Problems booting from USB

D

Dave Parker

Hey!

Im currently trying to install ubuntu 14 (32 bit) on my windows 8.1 PC, but I just can't get it to boot from a usb. I think Ive formatted the usb right, as my windows vista laptop is able to boot fine from it. On my PC I have changed the boot order in the bios, but no matter what order I put the options in, it always just boots in back into Windows, has anyone got any ideas where I could be going wrong?

My guess is UEFI, the replacement for BIOS. Your Vista laptop didn't have it, and your new Win8.1 does. Your first step will be to get the 64-bit Ubuntu... the 32-bit won't do it. And you may have other troubles still, depending on who made your new PC. UEFI is a pain.

Last edited:
I formatted the ubs for Ubuntu 64 and I typed into the admin command prompt: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi and when I rebooted the computer all that pops up is "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key" Has something gone wrong?!

The link that @arochester provided should steer you through the entire process... I think you have skipped some steps. You will want to disable "fast boot" from within Windows. You may or may not have to disable Secure Boot. Even though Ubuntu is supposed to work with Secure Boot enabled, sometimes it doesn't.

The bcdedit command you were trying to use is for AFTER you get Ubuntu installed... to make it the default system that boots. You may not need to do this. The first thing is to get your USB to boot as a "live" version.

Actually, maybe the first thing is to ask yourself if you want to keep your Windows. I really recommend you make recovery DVD's or a recovery USB before you go too far.

Last edited:
Did you burn the iso to the usb or just copy the files? you need to properly burn it

Members online

Latest posts