No connection even though the network app shows my computer IS connected.

glnman

Reaction score
Credits
I freshly installed Mint 21.2 yesterday and all was well. Today, I booted into Mint only to find that it takes several minutes to load after I log in, and even though the network shows me wifi connected, I can't connect with anything - Firefox, software manager, or anything else. How do I fix this?

What's the output of ping linux.org?

Does it ping? (Press CTRL + C to stop the pinging process.)

What's the output of systemd-analyze blame?

(Just the first dozen entries should be enough and press Q to quit the output of the command when you're done with it.)

What's the output of ping linux.org?

Does it ping? (Press CTRL + C to stop the pinging process.)

What's the output of systemd-analyze blame?

(Just the first dozen entries should be enough and press Q to quit the output of the command when you're done with it.)
OK, the ping says "linux.org" not known

12 lines of systemd are as follows:

10.147s gpu-manager.service
9.939s networkmanager-wait-online.service
9.779s plymouth-quit-wait.service
1.923s systemd-udev-settle.service
650ms systemd-random-seed.service
628ms dev-sda6.device
479ms ufw.service
299ms udisk2.service
283ms firewalld.service
198ms [email protected]
188ms systemd-journal-flush.service
181ms 2fs-load-module.service

OK, the ping says "linux.org" not known

12 lines of systemd are as follows:

10.147s gpu-manager.service
9.939s networkmanager-wait-online.service
9.779s plymouth-quit-wait.service
1.923s systemd-udev-settle.service
650ms systemd-random-seed.service
628ms dev-sda6.device
479ms ufw.service
299ms udisk2.service
283ms firewalld.service
198ms [email protected]
188ms systemd-journal-flush.service
181ms 2fs-load-module.service
What is the result of ifconfig? It sounds like you are not getting proper IP address or DNS.

The result of ifconfig is every output line shows -0-. So now what to do?

Is it possible to plug the device in via ethernet to run updates?

Below all the zero's it lists an address of inet 192.168.0.233 net mask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255

What happens if you: ping 8.8.8.8
it says 62 packets sent 62 received. Also, My gateway is in a far bedroom and I may not have enough cable to reach it. I prefer a wired connection but that's why it's now wireless.

The result of ifconfig is every output line shows -0-. So now what to do?
I actually was hoping you would give me the results, every line showing something is not the results I need to see. I need to find out what your IP address is from your DHCP server and what DNS it and gateway it gives. Please show the actual results so I can help.
It sounds to me that you are not getting proper info from the DHCP server and I need to know what it is giving

I actually was hoping you would give me the results, every line showing something is not the results I need to see. I need to find out what your IP address is from your DHCP server and what DNS it and gateway it gives. Please show the actual results so I can help.
It sounds to me that you are not getting proper info from the DHCP server and I need to know what it is giving
The only thing it listed was 23 lines of different services - no IP or DNS. But, I did find an IP elsewhere of 192.168.20.233. What else can I do?

well, perhaps ifconfig is not working the same as what i am used to. here are some steps to take.. To me it seems the DNS is not working.
in your network config for the adapter you are using,
1.. set your IP address to automatic or from DHCP
2.. Set your DNS primary to 8.8.8.8
3.. Set your DNS secondary to 8.8.4.4

restart and see if that helps. Often the DNS fails from the ISP so we are hard setting to google DNS which is very stable.
if you still do not function then you will need to find out what IP address pool you are using. you can do this by going to a different computer that is working and see the IP address it has.
You will get something like 192.168.1.15. Your gateway address is simple, just replace the last set of numbers with 1. so it would be in that case, 192.168.1.1 or if your ip of 192.168.20.233 is correct the gateway is 192.168.20.1 If you see an IP that starts with 169 then you are not getting an IP and you should check physical connections.
If you need to set the IP manually just pick a number for that last set. I would pick anything from 11 to 40 and normally they are safe.

