofficial deb package is available that will automatically install all necessary dependencies. (Note: it turns out that two dependencies are missing: libkf5archive5 and libqt5xml5. The code block below have been updated to fix this.

They are likely the dependencies you are missing.

In the code block, you already have the .deb so you could skip the line beginning with curl.

Gdebi also has a bonus GUI side to it, whereby you can right-click a .deb in your File Manager and use it.

I would take a Timeshift snapshot before installing in case you need to roll back.

HTH

Wizard

Last edited:
Gdebi also has a bonus GUI side to it, whereby you can right-click a .deb in your File Manager and use it.

Kinda off-topic, but kinda on-topic? Let's say, 'tangentially related' and hope for the best.

I haven't written an article about it yet, but it's on my list.

There's a new 'modern interpretation' of GDebi. It's Qapt and appears to be built-in with Qt.

AmXRqPz.png

This user won't have that available, but could install it. It'll pull in some Qt dependencies, but under 8 mb worth of said dependencies. It's a part of 'qapt-utils'. It's a default application in Lubuntu. Heck, it doesn't even show up under the application menu, it's just noticeable in the contextual right-click menu.

It's effectively GDebi, but just built-in.

Anyhow, y'all can head back to your regularly scheduled thread. I just figured I'd add it to the list and share the knowledge. It's actually a whole collection of tools for apt, but I've not yet dug that deep.

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the replies.

I know I have several options, but I want to try to solve it installing it from a local .deb file.
I didn't know I could use apt install for that purposes. Good to know!

However, @JasKinasis, @KGIII, if I issue
sudo apt install ./remarkable_1.87_all.deb

I get this:
Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Note, selecting 'remarkable' instead of './remarkable_1.87_all.deb' Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. The following information may help to resolve the situation: The following packages have unmet dependencies: remarkable : Depends: gir1.2-webkit-3.0 but it is not installable E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

@forester, the command apt-get build-dep (program name) assumes the program is in a repo, right? I want to install it from a local file.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
your in what we used to call Dependency hell. Those dependencies are either Obsolete or too new to be included in this version of Mint's repositories. So when the installer tries to satisfy them it can not find them. Your options at this point are
1. Build the package from source code against the current install of Ubuntu. It may work and use the package available.
2. Find the dependencies else where you can search the Ubuntu package list found here.
I found the dependency file under bionic 20.04 which means that it is older and most likely discontinued. You can download it from there and try to install it first before installing remarkable. But that may lead to other out of date dependencies that are not met. You'll just have to try.
3. Another option is to downgrade your repository to 20.04 (Not Recommended) and install the program with those repositories. Again I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS METHOD.
4. Contact the Remarkable dev's and request they update their program to run on newer version of Ubuntu/Mint.
5. Downgrade your install to version 20.04 which is still supported.
6. Forget it and live without that package.
Your choice. :) That IMHO is one of the great things about linux you have choices.
P.S. there may be other choice I have not thought of :)
Oops I see now that your already using ubuntu 20.04. If you have updated to a new dot version you may still need to follow the above choices. At some point that dependency was obsoleted or updated and remarkable does not recognize the newer version. The package is not found in the update repository. so it was done away with between the release of 20.04 and 20.04.1
Still worth trying a download of it and install.

Last edited:
Hi.

From the website I found out the package:

Installing using the deb file in Ubuntu 20.04 will give you an error because of dependency issues, but it should work in 19.10 or lower. You can also find it in AUR if you’re using an Arch-based Linux distribution.

So I won't spend more time and will try another tool.

Thanks everyone!

But wait, there's more :)

I wanted to clear up some uncertainty on what the OP is trying to do?

Why?

Because we rank so highly in the search engine rankings, a search on Google for

remarkable_1.87_all.deb

and this Thread is at 4th spot (at time of writing) as Solved.

First I will deal with the confusion element

It's remarkable that there is more than one remarkable

The OP is looking for a markdown tool Remarkable is described as

an excellent Markdown editor with a plethora of features. You can use it to work with both the standard and Github-flavored Markdown language. Advanced-level formatting is also possible as the tool comes with spell checking, word count,

... and so on.

It looks like this when I install it on my Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop (GNOME)

ub51MHS.png

So I will ask of the OP @banderas20 is the above what you are looking for?

