Question about running Netflix using Mint Linux ?

dolphans1

Reaction score
Credits
I have been using several flavors of Linux over the last 17 years or so. I have tried updating my browser and I still can't get Netflix to play through my Linux browser. I have tried updating browser(s) and nothing seems to work. I get some sort of error message when I try playing it on my browser. I have tried Chrome and Firefox. Are there any viable solutions out there. This post was posted on March 23, 2022. I am currently using Mint Linux. Thanks.

G'day dolphans1, Welcome to Linux.org

I get some sort of error message when I try playing it on my browser
It would be beneficial to see that error message.

Have you tried disabling your extensions/add ons in those browsers?

I get this message - I have tried a few things, but nothing I tried works-

Netflix Error F7701-1003​

If you get the error code F7701-1003 on your computer with this message:

Pardon the interruption
We're having trouble playing Netflix. Please make sure you're using the latest version of Firefox and try again.

It means there may be an issue with your browser's digital rights management software. Follow these steps to fix the problem.

Restart your browser

Turn on browser history

Update Firefox

Make sure DRM content is enabled

Update Firefox's content protection feature

Check Firefox version

lol...it is not often I get an answer as complete as that !....Thank you.

I have never used netflix or any other streaming company, so I have no idea if my next suggestion is going to be a goer or not.

I have been using Brave browser for some time now, and am more than happy with the results.

I know it is still Chrome based, but there just may be sufficient differences to make the tryout worthwhile.

Brave is available for download in the Software Manager. The version available for download is the latest !

ps. You may also notice an uptick in browser speed......You may also not need some of extensions you have traditionally used....eg uBlockOrigin etc

Last edited:
You did, in fact, enable DRM in your settings? That's usually what this is, from what I've seen.

If you have, I haven't gotta clue what's wrong. If you haven't, and you do enable it, I think I recall it needing a browser restart.

KGIII - I did not see your message until now, but after I posted the above message, I searched for DRM and installed DRM and the browser then asked me to enable it. When I did that it finally worked. For the last few months I could not find one post online that described a solution, and my first post I wrote, got me to start rethinking those above steps. Thanks for your great support! Everyone kept saying to update my browser but that never worked. Thanks for your support and great help.

Last edited:
Yeah, the setting is easy to overlook and that's usually the problem. You can update all you want, but it won't help unless you've enabled DRM. That's the solution most every time I see this question. It could do with being a bit more intuitive, perhaps even enabled by default.

Glad it's sorted.

Yeah, the setting is easy to overlook and that's usually the problem. You can update all you want, but it won't help unless you've enabled DRM. That's the solution most every time I see this question. It could do with being a bit more intuitive, perhaps even enabled by default.

Glad it's sorted.
It through me so off because last year it worked fine on all my computers, well, it even quit working on an older Hackintosh running Mavericks, so I assumed one had to have a newer browser installed. On my Hackintosh, I can’t install a new browser because the newer browsers won’t run on Mavericks and I don’t want to upgrade to a new iOS.

I do not know which encoding Netflix uses, but have you got FFmpeg installed? and HTML5 enabled

If you do not have any browser present in Mint Linux, try downloading firefox or google chrome.
The command to install the firefox is given below:
Firefox browser
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install firefox ubufox

Further you need to download the Personal Packages Archives(PPA) for Netflix to run in firefox browser.
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

Then follow these steps:
Click the menu button ,
click Add-ons and Themes and select Plugins.
In the Add-ons Manager Plugins panel, click the ellipsis (3-dot) icon next to Widevine Content Decryption Module provided by Google Inc.
Ensure that Always Activate is selected in the drop-down menu.

After the above process when you sign in to Netflix and press to start the preferred movie you will get a pop up called enable DRM(Digital Rights Management) and then you can enjoy watching Netflix in Firefox without any disturbances.

Staff online

Members online