So i'm writing a note-taking package for bash...!

J

Jonniosaurus

... and i just wondered if anything in the public domain has been written like that before.

I'd better explain what i mean by note taking:

the program is called "bash nut" (at least, right now it is any way); so called because I originally abbreviated note to "nt" and it made me think of Windows NT *shudder*

it's inspired by sticky notes in windows; the premise being a tool that allows you to quickly scribble notes in your shell and recall/delete them as and when you need to. Nothing fiddly:

Nut add
reads a line and add it to the current note

Nut del n
delete line number n from the current note

Nut
load the current note in the following format:

TitleOfCurrentNut.nut
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
1) do the washing up
- - -
2) do the laundry
- - -
3) take over the world
- - -
4) etc.

You get the idea. It's still in alpha, and the initial release will have support for adding and removing "nuts" (notes) etc.

It started off as a little tutorial I set myself to learn how to write bash shell scripts, but it's kind of coming into its own now.

What do people think? Is this like the 1000th note-taking package or have i written something a bit different? I ask in part so as to decide whether to polish this project and put in proper validation etc. (at the end of the day, i wont need to add filename validation etc. for my own sake!!)

OP
R

rstanley

... and i just wondered if anything in the public domain has been written like that before.

I'd better explain what i mean by note taking:

the program is called "bash nut" (at least, right now it is any way); so called because I originally abbreviated note to "nt" and it made me think of Windows NT *shudder*

it's inspired by sticky notes in windows; the premise being a tool that allows you to quickly scribble notes in your shell and recall/delete them as and when you need to. Nothing fiddly:

Nut add
reads a line and add it to the current note

Nut del n
delete line number n from the current note

Nut
load the current note in the following format:

TitleOfCurrentNut.nut
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
1) do the washing up
- - -
2) do the laundry
- - -
3) take over the world
- - -
4) etc.

You get the idea. It's still in alpha, and the initial release will have support for adding and removing "nuts" (notes) etc.

It started off as a little tutorial I set myself to learn how to write bash shell scripts, but it's kind of coming into its own now.

What do people think? Is this like the 1000th note-taking package or have i written something a bit different? I ask in part so as to decide whether to polish this project and put in proper validation etc. (at the end of the day, i wont need to add filename validation etc. for my own sake!!)
Most of the ones I have seen are just wrappers around existing editors such as the following:
http://www.blogdugas.net/?p=92

Your favorite editor would be the place to start, emacs/vi/vim/nano/etc...

I am an emacs user so I wold use the emacs org-mode, rather than try to do it in pure bash scripting.

OP
J

Jonniosaurus

My first fully finished version of this program is finished and, at least in my systems (Ubuntu and Debian), it works fine.

you can add/delete notes to/from a file (or nut as they're called). create new, delete and recall existing nuts. recall the list of nuts.

it's really intended as a super-simple, super light weight program.

all arguments:
*none* view current nut.
add
del n (where n is the list number of the note)
list (lists all the nut files)
get <name of nut file without path/extension>
-n add (add new nut file)
-n del (del existing nut file)

that's it!

I'd like for people to use it if they think it sounds helpful. Speaking as a new member of the linux community, i know very little about recommended ways to publicise small developments like this. What does the forum advise please? Am i good to post it in this thread?

OP
R

ryanvade

You may want to make a github repository. Then you can either post a link to it (after you reach the minimum number of posts to allow for posting links) or you can tell me the github username/repository name and I can post a link for you. I think you can upload a file so if you make a gzip tar file...

I am very interested in seeing your code. ;)

OP
J

Jonniosaurus

Thanks :) I'll get on it this weekend! I had a bit of a surprise yesterday. I wrote the first half via ssh in my headless debian server. then I finished it on a home computer install of ubuntu. when i copied it back to debian it didn't work! turns out ubuntu vim had set the line endings to CRLF. i had to go through and reformat them with :set fileformat=unix... odd! it's happy now.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Staff online

Members online