Solved OpenVPN, Fedora 38 KDE, MFA NordVPN

Solved issue

malonn

Reaction score
Credits
Before I ask a question of my VPN provider, I thought I'd ask here. I have MFA set up for my VPN (provided by NordVPN). I'm using OpenVPN to connect (or whatever), but I can't connect. How do I set up MFA within OpenVPN? My username and password are not allowing a connection. It keeps prompting me for a password, which I assumed was for my MFA code, but when I entered it, it still didn't connect. What are my options here? I am using my OS's network manager to connect because it's super easy. I'd like to continue doing that. I know I can disable MFA, but I like MFA in some circumstances (a forum is overkill, but a banking site is not, nahmean).

Well, I disabled MFA and it still won't let me connect. Password should be right, as it allows me to log into my NordVPN account online. Time to go to NordVPN help...

Well, I disabled MFA and it still won't let me connect. Password should be right, as it allows me to log into my NordVPN account online. Time to go to NordVPN help...
@malonn I am a NordVPN user and here is what you should do:

** Open your web browser to the NordVPN page and login with your credentials i.e. your registration email and password.

** You are now on your dashboard ( my.nordaccount.com/dashboard/nordvpn.). Scroll all the way down and look for "Manual setup" and click the button that says Set up NordVPN manually. You will be asked to verify your email.

**After the verification is completed you will see a "username" and "password" which is different from your registration name and pass.
THIS is what you should use with OpenVPN.

Shoot, @PuppyHome, brother, you saved my life from a miserable, painful death! You earned lifelong gratitude from the @malonn. Now, that doesn't mean much, but whatever...

What threw me (shameless self-defense) was I that I used to use NordVPN about 2 or 3 years ago, and the process was different. The credentials that logged me into the website was also used to connect the VPN service. They must have changed that for security purposes.

This site touts to be the most helpful Linux website on the net, and my experience backs that up. Though, Linux Mint Forums was pretty helpful too. Fedora Forums has login issues, yet was helpful.

Last edited:
Do you use MFA? Experience with that?

Reminder...

We have children that visit the site. Let's avoid the vulgarities, thanks.

I'd say we're "PG-13", but that is way different than the PG-13 that I recall them implementing. So, somewhere closer to a G rating is preferred.

(I swear like a trooper, though not in polite company.)

I do but only for banking and such and activate it manually when I need it. In EasyOS I use an app developped by a Puppy Linux community member which (sort of) uses Open VPN as the working mechanism and on my Parrot Home box I've installed NordVPN as per the install procedure the the Nord site.

But yeah, it works perfectly. No issues on my end.

Reminder...

We have children that visit the site. Let's avoid the vulgarities, thanks.

I'd say we're "PG-13", but that is way different than the PG-13 that I recall them implementing. So, somewhere closer to a G rating is preferred.

(I swear like a trooper, though not in polite company.)
Oops. I do apologize. I can have a potty mouth at times. I got excited for an easy fix.

I do but only for banking and such and activate it manually when I need it. In EasyOS I use an app developped by a Puppy Linux community member which (sort of) uses Open VPN as the working mechanism and on my Parrot Home box I've installed NordVPN as per the install procedure the the Nord site.

But yeah, it works perfectly. No issues on my end.
Ok, you don't use MFA for NordVPN. In my troubleshooting, I came across some disgruntled Linux users re: the Network Manager. I was just curious of your experience, if you had one. But, what better way to know it, than to do it.

In EasyOS I use an app developped by a Puppy Linux community member
@PuppyHome , may I ask what app is it ?

As for the OP, here is what I do for Nordvpn.

* Open the terminal and enter
nordvpn login

you will be presented with a link, open that link and sign on

* come back to the terminal to continue with Nordvpn commands that you desire

I don't use Nord, but I use some other VPN solutions ( OpenVPN, CyberGhost, ExpressVPN )
every single one I use has MFA, usually Microsoft Authenticator on my cell phone.

* Open the terminal and enter
nordvpn login

you will be presented with a link, open that link and sign on

* come back to the terminal to continue with Nordvpn commands that you desire
I like using the Network Manager. Easier—one click.

I don't use Nord, but I use some other VPN solutions ( OpenVPN, CyberGhost, ExpressVPN )
every single one I use has MFA, usually Microsoft Authenticator on my cell phone.
What OS (distro) are you running? How do you connect to the VPN service?

By the way, I found out that Nord did, indeed, change their login procedure. Last month they moved from account credentials to service credentials. I wasn't expecting that. But, it's documented on their site. RTFM.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts