Online Connections no longer work

Castle Robin

Reaction score
Credits
Is it my MSI laptop? or

What is the cause of me no longer being able to go online?

I suspect it's my Laptop, as Windows is also affected with no online connection.

If it is my computer, is there a remedy?, or would I need to buy a new laptop?

If the latter, are there any UK web sites that have Linux pre-installed that have MX Linux pre-installed?, or another Linux distro that would enable me to multiple boot or overwrite with MX Linux?

Attempting to find answers on my Smartphone to re-enable going online with my Laptop, nothing works or it's too complex to follow.

If a New laptop is the best and quickest option, I'll do this, but if I do, I'd prefer to buy one from a UK business, to save on postage, and which allows PayPal, especially if buying from a business I've never purchased from before.

I can access my documents and anything Already downloaded, but can't go online for general surfing, downloading, nothing with my Laptop.

I'm being asked:

Authentication is required to mount my device, which is in the Linux directory sda1.

I've pulled out of this, in case Mounting anything is best avoided at this stage.

Above those details, the Terminal states

Found a dog partition table in /dev/sda

sudofsck /dev/sdz

Bad magic number in super-block
fscl.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open/dev/sda

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem (and not swap of us of something else), then the superbly is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
or
e2fsck -b 32768 <device

The superblockcould not br tead or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem. If

If it doesn't work in Windows and it doesn't work in Linux, it's almost certainly a hardware problem. I'd try a generic wireless adapter to see if you can connect with that. You can also try tethering your phone over the USB cable, assuming your phone and plan support that.

Also, you may have a hardware switch on your laptop that disables wireless. It's usually an Fn type of key. That'd also explain why it's not working in both operating systems.

My double post relating to the now locked thread will be because I'm not used to using Smartphones to go online. The only option I have available to me at present.

Last edited:
If it doesn't work in Windows and it doesn't work in Linux, it's almost certainly a hardware problem. I'd try a generic wireless adapter to see if you can connect with that. You can also try tethering your phone over the USB cable, assuming your phone and plan support that.
I'll look into a wireless adapter.

I'll also look into tethering.

Also, you may have a hardware switch on your laptop that disables wireless. It's usually an Fn type of key. That'd also explain why it's not working in both operating systems.
I'll also investigate a potential hardware switch.

All I know for sure is that Windows would sometimes require an F key, I think F11, if my online connection didn't work, which would then restore it.

The FN key also rings a bell. I'll try it in conjunction with other keys.

Frustratingly, so far no luck with anything. Not even the Command line (offline) options advised on the Internet via this phone.

Some instructions on those sites too complex, or simple to follow, but some of the Commands aren't recognised.

I'll persevere with your recommendations in the hope that I can restore my online connections soon.

If not, a new laptop, preferably UK based, most likely online (as not everywhere in this country has Linux shops or online stores), if possible with PayPal, may be my best option, but I'll try your suggestions first.

All laptops have a wi-fi hard block [otherwise known as flight mode] depending on the make and model this will be controlled by either a dedicated switch on the laptop or by a key combination fn+*, the first thing is to make sure it has not accidentally been switched off, if this doesn't work, then can you connect it by Ethernet cable to a router? If it works then it is likely the inbuilt wi-fi is shot, get your hands on a Linux compatible usb wi-fi [buy or borrow from a friend] and see if that works, if not it may be a problem with the network adaptor, this is a bench job to change.
Which part of the uk are you in?

The wi-fi key on an MSI laptop is FN+F10

All laptops have a wi-fi hard block [otherwise known as flight mode] depending on the make and model this will be controlled by either a dedicated switch on the laptop or by a key combination fn+*, the first thing is to make sure it has not accidentally been switched off, if this doesn't work, then can you connect it by Ethernet cable to a router? If it works then it is likely the inbuilt wi-fi is shot, get your hands on a Linux compatible usb wi-fi [buy or borrow from a friend] and see if that works, if not it may be a problem with the network adaptor, this is a bench job to change.
Hi Brickwizard

I've tried the F and Fn10 key combination, but unlike before Saturday evening, it's no longer restoring an online connection.

I have an Ethernet cable for a Wired connection (but between my laptop and wall socket), but since Saturday, no luck.

I think it must be a worn network adapter.

I'm in the vicinity of Portsmouth.

If there are any Linux shops in the UK, there'll more than likely be on the Mainland, rather than on islands.

A shop would be better, if possible, then I could ask the salesperson to give me laptop options, and if they have MX Linux pre-instslled

For interest, does Linux have an equivalent of the Character Map, for symbols and foreign letters, etc?;

Also, when MX Linux freezes for variable durations, sometimes having to be turned off at the On/Off switch, is there a Command Line option to prevent this freezing?

Turn off every device that is connected & reset the router with a pin ?

The FN key also rings a bell.

