Photo transfer issues (Mint)

UpNorth

Reaction score
Credits
Admin: I realized after creating this post that I have the wrong forum selected. If the Mint forum is more appropriate, could you kindly move it? Thank you!

Mint noob here, and a novice photographer. After installing Mint, I connected my camera (Panasonic Lumix FZ300) to the computer and the pictures transferred effortlessly using Pix and into my Home/Pictures folder. Since then, I've been experimenting with different photo software and messing with my camera settings. Now I have things screwed up and I can't figure out how to fix them. Some of this may be specific to my camera or the software, but any help in the right direction is appreciated.

1) My pictures are no longer transferring to my Home/Pictures folder like before. A source folder was created and the pictures are going there instead, even though the destination still shows Home/Pictures. I don't know what I changed to make this happen or how to fix it.

1705246445654-png.17813

1705246804921-png.17814

2) Also notice these INDEX.bdm and MOVIEOBJ.bdm files at the top. Every time I transfer pics it asks me if I want to overwrite the file. I deleted them but they show up every time I transfer. They weren't there before I messed with things.

Screenshot from 2024-01-14 11-01-50.png

3) Before Linux, I used Nikon's photo software called ViewNX2. I like the software and continued to use it even after buying a new camera (hated the Panasonic software). Since it's Windows based, I can't get it to work anymore. Would WINE enable me to go back to this software? I haven't experimented with WINE yet. One frustration at a time :)

Attachments

• 1705246445654.png
    1705246445654.png
    17 KB · Views: 433
  • 1705246804921.png
    1705246804921.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 414

Admin: I realized after creating this post that I have the wrong forum selected.

I think it'd work there too, but it works just fine in Mint. So, here it is.

Tina, from another of your Threads

So I updated the settings for the system updates and Timeshift.

So, can you please post here a couple of screenshots from these tabs of Timeshift
  • The "front page" when it launches, showing snapshots held, also - from Settings -
  • Schedule and
  • Users
Thanks

Chris

Sorry, I should have said - the reason for the questions is to help evaluate if there is an option to roll your system back to a time before
Now I have things screwed up and I can't figure out how to fix them.

lol

Hey, sorry for the lapse in responding. During the week I go into work mode and don't spend much time on the home computer.

So I'm apprehensive about rolling my computer back to an earlier time. I would lose all changes/customizations I made since then, correct? I'm going to reinstall Pix first and see if that fixes anything.

Yes, rolling back via Timeshift will cause your pc to have whatever is on the snapshot that you roll back to.......and customizations etc will not be there.

Yes, reinstall Pix.

If (after reinstall) it appears to be the same, it may be worth uninstalling via synaptic package manager to clear any conflicts in configurations of that app (pix)....I am not totally sure about that....just tell us how you get on with reinstalling

Hey, sorry...

No need, we appreciate that people actually have a life outside this site. :)

I would lose all changes/customizations I made since then, correct?

Depends on how you have your Timeshift set up.

Your settings are stored usually in your Home folder, under hidden folders and files, which you can see if you open Home with your File Manager and press Ctrl-h .

If your Timeshift Settings look something like this

W5bmyaD.png

...then, yes, you would want to copy and safeguard some files before a Timeshift Restore.

If, however, your Users Settings look like this

atwoRqV.png

... then no, you won't lose files because it has only snapshotted your System Files and Folders.

Wiz

Yes, rolling back via Timeshift will cause your pc to have whatever is on the snapshot that you roll back to.......and customizations etc will not be there.

Yes, reinstall Pix.

If (after reinstall) it appears to be the same, it may be worth uninstalling via synaptic package manager to clear any conflicts in configurations of that app (pix)....I am not totally sure about that....just tell us how you get on with reinstalling
How do I uninstall via the synaptic package manager? I found it and brought it up.. but then what?

We're in Mint, yeah?

Suppose I want to uninstall Firefox, via Synaptic.

Note how I set up my panes within it, because that bottom right one can contain valuable information.

5qNHj24.png

Once you click on Mark for Complete Removal. go to near top left and click the Apply button.

