Software

nVidia driver download (as above) -- be sure to study the README
I'd recommend Manjaro, since it's a gaming laptop
Keep in mind that if your distro that you install get's a new kernel you will have to install the Nvidia driver again.
There is a way around that however I think only a few of our members know how to do that.
I remember our member @f33dm3bits telling me that information.

Don't do either of these, not that their replies are not appreciated since they took the time to reply but most Linux distributions have the Nvidia drivers packages in the default repositories so all you need to do is install the Nvidia package through your package manager. Either through the GUI or through the command-line, for the latter you just open a terminal and depending on which distribution you are running you just install it.
Code:
sudo pacman -S nvidia lib32-nvidia-utils (Arch based distributions)
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-510 nvidia-utils-510 (Ubuntu, Mint,etc)
As @Alexzee mentioned installing the drivers by manually downloading them from the Nvidia website you will have to manually install the driver again for the updated kernel. There are ways around this but as I mentioned before the recommended way of install the Nvidia driver is by installing the nvidia package which is updated by the maintainers of that distribution.

Don't do either of these, . . .
Either nVidia proprietary drivers have gotten better istallation scripts and/or Linus has met nVidia halfway!
(Please update my knowledge base re: nVidia drivers in question). Can you tell me that the user no longer has to become root with all X apps closed in order to run the sh install script and get the drivers running?

PS I don't like your style of all-knowing -- a little humility may be in order > is it just me?

The way you described as to download the run file from the Nvidia website and to run that in order to install the Nvidia driver is the way of doing it how it was done back at around 2010. That or using the smxi script or another script to install the video drivers, those were the two options that were mostly used.

Now days distribution maintainers package the nvidia driver and place that in the default repositories of the distribution.

I wasn't trying to sound like know it all because I don't know everything, I was trying to make clear to OP to not use the method you and @Alexzee described because it is not the recommended way of doing things now days anymore. Because of having to reinstall the driver by rerunning the run file for each kernel update and having to explain the way around that making things unnecessarily complicated and most likely confuse the OP since they are new to Linux.
Can you tell me that the user no longer has to become root with all X apps closed in order to run the sh install script and get the drivers running?
You use your package manager to install the Nvidia package, so you don't need to close all your X applications in order to install the driver.
Code:
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-510 nvidia-utils-510
Then afterwards your reboot your system or restart X and the driver is loaded, with kernel updates the driver still works and when a new version of the driver is available is is placed in the distributions repositories by de distribution maintainers. After which you you just run a system update.
Code:
sudo apt update
The driver will be updated and then you will need to reboot your system or restart X to load the new driver.
The depending on the distribution and the package manager used by the distribution the name will vary but have something Nvidia in the package name. Also I rather keep things simple rather than complicated myself, the KISS principle.

Last edited:
IMO re-installting the driver after a kernel update is just madness.
It's better to do something correct the first time so that it doesn't have to be repeated over again.

Thanks f33dm3bits!

The way you described as to download the run file from the Nvidia website and to run that in order to install the Nvidia driver is the way of doing it how it was done back at around 2010. That or using the smxi script or another script to install the video drivers, those were the two options that were mostly used.

Now days distribution maintainers package the nvidia driver and place that in the default repositories of the distribution.

I wasn't trying to sound like know it all because I don't know everything, I was trying to make clear to OP to not use the method you and @Alexzee described because it is not the recommended way of doing things now days anymore. Because of having to reinstall the driver by rerunning the run file for each kernel update and having to explain the way around that making things unnecessarily complicated and most likely confuse the OP since they are new to Linux.

You use your package manager to install the Nvidia package, so you don't need to close all your X applications in order to install the driver.
Code:
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-510 nvidia-utils-510
Then afterwards your reboot your system or restart X and the driver is loaded, with kernel updates the driver still works and when a new version of the driver is available is is placed in the distributions repositories by de distribution maintainers. After which you you just run a system update.
Code:
sudo apt update
The driver will be updated and then you will need to reboot your system or restart X to load the new driver.
The depending on the distribution and the package manager used by the distribution the name will vary but have something Nvidia in the package name. Also I rather keep things simple rather than complicated myself, the KISS principle.
There you go! Thanks for updating my knowledge base re: nVidia drivers. Yes, after being offline 2016-2018, I have become a little dated in this, I admit. I'm glad the process is more user-friendly, nowadays!

@Alexzee -- "IMO re-installting the driver after a kernel update is just madness."

It's best to stick with the nouveau driver, then.

There you go! Thanks for updating my knowledge base re: nVidia drivers. Yes, after being offline 2016-2018, I have become a little dated in this, I admit. I'm glad the process is more user-friendly, nowadays!

@Alexzee -- "IMO re-installting the driver after a kernel update is just madness."

As long as the nouveau driver works, yes.

Not if you have an expensive Nvidia graphics card and are wanting to game with it.

Not if you have an expensive Nvidia graphics card and are wanting to game with it.
That's what I said to myself, even though the card was not near as expensive as some are today.

Even then, with people complaining about nVidia and Linus giving them the finger, I did not look upon their proprietary drivers as that difficult to install. It should be no trouble, nowadays, in comparison. So, quitcherbellyachin' ! LOL

As memory dictates (I'm too lazy to go looking):

He gave them the finger many years ago, and it was in regards to them not opening something up - some protocol/hardware feature. It wasn't in reference to difficulties installing anything, and was quite a number of years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts