QEMU/KVM question-Video/Audio

PuppyHome

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone.

Question for you fine people since I can't find a clear answer on the Interwebs.

As many of you know when running a VM (regardless of the choice of software) there is always a sort of latency when it comes to playing video. Speech always seem to be a tad behind the audio whether it's a movie in a player or YouTube and I can't seem to fix that.

Is there any way to sync that at all as far as you guys know?
Thanks in advance.

The part that sticks out to me is that it also happens with YouTube.

My questions are as follows:

How drastic is it, that is how far behind is the audio from the video?
What's your CPU usage look like when you're playing these videos?

@KGIII thanks for the reply.

When playing videos (YT and otherwise) the audio is actually faster than the lips of the person talking. Video is behind , about 1second.
CPU @ 25% (Virtual, 4CPUs 4cores)

@KGIII thanks for the reply.

When playing videos (YT and otherwise) the audio is actually faster than the lips of the person talking. Video is behind , about 1second.
CPU @ 25% (Virtual, 4CPUs 4cores)
It's possible to have mpv play youtube videos directly with a command in a terminal such as:
Code:
mpv https://www.youtube.com/watch....
It's more laborious perhaps since one needs to enter the youtube URL into mpv, but it offers the control mechanisms internal to mpv which may address the synchronisation issue.

Another option, not tried by me, is to use mpv inside the firefox browser through the addon: ff2mpv, which can be found through the addon search facility of firefox, but on reading the info there, it looks like it needs some input from its github site: https://github.com/woodruffw/ff2mpv

@osprey Thanks. Tried the URL dropping just now however the issue persists. Which isn't TOO much of a deal it's just a bit annoying.

Welp, I will just just soldier on in search for a solution. Don't think I'd find any tbh and the lag is something I will have to live with. Comes with VM use I suppose. Everything else is working fine. Can always watch vids on my host OS.

Interesting side note.

The "lighter" the distro in a VM the smaller the lag. This is so interesting to me. I've used (well tested and ran for a bit) quite a few mainline/heavy distros like Mint and Ubuntu (live and installed) and MX Linux and such where the lag is greater than the lighter distros. Lag can be up to 2 seconds and as the video progresses will increase over time. Creepily slowly but it does.

Running Puppies in a VM lag is at a minimum especially EasyOS and F96-CE. The BEST performance comes from AntiX in a VM.

Hmm... That should run just fine. What GPU are you using?
I know right? Could be anything really. As I said above I suppose it is inherit to VM use as this lag thing had always been an issue on any machine in the past regardless of the software I would use. QEMU performs the best though and have been sticking with it for about a year now,

GPU: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2) (According to the info provided by system monitor)

GPU: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2) (According to the info provided by system monitor)

Yup. I'm officially stumped.

That should run just fine in a VM.

I do have a crazy idea that might help. Reduce the allotted system resources by half. This way, the host computer has ample resources remaining. You can try that.

You can also try VirtualBox which has some video settings you can adjust.

But, I'm officially stumped.

Yup. I'm officially stumped.

That should run just fine in a VM.

I do have a crazy idea that might help. Reduce the allotted system resources by half. This way, the host computer has ample resources remaining. You can try that.

You can also try VirtualBox which has some video settings you can adjust.

But, I'm officially stumped.
I could try that and I will in a minute but I am almost certain it won't make a difference as the host machine still has more than enough resources to run on . That being 4gb of RAM and 4CPUs and 4 cores running Parrot Home Edition.

Gonna give it a go right now, :cool:

I could try that and I will in a minute but I am almost certain it won't make a difference as the host machine still has more than enough resources to run on .

It's my wild stab in the dark, from having had to do so for a kinda similar reason in the past. Well, for resource usage - in the past, not specifically for video. Which is why it's just a stab in the dark.

I do love me some VirtualBox, on the other hand.

Nope. Still the same :eek:

I do love me some VirtualBox, on the other hand.
Nah, I'm not the biggest fan of Virtualbox. Always wresting with it: screen resolution, scaling GuestAddons loading fights. But then again I've used VB on rather low spec computers in the past and these days I own a very nice Lenovo ThinkCentre which I was able to buy for just a 100 Euros. Soon to be upgraded by doubling it's RAM to 16gb.

Maybe I should give VB another change than. ;)

Yup... I'm completely out of ideas.

Yup... I'm completely out of ideas.
As am I. Oh well, there are worse things that could happen.

That's life. We have to live with little annoyances here and there.:D

Members online