Online Connections no longer work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle Robin

Reaction score
Credits
Is it my MSI laptop? or

What is the cause of me no longer being able to go online?

I suspect it's my Laptop, as Windows is also affected with no online connection.

If it is my computer, is there a remedy?, or would I need to buy a new laptop?

At one point, when trying to log in to Windows or Linux, Ii couldn't enter my Log In password, but a day later, I regained access to logging in.

This is another reason why I think the technical problems are Laptop related.

If the latter, are there any UK web sites that have Linux pre-installed that have MX Linux pre-installed?, or another Linux distro that would enable me to multiple boot or overwrite with MX Linux?

Attempting to find answers on my Smartphone to re-enable going online with my Laptop, nothing works or it's too complex to follow.

If a New laptop is the best and quickest option, I'll do this, but if I do, I'd prefer to buy one from a UK business, to save on postage, and which allows PayPal, especially if buying from a business I've never purchased from before.

I can access my documents and anything Already downloaded, or always offline, but I can't go online for general surfing, downloading, nothing with my Laptop.

I'm being asked:

Authentication is required to mount my device, which is in the Linux directory sda1.

I've pulled out of this, in case Mounting anything is best avoided at this stage.

Above those details, the Terminal states:

Found a dos partition table in /dev/sda

sudo fsck /dev/sda

Bad magic number in super-block
fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open/dev/sda

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:

e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
or
e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

While helpful, I don't know where to locate the <device> details the instructions require.

Also, unlike before, whenever I load up MX Linux via my USB stick, it no longer prompts me for a Router password to connect online.

Instead, it reads as follows:

Ethernet Network
disconnected

Wi-Fi Networks
Wi-Fi is disabled

VPN Connections
Add a VPN connection...

All but the VPN details are greyed out for some reason.

I'm not yet ready to add a VPN, as I'd need to research which is the best for my needs and compare costs, but as you can see, like in Windows, Linux detects that I have a wired Ethernet, but it won't connect online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online