Shutter: A Helpful Screenshot Program

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
Today's article is full of screenshots and details on Shutter.

Nice to see you're enjoying Shutter.

If you want to add more information or do a second article, you can map Shutter to your system's screenshot shortcuts using the command line options Shutter has. (See man shutter for details.)

Nice to see you're enjoying Shutter.

If you want to add more information or do a second article, you can map Shutter to your system's screenshot shortcuts using the command line options Shutter has. (See man shutter for details.)
Cool, thanks!

We've been using a couple of screenshot apps similar in concept to Shutter in Puppy for years.

One of these is HotShots!, which also has an in-built editor with the ability to add all sorts of arrows, pointers, annotations, text, etc. The other is the KDE Project's KSnip......one of the very small number of apps from the Project that doesn't seem to require integration with the entire contents of the Plasma desktop in order to function.

I found this in AppImage format a while back. It wasn't the very newest version by any means, but as a screenie-cum-editor app that runs from the tray it works very well across an entire range of Puppies. I've since discovered this in continuous build format over at Github, at the above link. Current release is 1.10.1.

I'll recommend either of these to anyone.......but out of the two, my personal favourite has to be KSnip.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Some time ago Linux Mint removed Shutter...I found and now use Flameshot but it seems it's back in Mint's Software Manager...might give it another go.
m1212.gif

Some time ago Linux Mint removed Shutter...

Shutter went unmaintained for a few years. I believe it was removed upstream, at Debian's end of things, and that trickled downstream to Mint. It is now maintained again, but there's sometimes a bug when you do a screen selection.

Shutter went unmaintained for a few years. I believe it was removed upstream, at Debian's end of things, and that trickled downstream to Mint. It is now maintained again, but there's sometimes a bug when you do a screen selection.

Thanks for that...Mint announced a few years ago shutter will be removed...just installed it from the Software Manager...so I'll give it a go.
m1213.gif

Well, I must just say this; if there's couple of things Linux is NOT short of, it's screeny & screen-capture apps. And if folks can't find something to fulfill their requirements, then in MY view they're not looking hard enough! :p

Mike. ;)

Just tried Shutter and think Flameshot is easier to use...both have similar options.
m01101.gif

2023-08-26-11-33.png

Selection-004.png

So take your pick.
m0103.gif

both have similar options.
if there's couple of things Linux is NOT short of, it's screeny & screen-capture apps. And if folks can't find something to fulfill their requirements

Yup. I use Shutter because that's what I'm used to using. I do like the editing options (and methods) of Shutter more than the rest, but an above mentioned KSnip had some neat options as well (as memory serves).

I'm going to move this to General Linux Questions - using it like a Jeopardy QA -

A. Shutter
Q. What is an example of a Linux screenshotting app/utility?

Why move it?
1. Getting Started is for
New to Linux? Feel free to post in here for installation help and other topics.
where by other topics we include asking the ubiquitous What Linux is Best For Me/My Computer? and so on.

2. For purposes of consistency - David G has already published a Thread there in January on Shutter
https://www.linux.org/threads/todays-article-has-you-taking-screenshots-with-shutter.38342/
which links to his website.

But I like Alex's linked article too,

BTW Alex if you say sorry, I will be forced to kill you - nothing to be sorry about.

Cheers and

Avagudweegend

Wizard

We've been using a couple of screenshot apps similar in concept to Shutter in Puppy for years.

One of these is HotShots!, which also has an in-built editor with the ability to add all sorts of arrows, pointers, annotations, text, etc. The other is the KDE Project's KSnip......one of the very small number of apps from the Project that doesn't seem to require integration with the entire contents of the Plasma desktop in order to function.

I found this in AppImage format a while back. It wasn't the very newest version by any means, but as a screenie-cum-editor app that runs from the tray it works very well across an entire range of Puppies. I've since discovered this in continuous build format over at Github, at the above link. Current release is 1.10.1.

I'll recommend either of these to anyone.......but out of the two, my personal favourite has to be KSnip.

Mike. ;)
Thanks for the info about HotShots and KSnip.
I'll look them up over the weekend.

