Partitioning

Somehow strange, because for years I used to work with windows which is very user friendly. But I already aware about this and will learn it soon. I like the programmatically interaction with the operating system and as I am working in the data science and development, it is the right way to go. How is your experience with Ubuntu and in general with Linux?

It is a bit strage, because I had been working with Windows for years. But I was aware about this and decided to learn it as it is suitable for data science. What about you, when did you start with Linux? and what is your experience so far and what advice could you offer for beginners like me?

Thank you very much. Very helpful conversa

As you have a UEFI machine, as well as the necessary /boot/efi partition, I would still just have the system (/) partition & (/home) for all other files, just create a directory/folder for your, presume, downloaded software, but you should find that you have a Downloads folder already.
I am not sure if 512 MB is sufficient for the operating system. Do you think it is sufficient? if not, it is possible to add more storage into it? I was thinking to make 100GB for the operating system. Thank you gain for your suggestion.

I am not sure if 512 MB is sufficient for the operating system
Your EFI/Boot will take up a ittle more than 512Mb generally.
Set aside /100Gb as you stated, and let linux decide how much in needs for each partition, swap/efi/etc (do the automated install).
You don't need to make it harder than it needs to be ;)

Screenshot from 2023-08-08 12-02-18.png

Last edited:
I am not sure if 512 MB is sufficient for the operating system.
from your previous post, that sounds like the size of your EFI System Partition or esp:
In my case, while installing, the system created automatically two partitions, one for the system under the mounting point "/boot/efi" which is 512 MB and another one with 476.4 GB in mounting point "/var".
that just stores some files ubuntu will use to boot the system. from those numbers, it sounds like the 476.4 GB partition is your root (sometimes noted as /) partition.

some info on the efi system partition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_system_partition

Yes, 512MB is a common size for your /boot/efi partition, the root (/) partition should be at least double the suggested size, as you have plenty of space, & the rest of the disk will be (/home) for all your files.

It is a bit strage, because I had been working with Windows for years. But I was aware about this and decided to learn it as it is suitable for data science. What about you, when did you start with Linux? and what is your experience so far and what advice could you offer for beginners like me?
I started using and learning Linux 13 years ago.
Since then I've learned how to run Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian and Slackware and more.

The Debian Administrators Handbook is a real gem when you don't understand how to run Linux. You can read it online for free or find the PDF and download it to your pc.

Slackware is not for beginners however; it's a very stable Linux operating system and in running it 10 years plus I have had 2 small problems that were easily fixed.

1. Best advice: Learn how to run the Package Management System of your installed Linux distro and get to know it well.
That way you won't be intimidated by your os.
2. Read the documentation of your Linux os and take notes.
3. Use your Linux os everyday.
4. Learn the command line at your own pace.

Enjoy your newly installed Linux Ubuntu and the rest of the week!

Hi Alex,
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with Linux and the advices and materials you shared. By now, I learned the basic commands you shared.
Yesterday strage happened. I could not login to my PC. I donot understand why this has happend. I am sure the password is correct and able to login in in the Terminal using CTRL+ALT+F3. Do you have any idea on this?

Thank you.

Me, the primary 1TB SSD has 3 partitions.

• sda1 - FAT32; boot files.
  • sda2 - Ext3; the "kennels", with all Pups in their own sub-directory.
  • sda3 - Ext3; all my portable applications, backups, movie files, etc.

Secondary 3TB data HDD, 3 partitions.

• sdb1 - Ext3; all my Puppy apps and Puppy stuff I've collected/developed over the years.
  • sdb2 - Ext3; a whole miscellaneous collection of odd's & ends (around 450 GB-worth ATM), including various different installs of 'portable' WINE for both 32- and 64-bit Pups, with linked prefixes.
  • sdb3 - 64GB of swap (for hibernation/suspending + everything else it gets used for, etc).

Plus a couple of external 500GB USB 3.0 HDDs for additional OS + personal data backups, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Everybody's set-up is different, but I believe most of us "long-termers" have a couple of things in common; keeping personal data effectively 'disconnected' from all the system stuff, so it's never affected by any melt-downs.......and an insistence on maintaining regular backups. Of course, you need ample disk space for this, too.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Yesterday strage happened. I could not login to my PC. I donot understand why this has happend. I am sure the password is correct and able to login in in the Terminal using CTRL+ALT+F3.
can you explain what happens when you try to log in normally? do you not get a login screen or it doesn't seem to do anything if you type in your password?

Hi Alex,
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with Linux and the advices and materials you shared. By now, I learned the basic commands you shared.
Yesterday strage happened. I could not login to my PC. I donot understand why this has happend. I am sure the password is correct and able to login in in the Terminal using CTRL+ALT+F3. Do you have any idea on this?

Thank you.
You're welcome.
The only thing that comes to mind is the .iso file of the distro that you downloaded and if it's corrupt or not.
Did you verify the integrity of the .iso file?

You're welcome.
The only thing that comes to mind is the .iso file of the distro that you downloaded and if it's corrupt or not.
Did you verify the integrity of the .iso file?

I see, but I donot know how to verify it.

can you explain what happens when you try to log in normally? do you not get a login screen or it doesn't seem to do anything if you type in your password?
i do get log in screen. But after giving my username and password, it takes hours and hours without response.

to try and clarify, did that previously work as expected? you were able to log into the system at the graphical login screen? if so, did you make any changes since then like updating your system or installing anything new?
I am sure the password is correct and able to login in in the Terminal using CTRL+ALT+F3
when you log in with that method, can you start a desktop session by running the command

startx

Last edited:
The current version of Ubuntu is 22.04.3 LTS-

Go to the page where you downloaded your .iso of Ubuntu Linux that you installed.
Somewhere on that page should be a SHA256sum or a MD5sum.

See the file I've attached. It shows where I used md5sum (name of Debian distro's .iso) and shows a signature.
IF the signature doesn't match exactly letter for letter and number by number then the .iso is corrupt:-

Also: the application/program you used and the USB device's condition matters as well.
Did you use Rufus? Balena Etcher?

Attachments

• MD5.png
    MD5.png
    101.7 KB · Views: 110
i do get log in screen. But after giving my username and password, it takes hours and hours without response.
It shouldn't take hours-
Where did you download Ubuntu from?

The current version of Ubuntu is 22.04.3 LTS-

Go to the page where you downloaded your .iso of Ubuntu Linux that you installed.
Somewhere on that page should be a SHA256sum or a MD5sum.

See the file I've attached. It shows where I used md5sum (name of Debian distro's .iso) and shows a signature.
IF the signature doesn't match exactly letter for letter and number by number then the .iso is corrupt:-

Also: the application/program you used and the USB device's condition matters as well.
Did you use Rufus? Balena Etcher?
Thank you. I will try it but the CTRL+ALT+F3 is no more working for some reason I donot know. I used Rufus.

If you read my "how do I" guide [link below] you can use it as a checklist, and it will give you some links for the bits you're not sure of.

Thank you. I will try it but the CTRL+ALT+F3 is no more working for some reason I donot know. I used Rufus.
You're welcome.

This is the link for the latest release's for Rufus.

I would download a fresh .iso of Ubuntu and this time verify the .iso.

And check out Brickwizard's links:
Linux Tips.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts