Private Messeging App Android

tinfoil-hat

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I have an online friendship with someone, that has to fear politically persecution in his country and we want to chat (freely) without getting him arrested. What's the As-In-Private-As-It-Gets android App that I can recommend him?
Tox?
Signal?
Telegram?

I know already, that smartphones aren't that secure, but at least he hasn't sign in to google on his device and uses stock apps or fdroid

if you don't mind a now owned by Microsoft, then Whatsapp [I even have it on my Linux desktop]

there is also one called Element messenger , some say it's the most secure, but it can be a bit basic and problematic

Thank you, Element seems very promising, which country as origin should I search for a Server? Also, what do you mean by problematic?

I have an online friendship with someone, that has to fear politically persecution in his country and we want to chat (freely) without getting him arrested.
I know already, that smartphones aren't that secure
Why not talk about the many other things that friends talk about.... things that will not put your friend's freedom in jeopardy?

That said, if I had to choose, I guess I'd go with Signal. But there is no lack of other opinions and options, like here, here, here, and here.

There is no guarantee your friend will be safe. It all boils down to the level of threat he/she faces... how closely he/she may be monitored... and by whom. Tails, Tor, Qubes/Whonix, VPN's, PGP or other encrypted email and messaging.... none are perfect.

Some folks think that just using apps such as these can cause people to come under closer scrutiny from authorities. Is "chatting freely" worth the risks?

Good luck! Especially to your friend! :oops:

Last edited:
and we want to chat (freely) without getting him arrested.
If it were me, I'd be more worried about myself getting arrested after becoming "guilty by association" if he/she were to be arrested using the "As-In-Private-As-It-Gets android App". Don't think for a minute the governments of the world don't work together from time to time.

Just putting that in your head in case you hadn't thought about it. You do you.

I believe there's a Tox client for Android.

yes, I know but is it more secure than Signal or Matrix?

It offers high bit rate end-to-end encryption. I don't know more about Signal or Matrix, but I know Tox has seemingly stood the test of time. It has been around for a while now.

tox is actually extremely cool. I've tried it about 7 years ago or so. But back then all clients were mostly broken and its reasonably sure that nobody else uses it, so you will have to convince people first.

@KGIII do you use tox?

It offers high bit rate end-to-end encryption. I don't know more about Signal or Matrix, but I know Tox has seemingly stood the test of time. It has been around for a while now.
I don't have anyone to test a requirement,: Is it possible to send messanges, if the counter part is offline?

Is it possible to send messanges, if the counter part is offline?

I don't think so. I haven't used Tox in ages. I don't even remember my login information or anything like that. It has been about a decade since I regularly used Tox.

@KGIII do you use tox?

I haven't in ages. Back in about 2015 I dipped a toe into doing some online Linux support. I used to use Tux to communicate off-site (the stackexchange.com stuff mostly) with a few people, which is why I remember it and why I checked to see if it still existed.

if you don't mind a now owned by Microsoft, then Whatsapp [I even have it on my Linux desktop]

there is also one called Element messenger , some say it's the most secure, but it can be a bit basic and problematic
Whatsapp is owned by Meta. If you trust Zuckerberg it could be an option. I'd prefer Signal though.

If his phone is under surveillance will be hard to go unnoticed.
First... are you sure that there where you chat with him is safe ?
But before installing something he has to get rid of identifiers...

IMSI - identifier is on the sim card. ISP related, as long as he use a sim, the ISP can track you.
IMEI - attached to hardware.
Some governments use/can use radio interception.
MAC - Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, nearby listening devices will know where that mac is connected

In vain we talk about that app or that, if he lives in a surveillance state...
If the danger is to "get arrested" the only option to chat is from another phone(no connection to his identity) via another network, let's say..."a trusted one".

Signal is secure but is not possible without a sim card...thus IMSI will be active.
Matrix yes. Chose a client which supports both platforms.
Something like matrix "or better" is Braxme, take a look, on the page is also an apk file available to download.
uses stock apps or fdroid
Via f-droid he can install Aurora Store. Log anonymous into then search for Orbot

You have remember that.. even with all security measures in place, internet traffic will still be visible.

Staff online

Members online