No Arch Sound!!

waza_a

Reaction score
Credits
i just installed arch on a usb(live) and got dwm setup with it but i noticed no sound from it . tried pulseAudio and in pavucontrol it shows no cards.. kinda a beginner would love some help here
here is inxi -A

Audio:
Device-1: Intel Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Audio
driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl
API: ALSA v: k6.5.8-arch1-1 status: kernel-api
Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 status: active

kinda a beginner

I'm not sure that I'd recommend Arch to a new user.

However, there was a good post from @osprey about troubleshooting sound issues. They'll be pinged to visit this thread (when they're next online) and they may share that information with you in this thread. You can also go through their recent posts and spot it easily enough.

My suggestion would be to make sure you don't have anything muted, check to see if headphones work, and verify that the volume is indeed turned up. Those are the very basics - and remember that some computers have an Fn + <modifier> key combination that will mute the device.

i just installed arch on a usb(live) and got dwm setup with it but i noticed no sound from it . tried pulseAudio and in pavucontrol it shows no cards.. kinda a beginner would love some help here
here is inxi -A

Audio:
Thanks @KGIII.

The post which may be of some help to you is at: https://linux.org/threads/latitude-3400-speaker-no-audio.47185/#post-208298. However, the problems of that thread and this don't appear to be identical just yet.

The window manager dwm will not be implicated in the sound problem since it's just a window manager.

With a Desktop Environment, like gnome or kde, there are sound configuration tools that the user can click through, but with a minimal window manager like dwn, you need to use other tools.

Since the problem appears to be with pulseaudio on arch, the first port of call would be arch's page on pulseaudio here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting.

Here is a post with a problem with the same driver you have, and a solution which worked there:

If none of that helps, you can return here and describe what you have tried showing output errors.

here is inxi -A

Audio:
Try this, it's worked for me many times.

Wireplumber is the default if PipeWire has issues.

I found out about PipeWire replacing PulseAudio while reading the Debian documentation before my fresh install last week.

If the installation is a default arch, then systemd is present, so the output of these commands may be of interest:
Code:
systemctl status --user pulseaudio.service
systemctl status --user pipewire.service
and to see who is controlling the sound devices:
Code:
lsof /dev/snd/*

Members online