Parental controls on linux

WolfgangAlpha

Reaction score
Credits
We are getting a home computer for the family and will be running Pop OS and this will be our first time using linux.
We would like to add some kind of parental controls program to block adult sites and turn off and on at scheduled times. Could someone please point me in the direction of a good program?

Thanks

I will mention that POP OS is tailored to run on hardware sold by the System76 company. It will sometimes have issues running on other hardware. We see these problems fairly regularly.

KG, thanks and I totally agree. We got a mini PC from them. Probably not the best choice but it is mostly a kids computer.

KG, thanks and I totally agree. We got a mini PC from them. Probably not the best choice but it is mostly a kids computer.

I've yet to buy any of their hardware, though I probably should do so to support the company.

From what I've read over the years, they're making good products. People seem genuinely happy with their hardware. So, with good administration and user management, you can hopefully have a trouble-free computer that the kids can use without interrupting you to fix it.

if you end up with a chrome browser, or chrome based......I typed leechbit into the chrome Web Store, and it returned the apps below

1689207470051.png

Another place to look is your firewall/router. Some firewall/routers offer parental controls. The rules that you set can be applied to all devices inside your home network, including new ones that have not been seen before. I have no idea how good they are in actual use. All I know is that parental controls are included with some firewalls.

I use a small business firewall. It lets you configure filtering by category. We are all adults here and I trust them regarding security, so I have the firewall configured to allow anything. A handful of the worst categories pop up an "Are you sure?" dialog box with an explanation of why the site may be a concern. You click Yes, and it allows the connection. I could easily configure it to prompt for authentication with a username/password or stronger, or simply block without prompting.

As they grow up, young people quickly learn from their friends how to bypass parental restrictions. It is easy. Nothing beats spending time with your children and discussing the real issues, helping them learn best practices and why they are important. That means sitting down at the computer with your children, the same as if you were coaching them to play baseball or other sports.

Another place to look is your firewall/router. Some firewall/routers offer parental controls.
There are also dns providers that facilitate in blocking of adult and other explicit content, find one of these and configure your router to use it.

I think you should check out NextDNS. You may also install these settings on your router so you will have control over ALL devices in your home. Not just a computer.
1689338297211.png

NextDNS also claims they can block your children ByPass using VPNs and such. I never tried it, but there you go.
1689338405212.png

We are getting a home computer for the family and will be running Pop OS and this will be our first time using linux.
We would like to add some kind of parental controls program to block adult sites and turn off and on at scheduled times. Could someone please point me in the direction of a good program?

Thanks
One popular choice is using OpenDNS, a cloud-based DNS service that allows you to filter and block certain categories of websites. It can be configured at the router level, so it applies to all devices on your home network.

Members online