The "other" remarkable is a desktop app, which can be installed through the Snap Store, and on my Ubuntu 20.04 MATE, it looks as follows

U4YHjof.png

Now that fellow is described as follows

Desktop App for interacting with Remarkable tablets​

The reMarkable desktop application enables you to view, Screen Share, organize, import, and download files.
Once you have set up the desktop and/or mobile application your device is connected to the reMarkable cloud. All your notebooks, documents, and ebooks will be synced across your devices when connected to Wi-Fi.

and I think that is NOT what the OP is looking for, so @banderas20 if you can just confirm that for us, please?

With that last candidate, you download the snap and install it, and as part of the installation process, Wine is launched to get it running and show as it does for me on the right-hand side.

However, you need a reMarkable tablet to make use of it.

If I am correct in this, perhaps Alex @Alexzee can modify his Post at #5 to remove the Snap reference.

The Good News

is that if the OP still wants the tool, it can be installed.

Let me know, and I will deal with how on my tomorrow.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW regrets that I lead us up the garden path earlier because I trusted the reMarkable website, instead of using my Distros as a testbed. :oops:

Hi @wizardfromoz,

I'm looking for the first screenshot. That is, the Markdown editor.

How did you manage to install it?

Thanks for your reply!

PS: since it seems there's a solution, I'll unmark the thread as solved.

OK, morning all :)

For the benefit of The Viewers as well as your good self, I will explain how I found it, and then give a blow by blow on how to install it.

I'll list the links after I show you the screenshot.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS

E0JSbvw.png

My cursor sits beside the reference to this Thread, as it was then, with Solved.

The two top links form the substance of my search and I went to the second one first, that is

https://github.com/jamiemcg/Remarkable/issues/361

Have a read if you wish, but about 3/4 or more down the page is a Post by their Member seiferteric , saying

Also I repackages the deb for Ubuntu 20.04, you can find it here: https://github.com/seiferteric/remarkable_debfix

and that is the same as the top link from my search, namely

https://github.com/seiferteric/remarkable_debfix

HOW TO INSTALL IT

Below is my step by step on how to install it. If you are unclear on any steps, ask.

I took a Timeshift snapshot before I ran this, so I can roll back if something went wrong.

Lines beginning with a # are my comments, the rest are commands to follow. Note that with this method, a lowercase m is used for reMarkable, that is not a typo.

Code:
# This, to install the reMarkable markdown tool on Ubuntu 20.04
# The website https://remarkablewiki.com/tips/client says
# "Note: it turns out that two dependencies are missing: libkf5archive5 and libqt5xml5."
# Install those, along with GDebi and git (the latter to clone from github), if they are not on your system

sudo apt -y install gdebi git libkf5archive5 libqt5xml5

# Let's go to Downloads and run from there

cd Downloads

# Then

git clone https://github.com/seiferteric/remarkable_debfix.git

cd remarkable_debfix/

sudo dpkg-deb -Z xz -b old_deb remarkable_1.87_all.deb

# Output should look like

# dpkg-deb: building package 'remarkable' in 'remarkable_1.87_all.deb'.

# Following this step at seiferterics' github page comes
# "Now you should be able to install the new debian."
# I used the following

sudo gdebi remarkable_1.87_all.deb

# That is followed by output and (choose y for Yes)

# Do you want to install the software package? [y/N]:y

# Packages download and are unpacked, selected and set up. You are done.
# You can now type in, if you want to run from Terminal

remarkable

# and the GUI will run. When you close out you may find there was a non-fatal warning for the future. You can also install
# a spellcheck as instructed.

# If you wish to run it from the Desktop, you can go to Show Applications and start to type in remarkable and you will see
# the icon and can also add it to your Favorites.

The finished product, when launched, includes the Preview pane (absence of which was reported as an issue elsewhere), but I cannot assure you that all functions work, as I have no experience with this sort of tool.

REMOVAL

Finally, the following shows

Code:
chris@FocalGNOME-HDD:~$ apt policy remarkable
remarkable:
  Installed: 1.87
  Candidate: 1.87
  Version table:
 *** 1.87 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

... so you should be able to remove it with

Code:
sudo apt purge remarkable

@banderas20 let us know how you go, and if it is satisfactory, you can mark this as Solved again.

Avagudweegend

Wizard

If you’re trying to install a standalone .deb package that you’ve downloaded from somewhere, install it via apt.

Bash:
sudo apt install /path/to/package.deb
Where /path/to/package.deb is the path to the .deb file you’re trying to install.

Whereas dpkg will only attempt to install and configure the package, without attempting to resolve dependency issues.
Thanks for the tips for install this

That's great news and you are welcome.

Enjoy your Linux.

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts