Oh! NO! Tell Me it ant's so!

I checked the date, in hope that it was April 1st.

I hope this is voted down very hard. One of those things, on the dreaded "0A" plus a hard disk death, made me feel like I lost a son and made me perpetually dislike Windows Vista and later. This was after enough times Windows7 redrew entire screens, flashed entire screens, took a long time to start up and did other things to indicate it was sloppily put together. To myself I called it "dirty fingernails". Convinced by Windows8 it wasn't getting any better.

I don't mind the concept.

I mind the QR code.

The reason I use Linux, is because it's not like Windows, and it seems seem people want to make it more like Windows.
:rolleyes:

The reason I use Linux, is because it's not like Windows, and it seems seem people want to make it more like Windows.
:rolleyes:
@dos2unix :-

Hasn't Shuttleworth been saying for years that he sees Ubuntu as THE direct competition to Windows..?

That said, there's nowt wrong with making an OS more "user-friendly", even if that does mean adding GUIs for the average 'point-n-click" Joe out there. I do quite a bit of this myself.....mainly for me (even after a decade of being Windows-free, I still like my GUIs), and also because it helps to attract new users to Puppyland.....

(shrug...)

Mike. ;)

Oh dear, just when you think you've heard everything...that will be the day.
m0502.gif

As long you get the option of disabling it, help posts will become worse this way as someone on another forum pointed out.

from the article....
Apparently, there’ll be a sysdemd update which gives some (most) Linux users a BSOD in the event of a boot failure. Based on this article, it would actually be useful, so I wouldn’t mind it, though I’m unlikely to ever experience it.
Likewise, I would be unlikely to ever experience it.
I see this as a good thing. (Although I do look forward to seeing an influx of bsod memes !!)

""Users will no longer need to trundle around countless forums and articles. With the BSOD system in place, their troubleshooting will be more in line with what many are already used to.

Considering most of the popular Linux distributions are based on systemd, it should be a good thing for many users.""

I suppose it could be "turned off' by simply keeping systemd locked at version 249.

But really for the average Joe, getting some intuitive info re why their Linux system just blue screened HAS TO BE a step in the right direction.
For one thing it may well save some of the countless approaches to Linux forums asking the inevitable quaetion..."why did my brand new Linux fail to boot etc etc ???"

From a small read I did it seems that it's an error info screen that helps solve a major problem about which otherwise you would have no info at all. It's just an unfortunate color choice, The Linux screen of death could be green or purple, no problems then

It's just an unfortunate color choice, The Linux screen of death could be green or purple, no problems then
They should at least make it customizable and have the option to turn it off to make it acceptable. Or I could just move back to Windows.

Code:
systemctl disable bsod.service
systemctl mask bsod.service
I did see that, let's just hope it stays that way. It's a static service so disabling isn't going to do anything, just masking it is enough. Now we'll have to wait to see if they make it customizable as in the color of the bsod screen and maybe other things too.

I wouldn't turn back to the key logging realm, I will take the BSOD as it is

I have nothing to worry about this because I use MX Linux and don't use SystemD so no Blue Screen Of Death. ;)

@dos2unix :-

Hasn't Shuttleworth been saying for years that he sees Ubuntu as THE direct competition to Windows..?

That said, there's nowt wrong with making an OS more "user-friendly", even if that does mean adding GUIs for the average 'point-n-click" Joe out there. I do quite a bit of this myself.....mainly for me (even after a decade of being Windows-free, I still like my GUIs), and also because it helps to attract new users to Puppyland.....

(shrug...)

Mike. ;)
Ubuntu is Microsoft's version of Linux.

From a small read I did it seems that it's an error info screen that helps solve a major problem about which otherwise you would have no info at all. It's just an unfortunate color choice, The Linux screen of death could be green or purple, no problems then
It will give as useful information as it did on Windows.

I have nothing to worry about this because I use MX Linux and don't use SystemD so no Blue Screen Of Death. ;)
Code:
systemctl status systemd-bsod.service
○ systemd-bsod.service
     Loaded: masked (Reason: Unit systemd-bsod.service is masked.)
     Active: inactive (dead)
Ubuntu is Microsoft's version of Linux.
We're not fighting a war here, don't talk ill of other distributions because it doesn't help anyone and Ubuntu is still a Linux distribution. I have nothing against systemd, some decisions(like this one) they make I just don't agree with which is the same with other decisions that sometimes get made by projects(or companies) in the opensource world. It's nothing new that when it comes to certain decisions a lot of people in the opensource world tend to disagree and fork or disagree and complain and then move on with their lives.

Members online