Please some expert to explain why I can not execute this file

regressist

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,
I do not understand what is this, trying to execute file 4 on a tablet (Android) within Terminal, file has to be moved in the home of the app but does not cp or mv. Note this works on various phones, I do not understand why not on the Toshiba AT-100: The file is in /sdcard

>ls /sdcard/4 and the file 4 is there
>ls -al
-rwxrwxr-x root sdcard_rw 95550 2021-11-21 17:00 4
>cd I move to the dir /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/app_HOME
>cp /sdcard/4 .
/system/bin/sh: cp: not found
>mv /sdcard/4 .
failed on '/sdcard/4' - Cross-device link
>cd /sdcard
>./4
/system/bin/sh: ./4: cannot execute - Permission denied

Is anybody able to understand? Thanks in advance to whomever will explain

Thanks for your reply. No, but please note that it does not have root either on the 2 phones (more recent) which I tried (where cp works and then I execute within the dir /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/app_HOME after changing the execution rights). Here I can not even copy...

Looks like it does not find the cmd copy?

Is anybody able to understand?
Those who will understand best will be found on an Android Forum, like this one. While Android uses a stripped down Linux kernel, it is not a Linux distro and help here may be very limited.

-rwxrwxr-x root sdcard_rw 95550 2021-11-21 17:00 4
The file is "owned" by root.

/system/bin/sh: ./4: cannot execute - Permission denied
Because you are not root.

trying to execute file 4 on a tablet (Android) within Terminal, file has to be moved in the home of the app but does not cp or mv. Note this works on various phones, I do not understand why not on the Toshiba AT-100
A tablet is not a phone, and Android is not a Linux distro. You may have different read-write-execute (rwx) permissions on your phones than you do on your tablet. Your phones may be a different Android version than your tablet. You don't even tell us what Android version you are having trouble with.

I think you need both write and execute permission on the destination you are trying to copy/move to... and it looks like you may not have write permission unless you become root, or unless you are a member of the sdcard_rw group.

Good luck!

We could probably have an Android forum. Not to answer the questions, but to keep 'em all in one location. Some might be answerable, but we don't really have any phone fanatics here. Putting it as its own forum would keep some clutter out of the rest of the site.

We could probably have an Android forum. Not to answer the questions, but to keep 'em all in one location. Some might be answerable, but we don't really have any phone fanatics here. Putting it as its own forum would keep some clutter out of the rest of the site.
Yep that would work as well

I dunno... I think it would only encourage folks to think there is some support here (like Kali, which we also don't support very well). There may be some phone fans here, but we rarely talk Android to really know. I was a long time ago, a decade or more. It was too much work... things change too quickly in the phone world.

I think it would only encourage folks to think there is some support here (like Kali, which we also don't support very well).

Yeah, for that you just ignore 'em. Someone'll have energy and amuse themselves by telling anyone who asks to go to a different site. I could probably move them all to off-topic, but it is *technically* a Linux kernel. Kinda, sorta, in a way...

Never a perfect solution.

If anyone asks, I don't think we support super-computers either, right? ;)

Or IoT. Or automotive systems. Or other "niche" markets where Linux finds itself.

Never a perfect solution.

If anyone asks, I don't think we support super-computers either, right? ;)

Or IoT. Or automotive systems. Or other "niche" markets where Linux finds itself.

Kinda sorta - if you can. Most supercomputers are running Linux and many are clustered. The fundamentals are the same. Heck, we even have a tutorial (I skimmed it) about clustering computers. It's in the official tutorials section.

Members online

Latest posts