Wiz

OK, trying this. Not sure if Pix is the issue, but I tried out Digikam last weekend, didn't care for it, then removed it. But look what keeps showing up when I transport photos tonight.
Screenshot from 2024-01-19 22-46-38.png

Will report back!

What Linux program were you using before things were changed?

I used to use Shotwell on my Debian installation and it worked flawlessly with my digital camera.

* Not all Windows programs work under Wine*

What Linux program were you using before things were changed?

I used to use Shotwell on my Debian installation and it worked flawlessly with my digital camera.

* Not all Windows programs work under Wine*

I just installed Mint a few weeks ago. Linux is all new to me. I then started trying out different photo software and then reset my camera settings. Then I started getting the prompt below. I believe the bdm extension is for videos, but I'm not taking any videos, just pics. It comes up every time I transfer a new pic, and I have to then check the box to not overwrite the old file. I don't know what I did or how to get rid of it.

I will give Shotwell a try.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-01-19 23-33-35.png
    Screenshot from 2024-01-19 23-33-35.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 60
Both those files have the same date and time

I just installed Mint a few weeks ago. Linux is all new to me. I then started trying out different photo software and then reset my camera settings. Then I started getting the prompt below. I believe the bdm extension is for videos, but I'm not taking any videos, just pics. It comes up every time I transfer a new pic, and I have to then check the box to not overwrite the old file. I don't know what I did or how to get rid of it.

I will give Shotwell a try.
Any idea what program Mint is using to view your pic's on your camera?

You should be able to set your camera's settings back to the default like when you first purchased it.
Here is the link to your Panasonic's Manual. Have a peek in there.

Good one @Alexzee ....setting the camera back to defaults will almost certainly improve this out of sight.

OK, I installed Shotwell and have been playing around with it. No transfer problems and the annoying bdm files are gone! It has a similar feel to the ViewNX2 I was using in Windows, which is what I've been searching for. So this one may be a keeper, thanks!

I did reset my camera settings last weekend, but that messed up other things. Now my indoor pics are grainy and yellow. Whatever settings I stumbled upon before are now gone. I need to learn how to use this thing. Found a tutorial on YouTube, so that's on the agenda for the weekend.

Question for @Alexzee since you also have a Panasonic: My photo file names used to have the format of year/month/day and image #, so for example: 20221019_4101_.JPG. I like organizing my pics this way. At some point that got changed and now my file names are like this: P10000042.JPG. This has to be a format setting in the card, right? But when I go to the format setting, it just asks me if I want to delete data from the card. I choose Yes, then nothing. It just clears the card. Why can't I change the file name format?

All in all, making some progress. Thanks for the help!

OK, I installed Shotwell and have been playing around with it. No transfer problems and the annoying bdm files are gone! It has a similar feel to the ViewNX2 I was using in Windows, which is what I've been searching for. So this one may be a keeper, thanks!

I did reset my camera settings last weekend, but that messed up other things. Now my indoor pics are grainy and yellow. Whatever settings I stumbled upon before are now gone. I need to learn how to use this thing. Found a tutorial on YouTube, so that's on the agenda for the weekend.

Question for @Alexzee since you also have a Panasonic: My photo file names used to have the format of year/month/day and image #, so for example: 20221019_4101_.JPG. I like organizing my pics this way. At some point that got changed and now my file names are like this: P10000042.JPG. This has to be a format setting in the card, right? But when I go to the format setting, it just asks me if I want to delete data from the card. I choose Yes, then nothing. It just clears the card. Why can't I change the file name format?

All in all, making some progress. Thanks for the help!
Glad to hear that Shotwell is working for you. Thanks for the update.

By changing the file name format do you mean (for example) you have a .JPG and you want to change the format to say .png?

If you aren't able to change the format of a picture in the camera's Settings, see if you can change it under Shotwell.

Alex, I believe the OP is asking about changing the actual naming of the jpg files to the way they were being generated previously.

In other words, from eg P10000042.JPG back to 20221019_4101_.JPG , which features a date format.

Cheers

Wiz

Members online