Renaming a USB Drive

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
If you have as many thumb drives, external drives and the like as I do this blog post may come in handy for you.

Writing for Linux is one of the ways I enjoy giving back to our community.;)

Writing for Linux is one of the ways I enjoy giving back to our community.;)

It's fun, isn't it?

I find I learn more than my readers probably learn.

If you keep at it, people will come. It's not easy to consistently publish, but the more you do it, the more people will show up and benefit from your writing.

It's fun, isn't it?

I find I learn more than my readers probably learn.

If you keep at it, people will come. It's not easy to consistently publish, but the more you do it, the more people will show up and benefit from your writing.
Yes, fun indeed brother.

It was the frustration of having so many usb drives that I have and not knowing how to rename a device that lead me to thinking "I wonder how many other folks are in the same boat." And that, lead me to writing the article today.

The more we do things the better we get at it.

I just use sticky labels.....;)

Simply, write on the label, peel off, & stick to the pendrive. ;)

Simply, write on the label, peel off, & stick to the pendrive. ;)
That works however; over time the adhesive breaks down.
Then I reach for the goo gone,LOL!

Another way that I've used is to just number the pendrives, then write down in a notebook what is on each.

(I used a magic marker, took a long time before it would disappear - but you could engrave the numbers.)

When an array of pendrives/usb sticks etc sits in front of you, it is impractical to insert each one until you find the exact one you need.

So in this instance, @camtaf's suggestion to actually label with a sticky label make a great deal of sense.

I have upwards of 15 usb sticks/pendrives sitting here, and yes I label them so I can easily recognise what I am picking up.

I try to remember to use key tags and small writing, but I'm not that good at remembering to do so.

I don't have any private data on thumb drives and they're mostly used just once, but I might write some files to one and give it away.

There are a number of valid reasons to re-name a Flash Drives or External HDDs/SSDs...it all depends on what it's used for.
m1204.gif

For me it's easier to re-name with Disks...than it is to pull a sticker off or try to get off a marker that won't come off but that's me.
m1212.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts