Put here the used linux distro and why you are using it.

BoodyWin

Reaction score
Credits
Well, as myself im using Ubuntu desktop and server versions for my testing and development apps like python as an example of them...
1707156487761.png

This is close enough:

Specifically Lubuntu but I mentioned that in the article. I'm on my phone so it's a pain to type.

Currently running, Mint LMDE6, Parrot, Debian stable,MX-32bit & Debian 32 bit I also have mint 19. Mint 21. Antix. MX 64 bit and several others why because I can.

Currently running, Mint LMDE6, Parrot, Debian stable,MX-32bit & Debian 32 bit I also have mint 19. Mint 21. Antix. MX 64 bit and several others why because I can.
Nah but ok, my pc can't just run the windows that im installed in but ok (ofc im using virtual machine for linux)

I use Arch + Gnome and i3 for daily driver. I have an old development server I use Ubuntu on just because I have too much stuff there to bother moving it. I prefer the do-it-yourself philosophy of Arch and I much prefer Gnome over KDE.

Using Crowz (Devaun) 5. I'm avoiding "something." I started on Mint, which is a stable and easy to use OS, and good for beginners.

Last edited:
I use Debian 11 since it came out, before that I have used Debian 10, mint and ubuntu.

I use Debian 11 because I can't stand the hassle of a clean Debian 12 installation and I don't want to break a nicely working computer

No, there are no plans to use anything other than Debian

Easy OS 5.7
Linux Lite 6.4
Lubuntu 22.04.3

I might give a few other Linux distros a go just to see if I like them.
I get bored easy so I like a variety and a change from distro to distro.

The Wife started using Linux Lite and she likes Google Chrome.
I started using Linux Lite again since the Wife started using Linux Lite.

I used Linux Lite for quite sometime until they moved from Firefox browser to Google Chrome browser.

I'm just glad that she decided to try Linux Lite and learn about Linux and so far so good she really likes the oem help manual.

Last edited:
As an "old newbie" {I think I still am most of the time} I use Mint 21.2 Victoria.
I'm happy with almost everything about it.
Updates are very simple.
Formatting flashdisks is a no-brainer.
Burning ISOs to flashdisks is almost a no-brainer.
Installing new software is very easy.
Saving things is also easy with Timeshift.
I started with Mint several years ago and keep using it because I am not interested in re-inventing the wheel, when the folks at Mint {Clem and others} have already done the work for me.
I have tried about 30 to 35 different distros. None suits my needs as well as Mint MATE, but that is just me. {a couple of years ago I mentioned that I had about 15 distros on my test computer, too which a fellow by the name of Wiz, from a far-away place called Australia questioned why I was doing it. I believe I said because I want to see if I can! That's the great part about Linux. If you're interested in something go ahead and do it. Try that with Windows or Macs.}
I have some knowledge of the Terminal and use it occasionally, but I like the GUI approach better.
I have studied a bit about programming and understand some of the C language, but have come to the conclusion that I will never be a programmer.
Like most people, I am interested in something new, but not at the expense of trashing what works for me.

OG
TC

I started on Mint, which is a great beginners distro.

You'd be surprised how many beginners can't burn an ISO to a Flash Drive let alone install and run Linux Mint.

I'll never know why people call Mint a beginners Distro...maybe because Mint doesn't break...is user friendly...set out in a way that's easy to understand and find things...has many useful tools...very stable...not to mention very customisable.
m1212.gif

I run Debian 12 my own redux of it - why I run Linux - I got tired of Windowz, tired of forking out cash for all the headaches like the dreaded BSOD upon reboot for updates - Linux is Free, most of the forums I have been to are generally helpful
That's my opinion too but the pc that im using is my dad's, one day if he got me a new pc i'll install linux as a main os on this pc

You'd be surprised how many beginners can't burn an ISO to a Flash Drive let alone install and run Linux Mint.

I'll never know why people call Mint a beginners Distro...maybe because Mint doesn't break...is user friendly...set out in a way that's easy to understand and find things...has many useful tools...very stable...not to mention very customisable.
m1212.gif
I hope i make something like it or better.

Last edited:
A member of the german forum have created spins of Ubuntu and Linux Mint Debian edition. I will give this os a try in past.

https://12-u.vs2-free-users.de/mirror/plus-systeme/

Original thread (German)

Puppy's entire ethos has always been built around the premise that the user comes first. The tools for customizing & re-mastering have always been included in every Pup since Puppy 2.0 (around 2005/6).

Even today, nearly 20 years on, it's STILL a very popular pastime. Originally, Puppy was a one-off, unique distro built from the ground up. From the time of Puppy 3.0, it was decided to start using certain mainstream distros as a base.....but not in the way that many projects will re-spin a distro.

Puppy will use the binary-compatible components from something like Debian or Slackware - two of the oldest continuously-running projects still extant - yet the resulting distro will still be built in the unique Puppy 'style'.....doing things the Puppy way.......and using a core selection of the same often unique, home-grown applications as other Pups.

This has the advantage of making stuff from the repos of these "base" distros usable (although there's still often incompatibilities. But nowt a dedicated "geek" can't surmount!!) :D

The newer "Kennel Linux" Project within the Puppy community has developed scripts that permit creating the traditional Puppy 'frugal install' out of ANY distro you choose to utilise as a base, along with the ability to create a 'save' (known to most folks as"persistence"). This means you can always run them from a flash drive or other external media, if so desired....

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Windows XP because it's the best Linux distribution out there.

m1212.gif
@bob466 :-

No, I also wouldn't go so far as to call it a "beginner's" distro, per se.....more like "easy-to-use". I suspect many confuse "easy-to-use" with "noob"....

(shrug...)

Mike. :)

Members online

Latest posts