nooby trying to install unetbootin or anything in raspbian

We're gonna need more information than that...

That's like asking, "Why does my car make a noise?"

I read the link about the rules and don't feel as though i have posted anything in violation of those rule so I'm a little confused about the link. Sorry my question was sub-par. my post stated that I was new to linux and this forum. Maybe soon I'll be able to learn how to ask a good support question. And I would love it if someone could tell me why my car is making that noise!

Open your software manager and search for "unetbootin", then click and install. The other option is to open a terminal and search for it using.
Code:
sudo apt search unetbootin
Then if it finds it you can install it like this.
Code:
sudo apt install unetbootin
I haven't used raspian in a long so I don't know if it's even available on their but from all the recent posts I've seen across the net is that unetbootin doesn't work more often than it does.
We're gonna need more information than that...
why does all of the command line text I copy and paste to my terminal not work?
Your description of describing "it doesn't work" is quite vague. You could have shared your terminal output it would have given a better idea of what you meant when you said it doesn't work., it's not like we can read your mind.

There could be a few reasons why the command line text you're copying and pasting into your terminal isn't working:
  1. Formatting issues: Sometimes when you copy and paste text from a website or other sources, it might include hidden characters, formatting, or line breaks that can cause issues when pasted into the terminal. To avoid this, you can try copying the text into a plain text editor (like Notepad) first, then copy it again from there and paste it into the terminal.
  2. Incorrect or outdated commands: The commands you are using might be incorrect or outdated. Double-check the instructions and make sure they are up-to-date and relevant to your specific version of Raspbian.
  3. Missing dependencies or repositories: Some commands might require certain packages or repositories to be installed or enabled on your system. Ensure that you have the necessary dependencies installed and the appropriate repositories enabled.
  4. Insufficient privileges: Some commands require root privileges to be executed. If you are trying to execute a command that requires root access, make sure to prepend the command with sudo. For example, sudo apt-get install unetbootin.
  5. Command not found: The command you're trying to run might not be available in your current PATH or might not be installed on your system. Make sure the command you're trying to run is available on your system.
To install UNetbootin on Raspbian, you can follow these steps:
  1. Update your package list:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
  1. Install UNetbootin:
Code:
sudo apt-get install unetbootin

If UNetbootin is not available in the default repositories, you can try downloading it from the official website (https://unetbootin.github.io/) and follow the installation instructions provided there. Note that UNetbootin might not be optimized for Raspberry Pi

Open your software manager and search for "unetbootin", then click and install. The other option is to open a terminal and search for it

You was a little faster then me >_<

unetbootin isn't in rpios or the Debian repos for arm/arm64.

The website only has PC builds none for arm/arm64.

Etcher can be installed in rpios, just download the correct version from:

I read the link about the rules and don't feel as though i have posted anything in violation of those rule so I'm a little confused about the link.

That's just my signature. It shows up on all my posts. You didn't break any rules, you just asked a very vague question. We can only speculate with that little information.

It's hard to ask a good support question. It takes effort and time. It's something you'll get better at over time, probably.

The suggestions above are good and they will also help @4signals (the OP) learn Linux and feel more comfortable with the Terminal and typing (or copying and pasting) commands. It takes practice and mistakes to learn anything.

All too often on forums where I help, threads start with the solution instead of asking the most basic questions:
-> What are the requirements? What does the OP want to accomplish? Where are we going with this?What is the goal?

I think the OP wants to create bootable USB drives from downloadable .iso image files so that they boot them on their Raspberry Pi device. Is that right?

-> If so, can the bootable USB .isos be created on another device like a Windows or Mac computer for convenience? Would that be easier or more convenient?

I believe it's crucial for us to learn how to use the terminal right from the start, as it can make our computing experience much more efficient. I've even started using PowerShell on Windows to familiarize myself with it, and I've realized there's so much I've missed by not using it before, even though I've been using PCs since the '80s. However, it's also important to have a genuine interest in learning how Linux works. Making mistakes and encountering failures are essential stepping stones towards becoming proficient in Linux. Over the years, I've broken numerous distros while striving to improve my Linux skills.

The last 3 times I tried to use unetbootin it was broken.
It looked like it was going to boot the .iso on the usb but it just hung.

unetbootin is sufficiently broken, for it to not be included in the Linux Mint Software Manager anymore.

I agree 100% with the unetbootin being not that great, but we did have one person (two, if I recall correctly - but I'd have to dig into search results more) who asserted that they've used it multiple times with success.

There was at least one other person who also claimed to be using it with success.

I suppose it won't take too much to test it to see if maybe they've finally made it operable again. It's way too late in the day for me to undertake that test and I already did my daily testing (next Lubuntu version).

The important thing to keep in mind here is that Raspbian runs on ARM processors. As I said above, I would like to know the requirements. What, exactly, does @4signals want to accomplish?

Are they trying to create live USB flash drives that boot ARM-based Linux on the Raspberry Pi device?

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am trying to create bootable usb drives to try other distros for my pcs as well as for my pi. I run mint on my laptop and buster raspbain on my raspberry pi 4. So, craigevil was right I think unetbootin isn't in the raspbain respo the command line was telling me that the unetbootin could not be found. Ventoy and another would not install either, no doubt the same issue (ARM). But much to my surprize I was able to create bootable usb from iso's using the pi imager! I've learned that for it to boot on PI it needs to be a ARM iso and for pc's use the regular iso's which the imager created both for me. Just test drove tails. I love the fact that I can just boot to a usb and don't have to install in order to try it out. Thanks again everyone, I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

I am trying to create bootable usb drives to try other distros for my pcs
In that case, the choice par excellence is VENTOY

Read the blurb carefully....it really is as simple as it sounds.

To create a Bootable Flash Drive in Mint you could use USB Image Writer or install Etcher.
m1213.gif

Better still you could use Ventoy as suggested by Condobloke...here is a very easy video on how to install Ventoy in Linux...it's then a matter of just dragging the ISOs in to it.
m1212.gif

If you have a Windows PC, I recommend using it to create a bootable USB or disk as it is much easier. You can use the tool Rufus, which can be found at https://rufus.ie.

All good suggestions. But I'm trying to use my pi with buster to create bootable usb drives. ventoy, rufus, unetbootin, Etcher, all will not install on my pi. On my mint laptop however, unetbootin runs fine as does the built in usb imager. also just figured out how to boot my pi from a usb drive. was happy to learn about the sudo raspi-config command!

I used Rufus in recent years. A few weeks ago I learned about balena Etcher here on Linux.org. I like Etcher better than Rufus. You may want to try it:

Why i don't like Etcher is last time I used it I couldn't make a Windows bootable USB had to used another Linux program for that.

Members online

Latest posts