You can try those to see what helps, don't worry you won't cause damage. Would be best if we could see the full output of ifconfig but sounds like it is not quite doing what we expect. Try these and options and we work from there. I am off for 4 days so happy new year.

well, perhaps ifconfig is not working the same as what i am used to. here are some steps to take.. To me it seems the DNS is not working.

restart and see if that helps. Often the DNS fails from the ISP so we are hard setting to google DNS which is very stable.
if you still do not function then you will need to find out what IP address pool you are using. you can do this by going to a different computer that is working and see the IP address it has.
You will get something like 192.168.1.15. Your gateway address is simple, just replace the last set of numbers with 1. so it would be in that case, 192.168.1.1 or if your ip of 192.168.20.233 is correct the gateway is 192.168.20.1 If you see an IP that starts with 169 then you are not getting an IP and you should check physical connections.
If you need to set the IP manually just pick a number for that last set. I would pick anything from 11 to 40 and normally they are safe.

You can try those to see what helps, don't worry you won't cause damage. Would be best if we could see the full output of ifconfig but sounds like it is not quite doing what we expect. Try these and options and we work from there. I am off for 4 days so happy new year.
Thanks so much, I'll try all the things you suggest and get back to you in a few days.

instead of ifconfig, maybe ip addr will get @APTI the information they're after?

instead of ifconfig, maybe ip addr will get @APTI the information they're after?
I tried your ip addr and it give the IP address but I also needed the gateway and DNS entries but I I instructed them to enter the famous google DNS since I am fairly sure from what I read from them that that is the problem.

I tried your ip addr and it give the IP address but I also needed the gateway and DNS entries but I I instructed them to enter the famous google DNS since I am fairly sure from what I read from them that that is the problem.

Hmm... The ifconfig is deprecated, they may not have it. We're supposed to use the ip command for it these days though I'm not quite sure which command has the same information.

I was able to copy the ifconfig output from the Linux machine to my Win10 machine so here is the output from that:
<indexing>
<paragraph index="9" node_type="writer">glnman@glnman-desktop:~$ ifconfig</paragraph>
<paragraph index="10" node_type="writer">enp3s0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500</paragraph>
<paragraph index="11" node_type="writer"> ether 08:62:66:2c:69:d6 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)</paragraph>
<paragraph index="12" node_type="writer"> RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)</paragraph>
<paragraph index="13" node_type="writer"> RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0</paragraph>
<paragraph index="14" node_type="writer"> TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B)</paragraph>
<paragraph index="15" node_type="writer"> TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0</paragraph>
<paragraph index="16" node_type="writer"> device interrupt 47 memory 0xfd500000-fd520000 </paragraph>
<paragraph index="18" node_type="writer">lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536</paragraph>
<paragraph index="19" node_type="writer"> inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0</paragraph>
<paragraph index="20" node_type="writer"> inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10<host></paragraph>
<paragraph index="21" node_type="writer"> loop txqueuelen 1000 (Local Loopback)</paragraph>
<paragraph index="22" node_type="writer"> RX packets 437 bytes 34071 (34.0 KB)</paragraph>
<paragraph index="23" node_type="writer"> RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0</paragraph>
<paragraph index="24" node_type="writer"> TX packets 437 bytes 34071 (34.0 KB)</paragraph>
<paragraph index="25" node_type="writer"> TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0</paragraph>
<paragraph index="27" node_type="writer">wlxb07fb94f7458: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500</paragraph>
<paragraph index="28" node_type="writer"> inet 192.168.0.151 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255</paragraph>
<paragraph index="29" node_type="writer"> inet6 fe80::91e3:d031:8b93:f0bc prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link></paragraph>
<paragraph index="30" node_type="writer"> ether b0:7f:b9:4f:74:58 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)</paragraph>
<paragraph index="31" node_type="writer"> RX packets 507 bytes 62550 (62.5 KB)</paragraph>
<paragraph index="32" node_type="writer"> RX errors 0 dropped 204 overruns 0 frame 0</paragraph>
<paragraph index="33" node_type="writer"> TX packets 154 bytes 17717 (17.7 KB)</paragraph>
<paragraph index="34" node_type="writer"> TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0</paragraph>
</indexing>
Also I reset the DNS to google and rebooted - no change in the connection problem!

In addition, I was able to find enough cat 5 cable to connect the gateway to the Linux machine and with ethernet all is well but as soon as I pull the cable off I lose all connection in wireless even though the network shows it's still connected.

Finally, I don't know how to manually change the ip address in Linux.

Members online