Thanks for the info about HotShots and KSnip.
I'll look them up over the weekend.
Do let us know what ya think. Even for long-term users, there's frequently stuff out there that they've never heard of. The sheer quantity of open-source freeware available for general download and free use is mind-boggling, when you start to really dig-in & begin to investigate.

These two are definitely worth a look.

Mike. ;)

Do let us know what ya think. Even for long-term users, there's frequently stuff out there that they've never heard of. The sheer quantity of open-source freeware available for general download and free use is mind-boggling, when you start to really dig-in & begin to investigate.

These two are definitely worth a look.

Mike. ;)
I downloaded KSnip on my Slackware box.
Worked well. Just didn't like the blinding white background that comes with the interface.
Is there a way to change that?

Couldn't get Flameshot: the AppImage to launch even with chmod +X:-

Couldn't get Flameshot: the AppImage to launch even with chmod +X:-

On your non-Slack box, it's probably in the repos. I believe you also run a Debian-based distro?

apt-cache policy flameshot

I downloaded KSnip on my Slackware box.
Worked well. Just didn't like the blinding white background that comes with the interface.
Is there a way to change that?
Mm......if there is, I've never found it. Mind you, since it's a KDE app it's almost certainly amenable to being tweaked by the Plasma desktop tools/utilities. As a 'standalone' - running anywhere apart from Plasma - obviously it doesn't have anything for that part of its code to 'hook into'.....

Mike. ;)

On your non-Slack box, it's probably in the repos. I believe you also run a Debian-based distro?

apt-cache policy flameshot
Yeah, running Debian 11 on the big rig and Voyager based on Debian 11 stable on the lappy:-
I'm not booted into Debian right now. Thanks for the cmd.

I'm researching right now on how to learn C Programming among other things on the 'to do' list:-

Mm......if there is, I've never found it. Mind you, since it's a KDE app it's almost certainly amenable to being tweaked by the Plasma desktop tools/utilities. As a 'standalone' - running anywhere apart from Plasma - obviously it doesn't have anything for that part of its code to 'hook into'.....

Mike. ;)
My Slackware install came with the KDE DE so I may be able to manipulate the GUI.

A while back Jaskanasis showed me how to ad an envirnment variable to my /home directory to have an effect on the KDE app's and their interfaces to make them dark.

Thanks Mike:-:)

Just a heads up on Shutter to Alex and other users who have used it, on a missing function.

Alex's linked article featured a link to https://writerforlinux.wixsite.com/website/post/shutter which in turn had a link to the Shutter Project at https://shutter-project.org/

There, under "Capture", at the bottom is

Capture a Website
Shutter uses gnome-web-photo to capture a website without opening a browser window

That functionality, previously available by installing the PPA of the time, provided the ability to screenshot a long time page, like so.

AwxQ8UG.png

SCREENSHOT - GNOME-WEB-PHOTO FEATURE

The PPA at the time, that provided this, was installed with

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shutter/ppa

BUT (and I need not tell you about Wizard's butt)

That will only work as far as the Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa) series. It was updated to allow for 20.10, 21.04 and 21.10 but they are all EOL now, so I have it on my Linux Mint "U" series - Ulyana 20.0, Ulyssa 20.1, Uma 20.2 and Una 20.3, but nothing more recent.

So the Ubuntu 22.04 'Jammy Jellyfish' and onwards will error out with no release candidate available.

BTW David G @KGIII - you need to remove that reference in your tips article if you like.

That functionality I quite liked, so I went straight to the horse's mouth and asked what was its status, of the maintainer of Shutter, Michael Kogan, aka Photon89.

Michael emailed me back with this

Yes, this is a known issue: #285 We were considering to switch from gnome-web-photo to wkhtmltoimage or weasyprint but had security concerns (please read the discussion in the last few comments of above issue report).

If you want to read that linked page, you can scroll down nearly to the bottom, where the discussion on the gnome-web-photo functionality is mentioned, starting with a post by a Jackenmen, commenting on April 23 2022.

Then at the very bottom is the link to my query, answered as with my email content.

HTH

Wizard

Staff online