So i'm writing a note-taking package for bash...!

J

Jonniosaurus

... and i just wondered if anything in the public domain has been written like that before.

I'd better explain what i mean by note taking:

the program is called "bash nut" (at least, right now it is any way); so called because I originally abbreviated note to "nt" and it made me think of Windows NT *shudder*

it's inspired by sticky notes in windows; the premise being a tool that allows you to quickly scribble notes in your shell and recall/delete them as and when you need to. Nothing fiddly:

Nut add
reads a line and add it to the current note

Nut del n
delete line number n from the current note

Nut
load the current note in the following format:

TitleOfCurrentNut.nut
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
1) do the washing up
- - -
2) do the laundry
- - -
3) take over the world
- - -
4) etc.

You get the idea. It's still in alpha, and the initial release will have support for adding and removing "nuts" (notes) etc.

It started off as a little tutorial I set myself to learn how to write bash shell scripts, but it's kind of coming into its own now.

What do people think? Is this like the 1000th note-taking package or have i written something a bit different? I ask in part so as to decide whether to polish this project and put in proper validation etc. (at the end of the day, i wont need to add filename validation etc. for my own sake!!)

... and i just wondered if anything in the public domain has been written like that before.

I'd better explain what i mean by note taking:

the program is called "bash nut" (at least, right now it is any way); so called because I originally abbreviated note to "nt" and it made me think of Windows NT *shudder*

it's inspired by sticky notes in windows; the premise being a tool that allows you to quickly scribble notes in your shell and recall/delete them as and when you need to. Nothing fiddly:

Nut add
reads a line and add it to the current note

Nut del n
delete line number n from the current note

Nut
load the current note in the following format:

TitleOfCurrentNut.nut
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
1) do the washing up
- - -
2) do the laundry
- - -
3) take over the world
- - -
4) etc.

You get the idea. It's still in alpha, and the initial release will have support for adding and removing "nuts" (notes) etc.

It started off as a little tutorial I set myself to learn how to write bash shell scripts, but it's kind of coming into its own now.

What do people think? Is this like the 1000th note-taking package or have i written something a bit different? I ask in part so as to decide whether to polish this project and put in proper validation etc. (at the end of the day, i wont need to add filename validation etc. for my own sake!!)
Most of the ones I have seen are just wrappers around existing editors such as the following:
http://www.blogdugas.net/?p=92

Your favorite editor would be the place to start, emacs/vi/vim/nano/etc...

I am an emacs user so I wold use the emacs org-mode, rather than try to do it in pure bash scripting.

My first fully finished version of this program is finished and, at least in my systems (Ubuntu and Debian), it works fine.

you can add/delete notes to/from a file (or nut as they're called). create new, delete and recall existing nuts. recall the list of nuts.

it's really intended as a super-simple, super light weight program.

all arguments:
*none* view current nut.
add
del n (where n is the list number of the note)
list (lists all the nut files)
get <name of nut file without path/extension>
-n add (add new nut file)
-n del (del existing nut file)

that's it!

I'd like for people to use it if they think it sounds helpful. Speaking as a new member of the linux community, i know very little about recommended ways to publicise small developments like this. What does the forum advise please? Am i good to post it in this thread?

You may want to make a github repository. Then you can either post a link to it (after you reach the minimum number of posts to allow for posting links) or you can tell me the github username/repository name and I can post a link for you. I think you can upload a file so if you make a gzip tar file...

I am very interested in seeing your code. ;)

Thanks :) I'll get on it this weekend! I had a bit of a surprise yesterday. I wrote the first half via ssh in my headless debian server. then I finished it on a home computer install of ubuntu. when i copied it back to debian it didn't work! turns out ubuntu vim had set the line endings to CRLF. i had to go through and reformat them with :set fileformat=unix... odd! it's happy now.

Members online