Problem with matplotlib

Jramos13

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all. Im still learning my way around linux and using the terminal. Today i was trying to install a data processing program and had some issues with matplotlib. I kept getting "matplotlib.backends.backend_qt5 module not found" I tried the pip uninstall command, dnf uninstal, rpm -e matplotlib. Nothing worked, so I ended going into the directory and manually removing it. After that was done I also remove the older versions of python and kept the 3.11 one and use "pip3 instal...." after that I was able to install the data processing software and it ran great. How ever I do get an error now in the terminal:

Error processing line 1 of /usr/lib64/python3.11/site-packages/basemap-1.3.7-py3.11-nspkg.pth:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<frozen site>", line 186, in addpackage
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 570, in module_from_spec
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'loader'

Im not sure exactly what it means or how to fix it. Aside from that everything seems to run smooth. Im running Fedora 38. I apologize if im in the wrong section, was not sure where it would be the right place. Any help is greatly appreciated

Just to clear something up, did you remove the default Python that came with the system?

Im not sure, when I looked into the folder it had 2.7, 3.10 and 3.11. kept 3.11 and removed the rest

Yeah, if you removed the default Python it breaks your system and your only real solution is to back up your personal data and do a new install. I guess it can be fixed, but it takes a long time.

See this excellent answer and what you should do instead:

That's for Ubuntu but it will be similar in other distros.

hm so far its been working fine with only the 3.11. i ended removing the file that gave the error and everything is still working fine.

hm so far its been working fine with only the 3.11. i ended removing the file that gave the error and everything is still working fine.

That's a good thing. You may have gotten away with it. I'd still strongly recommend backing up your data soon. If things are fine, that's great. If not, you've got a backup. Let's hope there's nothing broken that you're not seeing. You could flip through the error logs to check.

Members online