Problem with mint cinnamon VM (Solved)

timurs022

Reaction score
Credits
Thanks! The problem was that I didn’t have enough ram! It works like a charm now.

Last edited:

What's your RAM consumption look like?

I did notice it’s a bit high, about 50 - 60 percent out of 4 gigabytes

That's the problem, probably. You don't have enough RAM to smoothly run VMs.

You can try shutting down all other appliances, limiting the VM to two gigs and see if it at least works.

That's the problem, probably. You don't have enough RAM to smoothly run VMs.

You can try shutting down all other appliances, limiting the VM to two gigs and see if it at least

Last edited:
I have a Laptop with 4GB of Ram and would never have Virtualbox installed because there's just not enough Ram to run it. I'm using 3.2GB of Ram surfing the net just now but that's fine because my Tower has 16GB of Ram.
m1213.gif

You could burn the Mint ISO to a Flash Drive and boot to it to see what Mint Cinnamon is like without installing it. The other way is to add more Ram.
m1212.gif

(I’m running virtual box on windows)
What you mean is that your main operating system is Windows(?)....and you have a VM running inside it with Linux mint Cinnamon ?

I have a Laptop with 4GB of Ram and would never have Virtualbox installed because there's just not enough Ram to run it. I'm using 3.2GB of Ram surfing the net just now but that's fine because my Tower has 16GB of Ram.
m1213.gif

You could burn the Mint ISO to a Flash Drive and boot to it to see what Mint Cinnamon is like without installing it. The other way is to add more Ram.
m1212.gif
But the thing is I have 16 gigs of ram, just the VM is set to 4.

What you mean is that your main operating system is Windows(?)....and you have a VM running inside it with Linux mint Cinnamon ?
No, I’m running the VM on my secondary, my main has Linux on it as primary, because my secondary doesn’t support Linux (and I am not willing to get Linux on it.)

Last edited:
I’m running the VM on my secondary
Are these both laptops ? can you easily fit another ram stick?...or is this problematic?

No, I’m running the VM on my secondary, my main has Linux on it as primary.
Are these both laptops ? can you easily fit another ram stick?...or is this problematic?
this is problematic, since my VM keeps locking itself. (VM ram is 4gb and my secondary PC ram is 16gb so I don’t really know what the problem is. although at VM Lock Screen ram consumption increases for some reason. Ubuntu works just fine though. I have no idea they both have the same ram.

sounds like not enough ram allocated to the VM.
options
1] increase the amount of ram in machine [if under 16 gb] and the amount allocated to the VM
2 run your Mint/any Linux on a USB pen drive of at least 32gb [64 or more is better if you are going to store a lot of information] BUT make it with persistence this way the pen-drive will act as any other hard drive and become your portable installation for use on most 64 bit machines.

this is problematic, since my VM keeps locking itself. (VM ram is 4gb and my secondary PC ram is 16gb so I don’t really know what the problem is. although at VM Lock Screen ram consumption increases for some reason. Ubuntu works just fine though. I have no idea they both have the same ram.
Increase the ram available to the vm to 8gb.

Give it a try
I’ll try it.

sounds like not enough ram allocated to the VM.
options
1] increase the amount of ram in machine [if under 16 gb] and the amount allocated to the VM
2 run your Mint/any Linux on a USB pen drive of at least 32gb [64 or more is better if you are going to store a lot of information] BUT make it with persistence this way the pen-drive will act as any other hard drive and become your portable installation for use on most 64 bit machines.
I don’t have a 32gb nor a 16gb usb. In fact I barely have enough to install mint.

Well done.

But the thing is I have 16 gigs of ram, just the VM is set to 4.

My win 7 VM has 6GB of Ram and video memory is 256MB...it's all in the settings.
m01101.gif

However Mint Cinnamon 21.1 does run a little slow in Virtualbox as I've found.
m0104.gif

Members online

Latest posts