Right... It'd be an Fn + F11 key for MSI (I think, it is so on mine) and it's called "Airplane mode".

So, be patient and switch back and forth between the Fn + F11 key. As in press it, wait a minute or three, and see if anything happens. Press it again and see if it changes. Try alternating with the shift key.

Other than that, it's a hardware issue - and I'm kinda inclined (simply from seeing this so many times) to suspect it's the airplane mode. In some cases, it's Fn + F8 - as memory serves. I've owned a few MSI, but I'm down to just one at the moment. With MSI, I think there's some variations within the MSI family.

So, play around with the Fn + F* combinations and be patient. The change can take a few seconds for the OS to recognize it. If you're more comfortable with Windows, do so with Windows. Ain't no shame in using what you're most comfortable with for something like this.

OK one last throw of the dice, with the machine switched on, press and hold the power button down for 60 seconds, release and switch on, this often clears problems associated with the USB bus

If you have tried all the previous suggestions then try a cold boot of the router, if its a BT/Plus home hub pull the power cable without switching off and pull the cable to the socket, leave for 5 mins, plug back in and switch back on . if its another, then switch off for 5 mins,
Sorry, I don't have any workshop contacts in your area, look for a small independent one, steer clear of PCWorld or any other big group repairs are over the top on price.
WARNING if you go down the route of a replacement, be aware that some very new components won't have drivers available

Turn off every device that is connected & reset the router with a pin ?
Thanks for your advice.

I don't know how to reset my router with a pin, but I have some good news. My Internet is now restored.

Last edited:
Right... It'd be an Fn + F11 key for MSI (I think, it is so on mine) and it's called "Airplane mode".

So, be patient and switch back and forth between the Fn + F11 key. As in press it, wait a minute or three, and see if anything happens. Press it again and see if it changes. Try alternating with the shift key.

Other than that, it's a hardware issue - and I'm kinda inclined (simply from seeing this so many times) to suspect it's the airplane mode. In some cases, it's Fn + F8 - as memory serves. I've owned a few MSI, but I'm down to just one at the moment. With MSI, I think there's some variations within the MSI family.

So, play around with the Fn + F* combinations and be patient. The change can take a few seconds for the OS to recognize it. If you're more comfortable with Windows, do so with Windows. Ain't no shame in using what you're most comfortable with for something like this.
With perseverance, thanks to you and the other responders, I've discovered that it's Fn + F12 that restores the Internet on this 2011 laptop.

Those two keys result in a temporary black screen.

You then click Fn + F12 again, then the screen prompts for a Password.

That's in Windows.

After thinking the connection was restored, it isn't -

As an example, YouTube hangs with

IPv4 Connectivity: Internet

IPv6 Connectivity: No network access

Fn + F12 have removed the Red Cross offline and replaced it with 5 white vertical bars, yet still not connecting.

Last edited:
OK one last throw of the dice, with the machine switched on, press and hold the power button down for 60 seconds, release and switch on, this often clears problems associated with the USB bus

If you have tried all the previous suggestions then try a cold boot of the router, if its a BT/Plus home hub pull the power cable without switching off and pull the cable to the socket, leave for 5 mins, plug back in and switch back on . if its another, then switch off for 5 mins,
Sorry, I don't have any workshop contacts in your area, look for a small independent one, steer clear of PCWorld or any other big group repairs are over the top on price.
WARNING if you go down the route of a replacement, be aware that some very new components won't have drivers available
I currently have EE (which is owned by BT) for my Broadband.

I'll keep a note of the information you and others have given me for future reference.

If/when this laptop needs replacing, another laptop, a desktop or Chromebook with Linux would be viable options.

I'll also keep in mind your advice to avoid companies which have high price repair costs.

PS: I have done a comparison between Windows and Linux, and I can now narrow down the Online blockage to Windows, only -

In Windows, I tested Youtube - It kept hanging.

In MX Linux, I also tested Youtube - it works perfectly.

So, the MSI laptop, itself is now confirmed to not be faulty, but presumably the Windows Network Adapter has corrupted, so I'll use just Linux for online connections from now on.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see in my profile Menu the option to "Download Linux".

This must mean that Smartphones can also run Linux?

I'll try to find out I'd Linux has a Character Map and a simple solution to stop the CPU periodically freezing Linux whereby Linux eventually resumes, or in other cases requires the On/Off switch then a new log in.

I gather that Windows and Mac, and probably also BSD? can also be affected my high CPU.

If/when thus laptop needs replacing, another laptop, a desktop or Chromebook with Linux would be viable options.
For easier Linux installation, try to get a pre-used W10 [or earlier] made before 2022

I agree about pre-Windows 10.

Microsoft have added extra barriers to replacing or installing as extras one or more Linux distros on the same hard drive.

Last edited:

Staff online